Places to eat in Derry

Most Viewed Restaurants in Derry

• originalribenababy's Profile Photo

Mandarin Karma: Sorry I looked at Tripadvisor....

by originalribenababy Written Apr 17, 2011

We had our hearts set on a Chinese on our day trip to Londonderry. It prop Ed to be trickier than we thought to find a Chinese restaurant. There are lots of nice local pubs, and the usual fast food and weatherspoons but when you get something in your head it's hard to shake it.

Out came the phone and we saw Mandarin Karma on Tripadvisor was a good bet for Chinese, and on further investigation they were doing an all you can eat buffet lunch for £7 per person (12 - 2:30 mon to sat excluding tues if you are interested).

The decor is nice, and the bar is stunning. It's in a nice location on Queens Quay, but sadly the food was disappointing.

I hate to speak ill of somewhere but cream of chicken soup, chips and noodles isn't a great Chinese lunch in my book. Sadly this was about all I could have preferring vegetarian food. There was one soup, 3 appetisers (vege samosas - which were very nice, sesame toast and some sort of battered meat in sauce). There was only 6 dishes for the main which consisted of chips (cooked from frozen, fine but a little lazy), noodles, fried rice, chicken curry, beef in black bean sauce and I think pork in some sauce.

It's hard to judge somewhere on a buffet lunch when they are better known for al a carte, but if I had to judge on this one visit I probably wouldn't be back. Instead, if I had done a general search rather than went straight to reviews, I would have gone to China China just around the corner on the Strand which did a cheaper all you can eat with potentially more options.

Favorite Dish: I liked their vegetable samosas best and basically just are them for my main course. Shame.

Cafe Grianan: A Local Diner with a Political Twist

by BillNJ Updated Dec 6, 2009

Cafe Grianan is a small diner on William Street in the Derry city centre. I stopped in after it had started raining heavily again. While inside, I decided to have an order of chips with gravy -- and a cup of coffee.

After my visit, I learned that the cafe is owned by the wife of Sinn Féin politician, Martin McGuinness, who is presently the Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland. Since Martin McGuinness is a staunch Irish Nationalist and a former Provisional IRA leader, it is not surprising that the cafe contains artwork with political themes such as the Free Derry Corner.

Favorite Dish: The chips with gravy were good. I also would have liked to have tried their traditional fish and chips.

Bloom's Cafe: Unique Non-Profit Cafe on the Historic Walls

by BillNJ Updated Nov 28, 2009

While sightseeing, I stopped into Bloom's Cafe which is uniquely situated along the historic Walls. I ordered a latte and a scone which was served toasted with raspberry jam. It was delicious!

Inside, I learned that Bloom's is a non-profit cafe that supports and employs people with learning disabilities. Everything is made fresh in the mornings -- so the quality of the food is top-notch. And, as a bonus, you support a good cause when you eat here.

Cafe Louis: Fish, Chips, and Peas at the Richmond Centre

by BillNJ Written Nov 28, 2009

After lots of walking and sightseeing, I stopped at Cafe Louis in the Richmond Centre for a local specialty -- fish, chips, and peas. Cafe Louis advertises with the slogan "Good food, served well." I agree. In a nutshell, Cafe Louis is an informal cafe in a shopping centre that serves good food at reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: Fish, chips, and peas

• Ludders's Profile Photo

weatherspoons: weatherspoons

by Ludders Updated Apr 30, 2006

Want to eat and drink cheap then try the two weatherspoons in derry, one is next door to the travelodge the other is in the diamond, (in the middle of the walls, left of photo) Try the mix grill for £6 beers are £1.50 to 32 a pint!

Abrakebabra: For a greasy kebab

by DrexelDragon Updated Dec 13, 2004

For a quick meal you can stop into Abrekebabra for a kebab. I always got the lamb kebab with everything on it. They always stuff it full...more than what the bread can handle. They always put a ton of sauce on it. They always fell apart. They always got messy. They always kept me coming back. Something about it was tasty even though I was damn well sick of them after eating 3-4 a week for some 26 weeks. Luckily, I don't gain weight easily. One of those followed by some chips with salt and vinegar and a Coke, and I was ready to call it a nite...or to set up for a good session at the bar. The one towards the center of town was more popular than the one I went to on Culmore Rd. The other one was definitely more lively at nite especially since it stayed open after the bars were closing. Great place to soak up the alcohol for the overnite recovery.

Favorite Dish: I never deviated from the lamb kebab and chips and large coke. Worked every time.

Abrekebabra: For a greasy kebab

by DrexelDragon Written Dec 13, 2004

I ate here a lot. I got sick of it, but I could always rely on it for a filling meal. Fortunately, I don't gain weight that easy, and this place and their kebabs sure can do just that. Greasy. Stuffed to the brim. Loaded with sauce. Always fell apart, and always messy. Always good! Great for that late nite meal to start soaking up the alcohol from the bar for the overnite recovery and to set you into a slumber.

Favorite Dish: I never deviated from the lamb kebab, chips, and a large Coke.

• DrexelDragon's Profile Photo

Chili's: SO...go here for better Indian...

by DrexelDragon Written Dec 13, 2004

I never left this place hungry. Several of us from work would go here every Thursday evening, and we were duly welcomed. The place was owned and operated by a young indian gentleman, and the staff and cooks were indian as well. We were always glad to see him, because he would always keep our spot reserved for us. Very kind and VERY VERY good service. Very attentive. They also had two indian beers...King Fisher and Cobra. Not a huge place, but enough seating for sure. I enjoyed going here very much.

Favorite Dish: They had a large menu and a great assortment of nan. I ended up deciding that the creamy lamb pasanda was my favorite. It was very good. Be sure to get a sweet mango lasse here as well...fresh.

• DrexelDragon's Profile Photo

India House: Just OK Indian...

by DrexelDragon Updated Dec 13, 2004

I went here by myself which is usually the case when I go out to eat. They weren't overly busy and there was plenty of seating, but still they chose to sit me facing a remote wall behind a divider...I consequently moved myself, but it was annoying that they were so oblivious. The service here wasn't that great. They did bring me my own pitcher of water, which was plus + plus. But, when it came time to refill, I had to flag someone down. There weren't any employees of indian descent working while I was there as well, so I question how authentic it was. The food was okay. I expected more, because I was told this place was good. It think it's just fair.

Favorite Dish: I had the vindaloo. It was okay.

Can't even remember...: BAD Italian

by DrexelDragon Written Dec 13, 2004

It was the only italian restaurant I found in Derry, so they basically had a monopoly on the market in town regardless of how ppor they were. I don't remember the name. It was on the road that runs uphill behind the mall on the curved section of road. It was down an alley, and you enter through a side door. I suggest that if you come across this place that you turn around and go somewhere else. It's small inside for starters and the tables are closely packed together. I felt very uncomfortable trying to have a private discussion with the person I went there with, because there was a couple about 3ft. away. The owners and staff are authentic italian and they do their best to be charming, but all their charm doesn't amount to anything when the bill comes. The food was expensive, and it was small portiions and not very good. I was hungry when I left here.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember what I had. Think it was some kind of chicken and pasta.

• DrexelDragon's Profile Photo

The Exchange: Wher e is it? You just walked past it...

by DrexelDragon Written Dec 13, 2004

The Exchange is similar to Quay West. It's the other trendy, eclectic restaurant in L'derry/Derry. It's larger than Quay West as it has seating in the front and back and then a separate room off to the back and left. Here they take your drink AND dinner orders at the bar, so don't sit around waiting for a server to come over and take your order. I think I liked this place more than Quay West even though I went here less, but the people at Quay West were more friendly and personable. The seating at the Exchange was more to my liking than Quay West though.

Favorite Dish: I had some pasta with shrimp, and the shrimp were nice size. Garlic potatoes were good as well. I wish I had eaten here more often.

Quay West: Trendy Eclectic

by DrexelDragon Written Dec 13, 2004

Quay West, pronounced like Key West in Florida, is a trendy place. The food is good though. The seating is mostly upstairs, while downstairs there is a lounge and bar area. Be sure to call ahead and make a reservation.

Favorite Dish: I had seabass and duck on separate occassions. Both were good.

Davinci's: Great food

by DrexelDragon Written Dec 10, 2004

Davinci's restaurant is always always busy. My recommendation is to make a reservation if you want to have a table between 6:30 and 8pm. Thre restaurant has ample seating for large groups or couples. The atmosphere is warm and subdued. The service was excellent. I eventually ended up having everything they had on the menu, and it was all good. The breakfast buffet at the end of my stay was greatly improved over what it was when I got there. I came back to the bar one day for lunch, and had pasta and soup. Very tasty as well, so it's good morning, noon and nite.

Favorite Dish: The monkfish and garlic potatoes.

Let's start with...: Places to eat in L'derry/Derry

by DrexelDragon Written Nov 20, 2004

While I was there, I ate at several good places. Quaywest and the Exchange were my favorites. Both offer ecclectic menus and the food was good each time. These are the more expensive of the bunch. O'Brien's American Grill is cheesy in its attempt to be representative of the USA, but the food wasn't bad. Yet, the food wasn't American (yet, what is American food anyhow?), because they have an array of dishes. For chinese, you need to order take out from one of the several franchised Rice Bowls around the town. For Indian food, you must eat at Chili's, which is across the street from the Sainsbury's supermarket. They are very welcoming and nice there, and the curries are excellent. You'll leave there stuffed for 15-20 quid. For cafes, my favorite was Cafe Java across the street from the Anchor Bar just inside the city centre's walls. Kafe Kylemore in the Foyleside shopping centre is also convenient. You can also check out Fiorentino's and the Sandwich Co. Also, the restaurant and bar at DaVinci's Hotel Complex serves very tasty lunches and dinners. I was very disappointed with the one and only Italian restaurant in the town - it was expensive and poor quality.

Favorite Dish: Cafe Java: tea and their chicken panninis
    Exchange: shrimp with pasta
    Quaywest: get the duck or the Seabass
    DaVinci's: get the Monkfish and their garlic potatoes

For fast food, pizza, and takeout there are several options. I'm sorry, but the Irish do not know how to make pizza. The best attempt in the town is by Uncle Sam's Pizza. Head to Abrekebabra for fast food, and order the lamb kebab with everything and chips. You can also check out Leonardo's in the strip store right next to DaVinci's hotel.

• Krumel's Profile Photo

The Ice Wharf

by Krumel Updated May 1, 2003

The Ice Wharf is a bistro-like restaurant/pub where you can get some good deals. They have a section on their menu with “Two for One” deals, and they also do some platters for up to 4 people. When you have chosen your dish you will have to place your order at the bar, mentioning your table number.

Favorite Dish: Penne Alfredo with lots of cheese. Came with a (very garlicky) ciabatta bread.

Derry Hotels

46 Reviews - 169 Photos
Ballykelly Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Derry

Comments

Derry Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Derry restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Derry sightseeing.
Map of Derry