Pickering Shopping

The Baker
    The Chocolate maker

Best Rated Shopping in Pickering

• ranger49's Profile Photo

Shopping for self catering.

by ranger49 Written Jun 15, 2009

The Butcher

Shopping in Pickering as self catering holiday makers could not have been easier. There was a good choice of local independent shops - particularly butchers, bakeries , greengrocers, newsagents, bookshops , pharmacies as well as a large Co-op supermarket in the centre of town ( quite well stocked but badly in need of refurbishment) and Cost-Cutter on Eastgate - smaller but well organised and quite well stocked. The Monday market had a particularly good cheese stall with very good local Yorkshires cheeses.
    Finally there are several shops selling specialist local products like hand made chocolates and biscuits - great for gifts to take home for choco-holic, sweet toothed friend .

Wrothwells the chemist on Market Place has a very attractive old fashioned shop front - I tried several times to get a photo but was hampered by parked vehicles blocking the view.
    The other feature, common to most town in the UK these days, was the wide range of Charity Shops - always good for a bargain specially in the book departments.
    From where we were staying it was an easy short walk to any of the shops in town which overcame the hassle of finding short term on street parking and finding the right change for the paying car parks..

• planxty's Profile Photo

Pickering Farm Shop.: Cider? In Yorkshire?

by planxty Written Apr 26, 2009

Yorkshire Cider shop, Pickering, UK.

This is not really so much a shop as a small hut tacked onto the local fish farm. I am by choice a cider drinker and in England the major cider producing regions are the West Country, Herefordshire, Suffolk and Kent. Naturally enough, places that have apple orchards. I never expected to find a locally produced cider in Yorkshire but I did, and very pleasant it was too.

The lady serving me told me, when I enquired, that they also did a pear coder (becoming increasingly popular in UK) but that it normally sold out a couple of days after going on the shelf.

Readers of my other pages will know I am a great lover of locally produced food and drink and this is a wonderful example of that type of shop.

What to buy: Yorkshire cider

What to pay: I paid £14 for 6 large bottles

• Rose Cottage Clothing and Gifts: Something different

by forester123 Written May 9, 2011

I found this shop by chance after strolling around the town with my husband one day, I noticed the attractive window display which seemed to show off the clothes to best effect and was attracted to an indigo denim jumper in the window by Original Blues. On entering I was greeted by a polite lady who gave me some concise information on the product, she informed me that they were 'competively' priced which I confirmed after seeing the selection upstairs, so I tried several on and eventually bought. I was most impressed by the attention detail on these jumpers and then selection which was vast.

A happy customer, I also noticed other stock which included Amari, Tulchan and I think Musto.

Keep up the good work!

What to buy: Clothing and gifts,

What to pay: Anything from £4.99 upwards

Instant Answers: Pickering

Comments

Pickering Shopping

Reviews and photos of Pickering shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pickering sightseeing.