The River Tyne begins its journey from Tynemouth and travels through Wylam and Prudhoe. At Warden Rock (Known as 'The Meeting of the Waters' (Source: Wikipedia), near Hexham, it splits into two arms, the North Tyne and the South Tyne. The North Tyne continues north up to Keilder near the Scottish Border and the South Tyne travels south towards Alston in Cumbra.
The original bridge was built by the Ovingham Bridge Co which was opened in December 1833 and it served as a toll bridge until 1944 following repair in 1947. It's a single line traffic bridge and a separate footbridge was added alongside in 1974. Only a maximum of 10 mph and a maximum weight of 3 tons are imposed on the bridge.
Significant detail still remains of the castle, including this arrow slit in the wall, used for firing out arrows, but preventing most things from entering the castle.