Putney Heath Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Putney Heath

Outdoor artists

by Jenniflower Written Apr 9, 2007

Favorite thing: During my wanderings in London and Greater London, I have happened upon an artist a few times.

The photo shows an artist with his easel at Putney Bridge, when I was waiting for a bus. It is not a great photo as I didnt want to make it too obvious I was photographing him!

He was painting the River Thames and there were two barges on the shore too. It was an impressionistic-style painting which I thought was rather good!

Other places I have come across artists have been at The Isabella Plantation in Richmond Park, and once at St James Park, near Buckingham Palace.

Even amidst the harried life of a huge city like this, it is satisfying to know that others find piece within the hustle and bustle and take out their canvas and paintbrush and get creative!

I should take a leaf out of their book...

Putney Bridge

by Jenniflower Updated Jul 12, 2007

Favorite thing: Every day we travelled over Putney Bridge twice, to and fro work. We caught two buses into work, and one is at the bridge itself.

I no longer do this as I no longer work at Piccadilly Circus, but my husband still does this route every day.

What I love is the huge difference and ambiance of this bridge at different times of the day, and year.

In the early morning (before 7am), it is sunny and bright and fresh in summer, and cold, dark and misty in winter. In the evenings it is summery and bright with a certain buzz during summer, and is dark and atmospheric during winter (and VERY cold, being by the river).

There are often artists that paint and draw here as the view over the Thames is splendid.

What is also lovely is that there are two churches on either side of the bridge, so one hears the peal of church bells on the half hour every day... this certainly makes the trip and commute to work every day more enjoyable for me, as I love hearing bells.

• Castles and Palaces

Architecture

by Jenniflower Updated Aug 5, 2007

Favorite thing: This extraordinary building has become something of an icon for Putney.

It stands on the edge of the Thames River, between another modern development of flats and restaurants... and St Mary's church.

We have been looking at property prices recently, and noted that a 2 bed flat in this highly sought aftre building will set you back nearly £4,000 every month!

Crazy money, but this is an exciting and vibrant - and popular! - piece of architecture, with unsurpassed views across, up and down the Thames... and can demand that kind of money.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Juxtaposition between old and new!

by Jenniflower Updated Aug 5, 2007

Favorite thing: Something I love about so many old towns and villages in the UK.... the juxtaposition between the old and the new... even though they are so different, they seem to marry so well.

And just sit RIGHT :)

Putney is no exception... there are a few tudor buildings along the High Street, as well as many Edwardian houses and outlets.

There are some other older styles too... and then you get a glass-walled modern, slick building... sitting neatly between two buildings that are literally hundreds of years old!

I love it.

So much history is told in the areas architecture... everything is there for a reason, and has a meaning and function.

• Religious Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

The Thames River

by Jenniflower Updated Jul 12, 2007

Favorite thing: The city of London and the Thames River have had a harmonious relationship for many a year.

The river helps feed the city and the city helps feed the river.

We love walking along it, some places are nicer than others, most are really enjoyable.

The riverside attracts runners, walkers, strollers, skate boarders and lots of cute little animals :)

It is relaxing and invigorating to have places like this in a city where one can wind down and relax a while.

In summer it is especially nice as there are so many birds and little animals to see, especially little squirrels.

• Adventure Travel
    • Photography
    • Eco-Tourism

Putney Burial Ground

by Jenniflower Updated Jul 12, 2007

Favorite thing: I have always loved Cemetaries.

I don't know why, but for as long as I can remember I have been fascoinated by the history and charm to be found here.

A love of mine.

Wherever I go and there is an interesting cemetery, I am there.

England has so many really old cemeteries that tell a story!

This cemetary is found on Upper Richmond Road, near the junction with Putney Hill.

Instant Answers: Putney Heath

Comments

Putney Heath Favorites

Reviews and photos of Putney Heath favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Putney Heath sightseeing.