Putney Heath Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Putney Heath

Drawing Room Cafe: Delightful cafe at Fulham Palace

by Jenniflower Updated Apr 4, 2011

This was quite a find!

We certainly didnt expect to find such a delectable tea room when we went gallivanting to Fulham Palace!

To get to it, you need to go in at the front gates to the palace, and then, at the entrance to the palace (an archway that leads into an inner courtyard into the palace), you take a right turn, following the path round to the left... and then when you see green lawns ahead of you, look to your left, and there is the cafe :)

It is nondescript, stylish and upmarket.

It opens up onto the palace lawn, where families come with their children, scooters and trikes... there were loads of buggies here! - and a picnic, and they settle down for the day.

You dont have to eat at the cafe to make use of the lawn and surroundings, you can just come along, bringing your own basket od edibles, which is nice I think. (No entry charge to get into this section of the palace grounds either).

Favorite Dish: They have a variety of snacks (cold and hot), as well as light meals, sandwiches too.

They offer the usual hot beverages like tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc. too, as well as cold beverages.

We had a cold drink as it was a warm day, and I had a slice of chocolate cake.

Not great for the diet, no, but the pieces here arent tiny, but arent large either.. and we were doing LOADS of walking that day, so thought I would burn it off ;)

Hubby had the carrot cake... which was nice, but a little disappointing. The icing was a tad runny and the cake itself, although soft, didnt have that much carrot in it, was too vanilla-like.

• Castles and Palaces

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Thai Square, Putney Bridge: Tremendous Thai!

by Jenniflower Written Sep 15, 2008

The Royal Institute of Architecture, the Wandsworth Corporation and the American Institute of Architecture have each given this restaurant an award for its stylish and sleek design.

There are eight buddha figures scattered here and there, which continue with the Thai theme.

It is a feature of Putney now, lying alongside the Thames river. A beautiful piece of architecture in a beautiful part of Greater London.

During the day it is an upmarket and quiet haven for lunch, during the evening an occasional venue for special birthdays (like my sister's!) in the upstairs restaurant, with a bar that moves onto being a night club downstairs.

Favorite Dish: We have eaten here twice, once for lunch and once for dinner, and both times have been thoroughly enjoyable!

For lunch we had a platter and a salad... and loved it. No room for dessert! The restaurant was quiet (mid week), and we had a lovely table overlooking the Thames river. But then nearly all the tables overlook the river! :)

For dinner we had the Mixed Golden Seafood Starter, which we shared btwn three of us (altho should have only been two!), there was so much. Variety of nice little goodies! With the likes of mixed seafood satays, prawns dressed up, crab claw tempura and Thai fish cakes.

For our main we had the Gang Dang (Red Curry). With a choice of beef (we had this!), chicken, or prawn; red curry uses dried long red chillies and is not so hot (is 2 chillies worth, not 3 as some of the green curries are). Cooked in coconut milk with bamboo shoots, lime leaves and garnished with shredded red chillies. This was very tasty and tangy!

For dessert I had a Pyramide Chocolat Blanc, which is a white chocolate ice cream, covered with cocoa powder and decorated with white chocolate slabs in the shape of a pyramid! I felt like a tomb raider :) Absolutely delicious!!!

Hubby had the Lemon Cheesecake, which is a smooth, creamy cheese with freshly squeezed lemon juice on a digestive biscuit base, topped with lemon zest and icing sugar. I had a taste and it was also yummy!

In most Eastern restaurants we dine at they usually only offer their traditional type desserts which are not usually to our liking, so to find some desserts that we can enjoy is lovely. We do sometimes like to be daring and try new desserts, but too often we haven't enjoyed them and just want something plainer, like ice cream or cheesecake. Here they have that, but they dress it so well!!!

The only thing I would not have here again is the strawberry dacquiri.. it was delicious... but cost £7,50!!!

Service is quiet and unobtrusive. Highly recommended restaurant!

Jackie's Cottage Cafe: For a tasty treat outside

by Jenniflower Updated Feb 12, 2008

There is nothing extra special about the food here at all, I think what appeals to me re this little outdoors cafe is just that.

It's outdoors.

It's situated alongside the banks of the River Thames, amongst beautiful trees and gardens, at the entrance to Fulham Palace.

It's child friendly and people friendly.

Favorite Dish: The toasties here are rather nice, and their coffee isnt bad either.

For us, it was more the experience and opportunity to sit here and watch the passers-bys and the atmosphere and location.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

The Natural Cafe: For those health conscious ones!

by Jenniflower Updated Feb 12, 2008

A special little cafe, with nice staff here!

If you feel like a little nibble on something healthy and light whilst shopping, with a good cup of proper coffee to go with it... then this is the place for you!

I had a blueberry muffin, with a coffee latte. Filled the spot nicely!

They have a wide variety of healthy wholewheat, whole grain and rye breads for sale too.

It is nondescript, not trying to be anything it isn't (although their organic stock wasn't great I tho

• Women's Travel

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo

Il Mascalzone Pizzeria: Scrumptious Italian!

by Jenniflower Updated Feb 12, 2008

I have come here twice, once with a group of friends and another with hubby.

The service here is typically Italian... loud and friendly and 'happening'... so do not come here thinking you might have a romantic evening, because it won't happen! It's noisy and bustling.

Favorite Dish: The food is scrumptious... I think I can easily say that the pizzas here are the best I have had in London. They are the closest to Rome pizzas I have had.

Anywhere!

Chakalaka!: South African traditional fare

by Jenniflower Written Apr 9, 2007

This restaurant used to be called 'Madiba'... until Madiba's own lawyer phoned the owner and asked him to change it...

Nelson Mandela's nickname is not copyrighted but they are trying to protect it from any kind of overuse or possible abuse.

Hence the birth of 'Chakalaka'!

This restaurant is top notch... the food, decor, service... and *gulp* the prices. But for a special occasion (ours was Christmas Eve dinner), it is worth every penny!

To eat traditonal South African food whilst listening to traditional South African music, with wildlife paintings on the walls... I was in heaven! haha

Favorite Dish: I took a pic of the meals - delicious! The spare ribs photo shows you the leftovers at least ;)

We tried the delicious Amarula Crème brulee for dessert, which was absolutely delicious.

This place is expensive and we would only go here on special occasions, but for the ambiance and home-from-home feeling, those extra few £ are worth it.

This is an article re the restaurant:

Instant Answers: Putney Heath

Comments

Putney Heath Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Putney Heath restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Putney Heath sightseeing.