Putney Heath Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Putney Heath

Catching the bus

by Jenniflower Updated Aug 6, 2007

We are quite spoilt for choice really.. with tubes, trains AND buses taking us places here :)

Having commuted for years on the tubes and trains, we then settled for thebus. Yes, it takes twice as long sometimes in bad traffic, but if you leave early enough you miss all the traffic and get into town fast... and see all the lovely sights along the way!

The route we used to take from Putney into Central London goes via Fulham, Knightsbridge (and Harrods!), Kensington etc. is really pretty and thoroughly enjoyable.

As I work more form home now I dont do the comute anymore, but my husband still does it, and enjoys it (although his soft pillow - my shoudler), is not there anymore! :)

You can get weekly tickets, daily tickets... or what I do - as I dont catch the bus every day anymore, I have a pay-as-you-go oyster card... which is really handy and the least expensive way to travel.

ps: Buses are A LOT cheaper than trains and tubes! BUT traffic is very heavy during peak times, tubes and trains are a lot quicker. After 09:30am is considered 'off-peak'.

East Putney tube station

by Jenniflower Updated Aug 6, 2007

A lovely thing re living near Putney is that there is an overland train station as well as an underground tube station.

They are about a 5 minute walk from eachother.

The tube line that comes to East Putney tube station is the green line, the District line.

This line takes you straight into Central London, or into Wimbledon.

The trains do not come as frequently as they do on other lines... here they only come every 10 minutes or so.

• Trains
    • Business Travel

Overhead noise!!!

by Jenniflower Updated Aug 6, 2007

Although South West London is a beautiful part of London, there is one bad thing about it... the overhead airplane noise!

It used to be worse when we lived IN East Sheen, and is a lot better in Wimbledon, and okay in Putney.

The planes take off from Heathrow every 10 seconds or so apparently, not all come via our way, but plenty do!

Thankfully there was a super invention called 'double glazing', so you dont hear the planes at all if the windows are closed.

We like our windows open all the time though - even in winter we prefer having fresh air in the home.. so we are thankful it isnt too bad where we live. My sister (who lives in Barnes) has terrible overhead noise at times.

• Castles and Palaces

Putney train station

by Jenniflower Updated Aug 6, 2007

Putney is a good location for a commuter.

It is on the border of zone 2 and 3, which is a good zone tobe in if you have to commute into Central London every day (Waterloo station)! Far cheaper and quicker.

And if you are comuting to Windsor and Eaton Riverside station (the other way down the line), you buy a ticket from zone 3, not 2!

Trains are frequent and generally on time.

It's a lovely old station, with latticed platform roofs, lending an old-world feel to it. Right on the High STreet too, which is very convenient. A good way to travel here!

• Trains

Bicycle lanes

by Jenniflower Written Jul 4, 2007

My Putney page is under construction. If you require any info in the meanwhile, please email me. Thanks! :)

• Hiking and Walking
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Cycling

Cycling

by Jenniflower Written Jul 4, 2007

• Cycling

Instant Answers: Putney Heath

Comments

Putney Heath Transportation

Reviews and photos of Putney Heath transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Putney Heath sightseeing.