Places to eat in United Kingdom

by spidermiss

Most Viewed Restaurants in United Kingdom

MASALA ZONE: TOO FAST (INDIAN) FOOD - LONDON

by DAO Written Feb 7, 2014

Something is wrong when the waiter tells you that a full ‘Thali’ will be out in seconds and that ordering a fresh Nan bread would slow that down. A Thali can be meat or vegetarian and is a range of dishes served on a large platter for you to mix and match. Normally this is the, most expensive dish on the menu of any Indian cuisine restaurant offering this and it takes a while to cook it all and put it all together to bring to your table.

The food arrived in less than 3 minutes. I have had some wonderful meals in Indian restaurants. Not usually in London and not here. This is a fast food outlet. I left hungry and disappointed. I also found the cost of the beer excessive. I would advise finding a proper Indian restaurant rather than this food factory. You can get a lot better quality for the price.

Please note:
    You will see this chain of restaurants advertise in the Tube. If you are on a budget in terms of both time and money – you can find one of these joints at the following location across London:

Bayswater, Camden Town, Covent Garden, Earl's Court, Fulham, Islington and Soho

This location is open:
    Mon to Fri 1230 – 1500, 1730 – 2300 Sat 1230 – 2300 Sun 1230 – 2230
    Sadly they also deliver and offer deals on their website.

COQUINE: TOO CUTE IN LONDON

by DAO Written Feb 7, 2014

Coquine translates as 'mischievous', 'naughty', 'saucy' or even 'rascal'. If you like a small boisterous venue with a large cocktail menu – this is for you. Food was good. Not great, good. I don’t recommend the Sea Bass only due to the squid ink risotto. The staff are always ready to get you another drink or bring your food when you are ready. I used the 40% offer from a decent set menu choice by booking through Toptable – linked below.

It’s not a big place and the cocktail bar is right in the centre of things. My food tasted a little burnt and the vegetables were greasy. Presentation was good, portions a little on the small side. They do try and provide a great service, good meal and nice atmosphere. One of the guys even held the door open when I left.

This place gets lots of good reviews and recommendations. I had a good meal, just a bit more for small groups than a solo business diner. They do offer – very interestingly – 50% off food to groups on weekends. Hmmm….

Drinks are cheap and they definitely have a very large and interesting cocktail menu.

GAY Friendly

Open Mon-Sat 9am-6pm

Favorite Dish:
    I had the grilled Sea bass with squid ink risotto and cherry tomatoes. I have never tried squid ink risotto and it’s nasty. I wish I had tried one of the other great looking dishes. My starter was a ‘Mezze’ with olives (average) and some good humus and falafel. Book in on either the 40% or 50% offer through Toptable!

• Religious Travel

• DAO's Profile Photo

KNUTSFORD WINE BAR: GLORIOUS FOOD IN CHESHIRE !

by DAO Updated Feb 3, 2014

Want a guaranteed great meal and entertainment too? The Knutsford Wine Bar has it all. Located in the Old Chapel and Grammar School right in the heart of lively Knutsford. It has an intimate and lively feel to it and the staff are fun and really helpful. And the food? Incredible! They are always changing the menu, but I have never had anything less than a fantastic experience when I eat here. The varied menu means you could have a Thai started with and Italian main dish. Their wine selection is second to none. They even won awards in 2003 & 2004 from Cheshire Life Magazine for their superior food.

The Knutsford Wine Bar also has loads of live entertainment. As they say themselves:

‘Check out our live acts, live bands, live music, our menu and our wine list by visiting’
    www.thebestof.co.uk/knutsford/2/events.aspx
    or call us on 01565 750459

They describe it as a complete night out and it is!

Excellent for business travellers staying at Cottons Hotel.

And a bit of history:

A Chapel stood on the site built in the 14th century. It was replaced by the Parish Church built in 1744. It also served as the Grammar School until 1887.

Favorite Dish:
    I try different dishes every time I visit and they have all been fantastic. I have included a picture of their current menus.

• Wine Tasting

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

The Thames Head Inn: Great pub food at the Thames Head.

by worldkiwi Updated Aug 16, 2013

The Thames Head Inn, near Kemble in Gloucestershire, is handily located about a 2km walk from the marker stone at the source of the Thames River. I stopped here for lunch one sunny Monday afternoon in July 2013 with my cousin. We just timed our arrival right before the chef went home at 2pm and ordered from the lunch menu, as opposed to the standard pub-menu. The food was delicious and very originally presented and prepared. The bar staff were typically what any traveller looks for in a country pub - friendly and warm. I would thoroughly recommend a stop for lunch here (but arrive earlier than we did!). I think guests can stay overnight here too.

MUYA: GOOD ETHIOPIAN IN LONDON

by DAO Updated Jul 4, 2013

Muya has only been open a few months, but it’s a real winner. The hardest part of Ethiopian cuisine outside of Ethiopia is getting the Injera right. They do a great job. It’s a modern and stylish restaurant that is intimate and cosy. It’s a family run business and they are from Addis Ababa. The food is excellent. I had Doro Wot (chicken and egg with a spicy red Berbere sauce) and Ayib Begomen (cottage cheese and spinach) along with some authentic St. George’s beers. Excellent. I received a warm greeting, great service and a nice atmosphere. This is a great find. They do coffee if you want to stop by. Coffee was invented in Ethiopia, so you get the real thing. Great for a quiet business meal, new food experience or a romantic evening.

Coffee Lounge Opening Times Monday- Friday: 8am till 5pm Saturday: 11am till 5pm Restaurant & Bar Opening Time Monday - Saturday: 6pm till 11pm Sunday: 6pm till 10pm

Favorite Dish:
    Doro Wot with Injera and a cold St. George's beer!

THE GEORGE HOTEL: GASTROPUB IN SCOTLAND

by DAO Updated Jul 4, 2013

I came across this really cool gastropub, bar, beer garden when I was having a very long day. My satnav in my car had taken me the worn way and I had to drive over 400 miles in 11 day instead of 200. On top of that there were signs north of Inverary telling me the road would close in about 1 hour. I was driving south! When I walked into the George I was impressed. It’s very dark and old worldly. Lots of stone, 4 large fireplaces and original wood features. The George was originally 2 houses built in 17770. It really is stepping back in time inside. They still use the fireplaces as well.

I was greeted warmly and I explained my long day and need to get served quickly. They also knew the road would close and I would be 35 miles on the wrong side of my hotel. They were very helpful and I chose 2 great sounding dishes. The whole menu looked delicious. When my starter came, I was surprised at the size of the scallops. Absolutely beautiful to look at and eat. My main course was fillet of pork on a mushroom risotto. Absolutely succulent meat and a very tasty dish. Because I still had miles to drive I had to pass on a great looking wine list and even a nice dram of whiskey. This was equally hard because of just how ell stocked and inviting the bar looked.

Considering I was in a hurry, I enjoyed my great meal, even if I was drinking diet coke.

The George has won at least one award and does change its menu. They source their beef and lamb from the West Highlands. Seafood is fresh from the nearby port of Tarbert and their salmon is from Loch Fyne – about 100 meters away! They have over 100 single malt whiskeys and real ales to wash down your very good quality food.

Food is served from 12 noon to 9pm

Favorite Dish:

I had a fantastic meal. My starter and main meal were described like this on the menu:
    Starter - Pan fried king scallops served on a bed of cauliflower emulsion, grilled chorizo and rocket.
    Main - Roasted Ayrshire pork fillet served on a bed of wild mushroom and sage risotto with cider jus, seared spinach and grilled streaky bacon.

I wish I had not been driving. The wine and whiskey list looked great. I had a diet coke.

• Luxury Travel

ISOLABELLA: BELLA! BELLA! - LONDON

by DAO Written Jun 7, 2013

The menu looked great. The reviews looked great. And the 50% off deal on the Toptable website looked awesome. The décor was intimate, romantic and peaceful. I was greeted warmly and shown a table right next to what I can only describe as the wine bookshelf. My first drink order was taken and this arrived swiftly with my olives (free). My servers and the manager were always nearby and even turning my head usually produced someone making sure I had everything I needed and I was enjoying my dining experience. Interestingly I found all the staff were Portuguese. I did ask the question. Yes, all the chefs and kitchen staff are Italian. Isolabella was reopened in 2010 by new management. I have to say - good job. I needed to catch a train, but wanted a good meal, good portions and a nice experience.

10 out of 10 from me!

I would be very happy to recommend Isolabella for couples, business people dinning solo and a great place for a VT meeting. My food was delicious, well presented and filling. My beer was cold and my wine was perfect. I really hated to leave.

I enjoyed (every bite):

The Asparagi Alla Milanese for my starter - Poached asparagus with a fried egg and Parmesan cheese.

Medaglione Al Pepe Verde for my main - Fillet steak medallionsý with a green pepper and brandy sauce, with a side of Patate Saltate (sauteed potatoes) and Broccoli.

All accompanied perfectly with a large glass of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.

Fantastic.

MASOB: ERITREAN DELIGHT - LONDON

by DAO Written May 1, 2013

If you are looking for an amazing and interesting dinning experience, you need to come to Mosob and enjoy delicious Eritrean food. How authentic is it? It’s like Mum makes it in Eritrea. In fact this is a family run business and Mum really did cook my food when I dined here. How good is it? Awesome! I had the Minchetabish, which is described as a "Richly spiced minced beef stew". This came on some fabulous Injera bread and had a boiled egg in the middle. Every bite was delicious. I had a simple dish, but the ingredients and recipe made for an amazing meal. I added a Habesha Salad to make a great combination.

The other half of my dinning pleasure was the service, hosting and fun with one of the owners. First he organised a book about Asmara, the capital of Eritrea, to come to my table whilst I waited for my food. Then he started word games that I enjoyed through the rest of the evening. If you want to find out what some of the games are – you need to book and go to Mosob!

There are a lot of Eritrean and Ethiopian (Habesha) dishes. There are also a lot of larger combination menus for 2 people and more. The menu indicates a range from mild, spicy and hot. Vegetarians and Vegans have a great choice – which is always true of Eritrean and Ethiopian cuisine. You (normally) eat with your hands and the staff are more than happy to explain how to eat it, how it’s cooked, what ingredients are inside and any discussion you would like to have about Eritrea.

The restaurant itself has a new and highly decorative interior. You definitely get a flavour of East Africa. The toilets are nice and the seating is comfortable.

The restaurant is very easy to find and the map on the website is very easy to follow. There are also cash machines directly across the street.

By the way, if you order salad, you may want to indicate how much, if any, oil you want on it.

Of the hundreds of dinning experiences I have had in London, this one on of the best on a weeknight. As a business traveller I really appreciated the food, the service, the company and the affordability. A wonderful experience. I recommend it and I will return.

Opening Hours:
    Mon - Fri 18:00 - 23:30
    Sat & Sun 15:00 - 24:00

Favorite Dish:

Minchetabish stew, Habesha salad and cold St. George's (Ethiopian) beer.

ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR: EAST AFRICAN TREASURE - LONDON

by DAO Written May 1, 2013

This place is a little treasure. I was amazed at how much great looking food kept going to other tables. I was in a hurry and my service was swift, friendly and my food arrived quickly. My combo meal was a real treat. 2 different great tasting dishes served on some very goo injera. This Eritrean/Ethiopian cuisine restaurant is worth a meal. You can have a couple of cold beers and a lot of food for under £25. The restaurant had a great buzz, the waitress glided along and there must have been several cooks going non-stop. This was a great experience and I will enjoy eating here again.

If you have never had injera and Eritrean food – this is a good place to start.

They are open:
    Sunday - Thursday
    12:00 - 23:00
    Fridays & Saturdays
    12:00 - Late

Favorite Dish:
    They offer some fantastic combination deals with Injera. You can have 2 or even 3 dishes for less than £15 and it will fill you up. I had 'Doro Wat'. It is spelled a bit differently on the menu, but it is very traditional. It contains boned chicken with a boiled egg in a spicy red sauce. It is slightly hot. My other main was the vegetarian Ajbo Hamli. This is made from chopped spinach and cheese with spices. I washed all this down with an authentic St. George's beer. Delicious. They also serve traditional honey wine called Tej (listed as Meyes on the menu).

LENA: TAKE A LITTLE SPLURGE IN LONDON

by DAO Written May 1, 2013

Lena tries to be a little pretentious, but delivers the goods. I booked a 50% off deal on the Toptable website and had a very good meal. I was greeted warmly at the door and my suitcase was stored away (I was catching a train later). The interior looks modern and smart and the waiters were all smiles. My cover (mandatory £1) was some nice bread and oil, once I scraped all the salt off. My starter was the Lena Salad which was quite delicious. They managed to mix parmesan cheese with ripe pears and walnuts to make a great tasting mix. My main was rare veal and it was awesome. My Leffe beer was very small for the price, but the house red was tasty.

I enjoyed my meal and dinning experience. With the 50% off deal you can afford a great romantic meal in a vibrant restaurant with great service. I was made to feel very welcome and nothing was a problem. Even their bathrooms were nice. These guys run a good show. If you don’t have the deal, you will find Lena a little expensive. That said, at least they try and make it worth it for you.

Opening Times
    Dinner: 18:00 - 23:00
    Sunday
    Dinner: 17.00-22.30

Favorite Dish:

Lena Salad, Veal and a glass of house red wine.

BYBLOS - BELFAST: LOVELY, LIGHT & LEBANESE

by DAO Written Apr 30, 2013

The owner is inviting, the friendly chef cooks in front of you and the food is tasty as well as healthy! What a great restaurant. The interesting thing is that they do not have an alcohol license, but are virtually across a narrow lane from a very cheap and well stocked off-license (alcohol shop). I purchased a fabulous bottle of wine and the restaurant does not charge a corkage fee. My food was wonderful and the price was pretty good too. I would recommend this restaurant highly. The décor and bathrooms are as bright and inviting as the owner. She is a nice lady from Scotland who started Byblos a few years ago when there were very few restaurants in Belfast. It's still here and getting good reviews. With a freshly grilled meat and your own wine - you just can't beat it.

A must eat!

Favorite Dish:

Haloumi cheese and a mixed kebab with my own selected wine!

• Wine Tasting
    • Women's Travel

NOTHING TO MOURN ABOUT: MOURNE SEAFOOD BAR - BELFAST

by DAO Written Apr 30, 2013

If you like seafood, you will have nothing to cry about here. The Mourne Seafood Bar is a classy restaurant located next to the historical Kelly Cellars serving up freshly caught fish and other seafood from the Irish Sea. The interior is an interesting mix of an open kitchen and a romantically dark upscale restaurant. Between their daily chalkboard specials and large menu – there is something mouth-watering for everyone. The staff are professional, the wine list well stocked and your meal freshly prepared with quality ingredients. All that’s need now is you.

Their fish are brought to them from 2 local ports daily. Their mussels, oysters and cockles are also sourced from local shellfish beds as well. If it was any fresher you would have to get wet.

If the food doesn’t complete your experience you can go out on their fast inflatable boat (rib) as they offer tours of the coast. Details of this exciting day out can be found on their website. If you entertainment needs are a bit more immediate, step outside to hear live authentic Irish music outside Kelly Cellars next door. All and all a great night out.

In addition to seafood they also offer vegetarian options, large Irish beef steaks and children’s’ portions.

I would recommend a reservation by either telephone or email on their website!

Favorite Dish:

Start with Salt and chilli squid with napa slaw and chilli jam followed by a large pot of Mourne Mussels steamed with white wine, garlic and cream (also available with korma sauce). Washed down with a good bottle of red wine.

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Fast food: Fast food

by littlebush Updated Oct 28, 2012

This section isnt so much about one restaurant but more about places in the UK that i think serve the best of typical british food - bacon sarnies, fry ups, chips, chinese (ok not british but popular) etc....

-Florence cafe in Hendon, London - does the best bacon and egg bap you can imagine. the rolls are so far soft, the bacon tasty and the egg cooked to perfection
    -S Cafe - St Albans cafe - a mouth watering bacon roll - thick tasty bacon in a soft crusty roll with a friendly service.
    -Fishermans Wharf, Alvert street, Fish and chip shop, Stevenage old town - fantastic chips
    -Peking chinese takeaway in Luton - great chips and a great special show mein
    -Pre - St Albans - this pub/restaurant does a carvery, something like £4 in the week, £7 at weekends but is just5 fantastic -n the roast potatoes are out of this world
    -Canteen (cafe) in Wood Green, London-fabulous place with an extensive menu and good service and well priced, always busy in the week, less so at weekends.
    -Jaipur indian, Hatfield, Herts-great curry house with sublime food.

THE GEORGE HOTEL - SCOTLAND: GASTROPUB AND GREAT BAR

by DAO Written Oct 9, 2012

Food is from 12 noon to 9pm

• Beer Tasting

CHA PLU: LOVELY THAI FOOD - LONDON

by DAO Written Oct 5, 2012

I love these people. This is a new restaurant offering wonderful food with service that is graceful and charming. I had scallops and Satay Gai (2 starters). Delicious, spicy, fresh and delivered with a smile. My Pla Kra-Pong Tod Panang was a tender sea bass with fantastic spices and sauce. If you ask for a spicy dish you get spicy! The staff make you feel like the only customer. After a long work day – they made my day. Friendly, welcoming and the restaurant has a nice feel to it. They also have great toilets – an expectation you should have at any good restaurant.
    With the current deals you should eat here before they become too popular. They offer deals on their own and other dining websites. They also have a loyalty card (free) and a contest for free airline tickets to Thailand. They really do understand how to attract and keep customers. An art mostly lost on restaurants across London.
    I highly recommended Cha Plu for business people. They know how to make a great meal, a great deal, and make you smile.

Favorite Dish:
    (Descriptions from their menu)
    Satay Gai
    Charcoal grilled chicken stick served with peanut sauce
    Plah Scallops
    Grilled king scallops topped with Thai chilli paste salad
    Pla Kra-Pong Tod Panang - spicy

1276 Reviews - 2205 Photos
Manchester Hotels
1763 Reviews - 4086 Photos

Instant Answers: United Kingdom

Comments

United Kingdom Restaurants

leics's Profile Photo

You'll find hundeds of thousands of eating places, with cuisines from around the world....from Thai to Gurkha, from Italian to ...well, English! UK eating, like the UK itself, is hugely...

Map of United Kingdom