Places to eat in United Kingdom

The Bath Bun Tea Shoppe
    by spidermiss

Most Viewed Restaurants in United Kingdom

• DAO's Profile Photo

KOKEB - LONDON: LIKE MUM MAKES (IN ETHIOPIA)

by DAO Written May 3, 2015

This is Ethiopian food like they make at home. I know – I used to live in Ethiopia. They also have the best Injera in London. The food was fantastic. It was as authentic in terms of taste as any meal I ever in Ethiopia. The owner is a nice lady from just south of Addis Ababa named Getenesh Demissie Gebremichal, or “Geti". She really makes you feel welcome. You can enjoy authentic Ethiopian recipes and Ethiopian beer. A nice relaxing meal in a peaceful setting.

If you have never eaten Ethiopian food (Injera), they have written instructions on how to do so with photos inside their menus! She also has ‘Tej’ whick is fermented honey wine that takes 1-3 years to produce. If that doesn’t appeal to you, then order an authentic Ethiopian Beer “kazz kazza”. That means ‘cold’.

Highly recommended by me. She also gets great reviews across many websites.

Opening Hours:
    Mon-Sat 12pm-10pm
    Sun 4pm-10pm

Favorite Dish:
    They have a 'combination' meal deal. A meat dish with a vegetarian one. I had Doro Wat and let my hosts choose the vegetarian dish for me. Doro Wat is a chicken dish with spicy red sauce and a boiled egg.

Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant - London Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant - London Tej !!! The instructions ! kok

BISHOP'S - BELFAST: CHIPS IN PEPPERCORN SAUCE

by DAO Written Apr 16, 2015

Bishops is a Belfast institution. Although it was only founded in 1991. it has an old world feel to it. They do make very good chips. Big proper chips. I found this place after a little bit of pub hopping in the nearby area. I was very surprised and pleased to see that they had lots of sauces to put on the chips. I tried the peppercorn sauce and it was perfect! Absolutely stunningly filling and tasty.

The interior is very classy. In fact they invite you to "Enjoy our Marble Open Fires, Antique Furniture and Ornaments, Terrzzo Marble Floor." This is a great place to bring family and friends. They are fully wheelchair accessible, have baby changing facilities and high chairs.

The menu is very 'traditional' in that you can get fish & chips, burgers and lasagne. The real variety is Breakfast. Try this on for size:
    The Jumbo Fry
    2 sausages, bacon, 2 eggs, 2 soda bread, 2 potato bread, 2 hash browns, mushrooms and tomato.

The best thing? They are open very late for people coming out of nearby pubs and clubs!

Opening Hours:
    Mon - Wed 10am - 2am
    Thur - Sat 10am - 3am
    Sun 10am - 1am

364 Days a Year

Waitress Services Available
    Mon - Sun 10am - 11pm

Favorite Dish:
    A large portion of chips with peppercorn sauce and a cold beer (from the off licence nearby)

OH YES !

THE LONSDALE: MAGNIFICENT IN LONDON

by DAO Written Apr 15, 2015

Stupendous! Awesome! Bravo! The Lonsdale is a rare treat you can afford with one of their deals on the Openable website. I was shown to a great table, warmly welcomed, and served with many a smile. They manage to put together a world-class menu, deliver the goods and make it a trendy cocktail bar as well. The atmosphere is perfect for a romantic meal, a friendly conversation or a business meal for 1. It has a buzz without the need to drown out your conversation.

The food itself it a real indulgence in fine d inning. My starter was the ‘Pressed three bird confit, liver parfait and spiced pear chutney. Stunningly delicious. A unique choice that rewards those looking for something new. My main had to be one of the great sounding steaks. As they say on their menu:

"All of our beef, lamb & pork...supplied by Lake District Farmers....produce the best...Cumbrian breeds such as Herdwick lamb, Galloway, Blue Greys & Short Horn beef. The joints are cut by master butchers and hung for a minimum of 35 days."

The steak that arrived on my plate looked as good as advertised. It tasted even better, if that is possible. Accompanied by green beans and the best Caesar Salad I have ever had. In fact my steak was the best I have ever eaten in the UK. Even the house red wine was delicious. The chefs here at the Lonsdale know how to serve up absolute taste delights. I even watched them working in the kitchen and they take real care with their dishes.

Opening hours:
    Tuesday - Thursday: 6pm - Midnight
    Friday - Saturday: 6pm - 1am
    Sundays and Mondays - closed

Favorite Dish:
    STEAK !!!! ANY STEAK ! And the house red wine is great !

The Lonsdale - London The Lonsdale - London Watch your food being prepared The Lonsdale - London Even the bathrooms are cool!
    • Wine Tasting

• DAO's Profile Photo

KAZAN: TURKISH DELIGHT (LONDON) - HALF PRICE !

by DAO Updated Apr 12, 2015

PLEASE NOTE - THIS RESTAURANT IS NOW CALLED FORA.
    Levent and Bulent Hassan are Turkish-Cypriot brothers who opened Kazan Victoria in 2002 and the restaurant I ate at their location in Houndsditch. I think these guys should get an award for their contributions to gorgeous tasting food. My meal was so good I really wanted to lick my plate clean. And the best part? I booked on-line and received 50% off my food bill!

Kazan offers some recipes that are at least 500 years old, use spices imported from the Anatolian region of Turkey and cook it to absolute perfection. I had the Ottoman (mixed) Grill and each piece of meat was marinated in a different set of spices and my plate absolutely exploded with flavour. In a city full of good restaurants, Kazan is one of the best of the best. It’s also very loud inside. That’s because it is packed. If you book your table on-line (recommended) via their website or London Eating, you can get your food at half-price! This is an enjoyable restaurant. It has comfortable sofas with pillows, fantastic sinks in their bathrooms (pictured) and has some excellent decorations in their bar area. Altogether a really great dinning experience.

The only downside is that they do not make good Mojitos, but their drinks menu has a lot to offer and their wine list is pretty solid.

At these prices you cannot afford to miss Kazan.

Favorite Dish:
    Here are the descriptions of my fantastic food taken right from their Menu:
    OTTOMAN GRILL
    Marinated til tender; a selection of chicken and lamb shish and kofte plus a lamb chop, poussin and garlic sausage. Served with rice or chunky fries and salad
    TAVUK KOFTE
    Chargrilled minced chicken with hot spices and cheese

Fresh marinated olives and warm bread were also brought to the table during my awesome meal. I chased all this down with a nice glass of Yakut Rouge, a delightful Turkish wine.

Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London

• DAO's Profile Photo

BEACH BLANKET BABYLON: $3000 AND NO SOAP IN LONDON!

by DAO Written Apr 11, 2015

More pretentious than delicious. If you have a bottle of wine for £2300 – you should have soap in your toilets! My starter was a good looking salad, just not a great tasting one. Using green tomatoes is a mistake. My chicken was nice, nothing more. My cheese & biscuits were the star of the show. My beer, like all drinks was expensive. This is a place to be seen at. They need to paint, clean, polish. This is expensive unless you use on of the deals on the OpenTable Website.

If you feel the need to eat here - get a deal here:

OpenTable website

BEACH BLANKET BABYLON - LONDON GREEN TOMATOS? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
    • Gay and Lesbian

Café at the Palace in Edinburgh: Tea break at Palace of Holyroodhouse

by hopang Updated Dec 7, 2014

We came to Café at the Palace only for tea break even though the Café also serves delicious breakfast and lunch. The Café is located at the exit of Palace of Holyroodhouse behind the Palace's souvenir shop.

Present either your hop-on-hop-off bus tour tickets or your Royal Edinburgh tickets to the personnel at the Café and you will receive a small piece of complementary delicious Crown short bread from them. We received six pieces of Crown short bread (as depicted on our first two photographs) as we have six Royal Edinburgh tickets with us. The Crown short bread is certainly ideal for your tea break especially when you are a little bit hungry and thirsty at the end of your long tour at Palace of Holyroodhouse. We ordered some tea and coffee which did not cost much. Not many visitors to the Palace of Holyroodhouse know about this and don't miss the opportunity to taste some really delicious Crown short bread when you visit the Palace of Holyroodhouse and the Café at the Palace on your vacation in the city of Edinburgh.

Complementary Crown short bread Tasty Crown short bread Caf�� at the Palace in Edinburgh Caf�� at the Palace in Edinburgh Caf�� at the Palace in Edinburgh
    • Castles and Palaces

The Square in Edinburgh: Delicious full traditional Scottish breakfast

by hopang Updated Nov 16, 2014

We were staying at The Place but took our breakfast at The Square just several blocks from our hotel on the opposite side of the road. The restaurant serves breakfast and lunch only. We came to the restaurant two days in a row. On our first visit we opted for full traditional Scottish breakfast which was really delicious. We really enjoyed our breakfast there. Traditional Scottish breakfast is quite similar to full traditional English breakfast or even full traditional Irish breakfast except for several ingredients especially fried haggis. Other ingredients in traditional Scottish breakfast include fried bacons, fried eggs, Lorne sausages (sliced sausages), black pudding, grilled tomatoes, toast, baked beans and fried mushrooms.

On our second morning we opted for hams and eggs which were also very delicious. The restaurant is quite small and has seating capacity for approximately 20 diners at a time. They have outdoor seating as well but only during the summer months. However services are fast and efficient and you do not have to wait very long for your food to arrive. Prices of food in the restaurant are reasonably priced. They serve really good coffee and tea for breakfast. If you sit near the windows, you may enjoy the Edinburgh airport trams passing by outside every now and then. We will not hesitate to visit the restaurant again if and when we visit the city of Edinburgh again.

Favorite Dish: Our favourite dish at The Square were full traditional Scottish breakfast and hams and eggs for breakfast.

The Square in Edinburgh Full traditional Scottish breakfast Breakfast at The Square with a tram passing by Ham and egg on the second day Ham and egg at The Square
    • Photography

• hopang's Profile Photo

Saigon Saigon Chinese Restaurant in Edinburgh: Authentic Chinese food and dim sum

by hopang Updated Nov 15, 2014

Saigon Saigon Chinese Restaurant is one of the best Chinese restaurants in the city of Edinburgh. If you are looking for Chinese food in the city of Edinburgh you may try this authentic Chinese restaurant. The food is quite tasty and delicious in our opinion although we did not try their dim sum which many consider one of the best in the United Kingdom.

The restaurant has rather expansive and rich decorations typical of a decent Chinese restaurant. It is certainly a fancy and elegant Chinese restaurant. The restaurant is big and spacious and has two floors with lots of seating, probably has a seating capacity for more than 100 diners at a time. We ordered several plates of some authentic Chinese food.

Saigon Saigon Chinese Restaurant in Edinburgh Saigon Saigon Chinese Restaurant in Edinburgh Some authentic Chinese food Authentic Chinese food with rice Saigon Saigon Chinese Restaurant in Edinburgh
    • Photography

Castle Cafe Bar in Edinburgh: Delicious fish and chips

by hopang Updated Nov 15, 2014

Castle Cafe Bar has one of the best haggis and fish and chips in the city of Edinburgh, but we opted for fish and chips for lunch. We were certainly not disappointed. Castle Cafe Bar is a snack bar as well as a cafe. Breakfast is also available here together with other snacks such as Scotch pie, macaroni cheese etc.

The dining room is quite small, probably has a seating capacity for between 20 and 30 diners at one time not counting the outdoor seating. It seems to us this is a family business and is one of the most patronised cafes in and around Edinburgh Castle. Services are fast and effiicient and we did not have to wait too long for our food. It is not a fancy cafe with just simple furnitures and decorations but the prices here are cheap and affordable. It certainly is very crowded during lunch hours. Try the fish and chips in the Cafe if you happen to visit Edinburgh Castle!

Delicious fish and chips at Castle Cafe Bar Castle Cafe Bar in Edinburgh

SABOR: LATIN DISCOVERY - LONDON

by DAO Written Aug 30, 2014

Sabor advertises that they serve Latin American cuisine. Their menu is a very interesting mix of dishes you may not have expected. They have the Argentine steak you expect. They also have Colombian, Bolivian and Caribbean - and that was just my starter! They also have some amazing seafood dishes that offer a real discovery of Latin American cooking. This was all washed down delicious beers from Mexico and Brazil and fabulous red wines from Chile. I took my Mum here for a nice meal out and she gives it a thumbs up as well. Great service, fantastic quality of ingredients and a very nice décor. By the way ‘Sabor’ means taste in Spanish – and the taste is delicious.

Favorite Dish:

I have taken the descriptions of my meal from their menu:

Starter: Degustacion of Empanadas
    Selection of 3 empanadas from Colombia, the Caribbean and Bolivia with meat, seafood and cheese fillings accompanied by aji. £6.00.
    Main meal: Moqueca
    A classic dish from coastal Brazil. A delicious stew of red snapper, swordfish, prawns, mussels. tomatoes, and coconut milk. Seasoned with chilli and coriander served over rice.
    Drinks: Cold Mexican and Brazilian beers and a glass of Chilean Red.

SABOR - LONDON

NOODLE, OODLE: TASTELESS, EXPENSIVE, S**T IN LONDON

by DAO Written Aug 30, 2014

Even excrement has a taste. These folks can not even manage that. I ordered a Won Ton soup. Brown water - NO TASTE with noodles with NO TASTE. How do you mange that? Saving money on spices?

Seriously - avoid all their locations like the plague. Even disease leaves a taste in your mouth!

NOT A DAMN THING !

NOODLE OODLE - LONDON
    • Zoo

ADIVA: BYOB HEAVEN - LONDON

by DAO Written Aug 25, 2014

Adiva is not a Diva at all. In fact this is a cracking restaurant. I booked a reservation with them on OpenTable and had a great meal. I was warmly greeted, had perfect service and a tasty meal – all at a very good price.

The real secret is to bring your own booze. Adiva is not ‘licensed’, but you can bring in your own alcohol. The corkage fee is a nominal £1.50 for a bottle of wine/spirits or 50p per beer. This includes them providing glasses, refrigeration and ice as needed! If you enjoy wine with your meal you can do so and save a load of money by picking up a bottle of wine from the grocery store before you go. Combined with their economical set menus you can enjoy plenty to drink and eat for under £25 in central London. A good deal indeed.

Adiva calls itself a rare Lebanese and Turkish Restaurant and their varied menu has some good dishes to choose from. Their food is mildly spiced, which many people prefer, but you may want to ask for extra seasoning and/or hot sauce. Having set that the real deal is their 5 set menus. 3 meat oriented mezzes and 2 vegetarian. I enjoyed the top priced set menu 3 and for just £16.95 I received all of the following:

Starters:
    Hommous - pureed chick peas with tahini, lemon, garlic and olive oil
    Cacik - Yogurt mixed with cucumber, lime juice, mint, garlic and olive oil
    Tabouleh - Lebanese salad and crushed wheat
    Sambousek Lahme - Golden pastry parcels filled with minced lamb & pine nuts
    Sambousek Taouk - Golden pastry parcels filled chicken and leek
    Falafel - with a mixture of chickpeas, herbs and cumin

Main Meal

Mixed Grill – a large selection of grilled meats
    • Served with salad and rice
    • Olives (delicious!) and warm bread are complementary

The set meals have selections within the meals. You just can’t go wrong with this restaurant. All meat is Halal and they also offer free delivery within a 3 mile radius. Like I said, you can’t go wrong with this restaurant. Check out their link below for more on their impressive menu.

Open every day 12pm-11pm

ADIVA - LONDON

BARBICAN TANDOORI: SQUARE DEAL - SQUARE MEAL - LONDON

by DAO Written Aug 24, 2014

You can get a great deal that’s an absolute steal here. I booked a deal for a 5 course meal for £15 on the OpenTable website. Then they poured me a big shot of Jack Daniels before I left. You will not get a better deal in London. In fact you may wonder why or how they do it. The simple answer is that this great little restaurant is located in a business area. Inside the City of London actually. During weekdays this place probably does a massive lunch trade. They are surrounded by business offices and loads of well to do working people during the day. In fact I sometimes work out of a solicitor’s office across the street where I can get all the champagne and steak I want whilst I am there. You get the idea. At night there are not many residents so they have this great meal deal. I say “get in there!”. It is within eyesight and an easy walk from the Barbican Tube Station and only 2 stops from Kings Cross/St. Pancreas rail stations.

So my experience? Excellent.

I arrived and my luggage (I was leaving by train) was taken and I was escorted downstairs to a very pleasant dining room. My waiter was always within 10 feet of me and I was made to feel welcome. I explained I was in a hurry and my meal was brought swiftly. First a starter with a nice hot meat samosa, chicken tikka and an onion baghi. Next came my massive Barbican Chicken Special. Served in a really cool dish with several smaller dishes set inside it – this looked great. It tasted great as well. Washed down with a pint of Kingfisher beer – I had more than enough to eat. Chicken curry, rice, garlic naan bread, a vegetable (spinach/potato) side dish, onion baghi and salad. I could not even eat it all.

My waiter was polite, helpful and quick. I even had a chance to meet the chef who made my nice meal in his immaculately clean kitchen.

These guys are trying to please and they will treat you well.

I had a great meal, paid a very low price and really appreciated the experience. Then I caught my train.

Oh. Did I mention the free Jack Daniels? Yes – a complementary drink! Top drawer.

I will be back!

Opening hours: Mon - Sat: 12:00-2:30 & 6:00-11:00, Sun: 6:00-11:00

Free Home Delivery for orders over £10 - see their delivery map on their website

BARBICAN TANDOORI - LONDON BARBICAN TANDOORI - LONDON BARBICAN TANDOORI - LONDON BARBICAN TANDOORI - LONDON BARBICAN TANDOORI - LONDON
    • Trains

LA TAVAS: THE BEST GREEK EVER - HALIFAX

by DAO Updated Aug 24, 2014

La Tavas calls itself a Mediterranean restaurant. I call it the best Greek food I have ever had outside of Greece - and better than most in Greece! The food here is simply stunning. They also offer an amazing range of menu options. From the sumptuous À la carte menu, to Tapas, a fixed price menu (2 or 3 course) and Deli. And if that wasn't all delicious enough, there is also a Specials Board to tempt your tastebuds. They also do Takeaway if you want to enjoy your food at home. Reservations are recommended - especially on weekends. Its a small restaurant so don't miss out. The service was excellent and they are proud to be a family-run business.

You can also register on their website for exclusive offers.

They are open:
    Tuesday - Thursday 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 9.30pm
    Friday 12pm - 2pm, 6pm - 10pm
    Saturday 6pm - 10pm

Favorite Dish:

I enjoyed a shefalia starter. Large Cypriot sausages without casings. Then I had the Greek Board - a stunning value at £12.50pp. It includes:
    Tzatziki, houmous, olives, chicken kebab, shefalia, moussaka, chargrilled haloumi cheese, dolmades, a greek salad and mixed breads. Wow! The small moussaka alone was fantastic. It contained minced lamb, flavoured with red wine, cinnamon & mint, topped with aubergines, béchamel sauce and cheese. That's the description on the menu and I have never seen such a small dish pack so much taste. Everything they do is pure quality. Lovely!

Please note - if you want the massive Full Greek Board - you have to order 1 day in advance.

LA TAVAS - HALIFAX LA TAVAS - HALIFAX LA TAVAS - HALIFAX LA TAVAS - HALIFAX LA TAVAS - HALIFAX
    • Beer Tasting

HARDY’S BRASSERIE AND WINE BAR: SKIP THE CHEESE IN LONDON

by DAO Written Aug 23, 2014

I booked a table at Hardy’s because I found a good meal deal on the OpenTable Website. Great service, great atmosphere, just skip the cheese and possibly the wine. I enjoyed my smoked duck salad starter. Gorgeous. My steak was tasty for sure. My waitress was awesome and kept trying to bring me more delicious soda type bread. Unfortunately my carafe of wine was bland. And the cheese & biscuits were poor and over-priced. I would recommend you get another desert or skip this completely. It looked good and they even feature it on their website, but it is just (sadly) poor. A good dining experience with an intimate and electric atmosphere. They also have newspapers to read. So a good meal for a business person or a couple.

Hardy’s was opened in 1984 by Nick de Bastarrechea and you can find updates, current Chef’s profile and menus on their website. They offer several small private dining rooms that you can hire. They also have a small venue called the Underbar, which the call ‘Marylebone's secret cellar bar’. They offer the following for 25 seated diners or 60 people standing:
    •Drinks and canapés

Monday-Saturday
    7.30am-3:00pm and 5.30pm-10:30pm
    Sunday
    9:00am-3:00pm

HARDY���S BRASSERIE AND WINE BAR - LONDON HARDY���S BRASSERIE AND WINE BAR - LONDON HARDY���S BRASSERIE AND WINE BAR - LONDON HARDY���S BRASSERIE AND WINE BAR - LONDON HARDY���S BRASSERIE AND WINE BAR - LONDON

United Kingdom Hotels

354 Reviews - 740 Photos
Liverpool Hotels
1327 Reviews - 2490 Photos

Instant Answers: United Kingdom

Comments

United Kingdom Restaurants

leics's Profile Photo

You'll find hundeds of thousands of eating places, with cuisines from around the world....from Thai to Gurkha, from Italian to ...well, English! UK eating, like the UK itself, is hugely...

Map of United Kingdom