Places to eat in United Kingdom

by spidermiss

Most Viewed Restaurants in United Kingdom

PAPAYA: AWARD WINNING - CREWE

by DAO Written Jul 17, 2015

I was looking for something special while I was staying in Crewe for business. The second I walked into Papaya, I knew I had found the best restaurant in the city. I was welcome warmly and a very nice menu was handed to me. My cold Cobra beer appeared before I could finish looking at the very interesting offers on the menu. There were steaks – but even their steaks could be prepared different ways (I was intrigued). The starters all sounded great. They offered wraps and salads and a more traditional Indian cuisine menu. They even offer a nostalgic ‘1970’s’ menu of old favourites. Their specialty is their unique offer of being a steakhouse and Indian Grill room. How good is it? Please look at the first photo. That good!

I ordered a ribeye steak, but you can’t just order a steak here. You have to choose the style of your steak. Either Papaya style or traditional. Papaya style is where they flatten the steak slightly. You also then choose your sauce. I of course order Papaya sauce on a Papaya style steak. Great choice!

I was hungry and ordered both the Humus Starter and the Shashlik. My humus arrived first accompanied by strips of freshly baked naan bread. Food of the Gods. The shashlik was spiced to perfection. Then my platter of lovely food arrived. Well presented, smelled wonderful and tasted mouth-watering. My steak was smothered in onions (love that). The Papaya sauce was delicious and served separately so I could experiment with the onion and the sauce. Everything was cooked to perfection. And they serve beer cold – and with lots of smiles as well.

This is a VT AWARD WINNING RESTAURANT. I know, I awarded them myself!

Well done Papaya people for your creativity, hospitality, quality of your steaks and the superb cooking of your food. World Class!

Favorite Dish:

Humus starter with fresh naan bread, Cobra beer and a Ribeye Steak (Papaya style with Papaya sauce).

Papaya Steakhouse �� Bar & Grill - Crewe Papaya Steakhouse �� Bar & Grill - Crewe Papaya Steakhouse �� Bar & Grill - Crewe Papaya Steakhouse �� Bar & Grill - Crewe Papaya Steakhouse �� Bar & Grill - Crewe

MP’S BISTRO: NOT GOOD ENOUGH IN EDINBURGH

by DAO Written Jul 16, 2015

I booked a table at MP’s because it was close to my hotel, looked nice from the outside, and had a good deal on the OpenTable website. In fact they offered a 2 course meal for £16 PLUS a glass of wine using OpenTable. If you book direct you can get the £16 offer or even 3 courses for £18 every night (available 6pm to 7.30pm), but not the glass of wine. Please note: that supplements do apply for certain dishes. Anyway, I arrived and things started going wrong right away. First I ordered. I chose the Haggis Scotch Egg made with real haggis and a quail’s egg. For my main meal I chose the steak. They only have 7 meat dishes (and 1 vegetarian), so this looked like a good choice. Then below standard things started. I ordered a draft Guinness beer and a glass and a can arrived. To be fair, the can did contain the ‘draft’ version of Guinness. For the prices, décor, surrounds in an up-scale hotel, and the clientele, this should have been poured at the bar. At the time I ordered my beer, I was asked by the waiter if I wanted any water. I said ‘yes please’ tap water, thanks’. This was swiftly forgotten.

Then the bread arrived. It was poor and stale. I only ate it because I was hungry and waited for my starter. After a while I was informed that actually, they had run out of steak! So at 07:30pm, or 1 ½ hours after opening, 14% of their menu is not available. I had been thinking about that steak for hours when I walked by early on in the day and read their menu on display. I could hear other diners saying what I was thinking. And the language was not nice.

My starter arrived and I saw the waiter again. Can I have a glass of water? This was apparently a new request to him. I did eat my small, but very excellent starter. I had debated about leaving and just paying for my beer when I had been informed that I would not get my steak. I ordered the salmon Wellington. I decided not to order and extra (charges) side dishes as I just wanted to eat, pay and go get a kebab somewhere. Anyway I was served my salmon which was not big. I had to do so without a knife I had to rob from another table. I do have to say the waitress had remembered when I asked for red wine with my meal. It was a healthy amount of good red wine.

Anyway – to just finish off my disappointment, I got the bill and it incorrectly spelled out the deal I had booked on-line. I was overcharged £2.90. I didn’t have printed confirmation so I thought maybe I had this wrong. Nope, I was right.

So I didn’t get what I asked for, I was overcharged and received below standard service.

In a city like Edinburgh, you can do better. And MP’s needs to do better.

MP's Bistro - Edinburgh MP's Bistro - Edinburgh MP's Bistro - Edinburgh MP's Bistro - Edinburgh MP's Bistro - Edinburgh

KOTO II: ALL YOU CAN EAT SUSHI - LONDON

by DAO Written Jun 26, 2015

I found this cool restaurant by a very bizarre accident. I was able to get a room in my favourite London hotel, Grange City, and I went looking for a restaurant. Normally I just take the postcode (zip code) of my accommodation and search for a good restaurant on my favourite restaurant website, %L[http://www.toptable.com/?refid=ppc_ggl&gclid=COjjwaDM8KoCFQUOfAod6RUUlg ]Toptable.

That’s when I saw there was a restaurant very nearby that had all you can eat sushi for less than I am allowed for a business meal. When I arrived at my hotel, I found the restaurant was inside the hotel! Get in there!

I was greeted warmly and shown to a seat near a conveyor of endless sushi. I was given 2 hot starters with my meal package. Delicious.

The sushi is a bit unusual. It’s big. A bit too big for the chopsticks. It was tasty and I enjoyed it. You do get soy sauce, wasabi past, and pickled ginger.

On the conveyor belt is some cooked, but mostly raw fish. This is always fresh and the chefs are there to speak to.

It’s not the best sushi I have ever had but it was good and the fruit is absolutely perfectly ripe.

As a business meal, you get a nice quiet place to eat and think. The staff are close by and give you as much or little service as you wish. I have eaten here twice and once used my laptop at the table for work. If you are solo on a business trip this is an excellent choice.

Opening HoursMon-Fri 11:00-22:30
    Sat-Sun Closed

Favorite Dish:
    Sushi, more sushi and beer!

KOTO II - LONDON KOTO II - LONDON KOTO II - LONDON KOTO II - LONDON KOTO II - LONDON

CAFFÉ CONCERTO: WONDERFUL ENTERTAINMENT - LONDON

by DAO Written Jun 21, 2015

When I first booked Caffé Concerto, I have to admit I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I had found a 50% off meal deal on the Openable website, but hadn’t really looked at the details. When I arrived I realised it was inside the massive Westfield Shopping Centre. I was worried it was in a food court. It wasn’t. It’s a late night opening fully furnished restaurant. I was greeted warmly and seated at the table they had reserved for me (photo below). Then I was asked if I wanted something to drink and my beer was ordered. If this wasn’t good enough, the live singer started singing some very nice tunes. OK, so let’s recap. I am getting 50% off, the music is free and high quality, the service is friendly and I have a reserved table. Can it get any better? Yes it could. My beer was cold. The music was arm and pleasing. Then, after a few songs, the singer and style changed. He was very good too. Then a 3rd group started singing and playing. Apparently they have open mike night on Wednesday nights.

Before I forget – yes the food was delicious. I tried the salmon starter and it was gorgeous. I had the Caffé Concerto burger, which doesn’t sound inspiring, but it sure tasted that way. For the record, it is an Italian restaurant and they do some wonderful looking pasta. And – YOU CAN BRING YOUR OWN WINE! Get in there!

I had a most wonderful evening and cannot recommend Caffé Concerto enough. They now have 8 locations across London!

Favorite Dish:

The restaurant prides itself on’ 5 star services’ including valet parking, a priority cab service and a chauffeur service. They also provide a full bar, Happy Hours, a Non-Smoking Area and Takeout.

Caff�� Concerto - London Caff�� Concerto - London
    • Music

BANGLADESH TANDOORI: DRIVE BY - SCOTLAND

by DAO Updated Jun 13, 2015

Bangladesh Tandoori is by far the best Indian cuisine restaurant in all of Ardrishaig. It’s even the best Indian restaurant for 50 miles or more.

Actually it’s the ONLY Indian restaurant for 50 miles. And it’s not really good.

I am guessing that the Pub next door brings this any repeat trade that it does. I fell sorry for everyone in this community. I have had some absolutely delightful Indian meals in Scotland. This would never be one of them – even remotely. It’s just kind of a ‘here you go’ attitude to service, ingredients and taste. This is not even that great on a fast food basis, which it wasn’t fast either. It’s just poor.

If you are driving along, like I was, either go to the grocery store, or keep going. This is not worth the money – sorry. It was not cheap. I had £20 to spend and I couldn’t have a drink – as I was driving. My bill was more than that for a starter, main meal and 2 diet cokes. I ate it because I was hungry. I ordered the Mixed Grill as you usually get lots of meat and rice. No. Small portions. And it was lacking in flavour and the quality of the meat was on the tough side.

So just pass on by….

Open 11:30AM-11PM Monday-Saturday and 11AM-11PM Sundays.
    They do takeaways and delivery nearby.

Bangladesh Tandoori Ardrishaig Bangladesh Tandoori Ardrishaig Bangladesh Tandoori Ardrishaig Bangladesh Tandoori Ardrishaig Bangladesh Tandoori Ardrishaig
    • Motorcycle

THE REFINERY: ON A RECOMMENDATION - LONDON

by DAO Written May 26, 2015

I had never heard about this restaurant until it was recommended by not one, but by 3 of my colleagues. They were right! This is an excellent restaurant and a great experience. When we approached the venue I noticed some nice looking beach chairs outside. The restaurant is a large and nice looking glass building. Inside we were greeted warmly and quickly shown a table. Cold drinks appeared quickly and our orders were placed. First to arrive were some ‘Sharing Flatbreads’. Essentially world class bruchetta, just a little flatter. It was so good that there was a real scramble at the table to eat every bite. I ordered a steak and a beautiful cut of meat arrived with some excellent peppercorn sauce. With a few cold pints of beer and good company, I had a brilliant meal here.

The kitchen is open sided so you can watch the chefs preparing some amazing food. If you order seafood, you can see your fresh fish on ice before it’s prepared! This is a great place to find – especially if you are wanting to have a great business meal.

Well done Refinery people!

(A discretionary service charge of 12.5% is added to all bills)

The Refinery - London The Refinery - London The Refinery - London The Refinery - London The Refinery - London
    • Beer Tasting

• DAO's Profile Photo

KOKEB - LONDON: LIKE MUM MAKES (IN ETHIOPIA)

by DAO Written May 3, 2015

This is Ethiopian food like they make at home. I know – I used to live in Ethiopia. They also have the best Injera in London. The food was fantastic. It was as authentic in terms of taste as any meal I ever in Ethiopia. The owner is a nice lady from just south of Addis Ababa named Getenesh Demissie Gebremichal, or “Geti". She really makes you feel welcome. You can enjoy authentic Ethiopian recipes and Ethiopian beer. A nice relaxing meal in a peaceful setting.

If you have never eaten Ethiopian food (Injera), they have written instructions on how to do so with photos inside their menus! She also has ‘Tej’ whick is fermented honey wine that takes 1-3 years to produce. If that doesn’t appeal to you, then order an authentic Ethiopian Beer “kazz kazza”. That means ‘cold’.

Highly recommended by me. She also gets great reviews across many websites.

Opening Hours:
    Mon-Sat 12pm-10pm
    Sun 4pm-10pm

Favorite Dish:
    They have a 'combination' meal deal. A meat dish with a vegetarian one. I had Doro Wat and let my hosts choose the vegetarian dish for me. Doro Wat is a chicken dish with spicy red sauce and a boiled egg.

Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant - London Kokeb Ethiopian Restaurant - London Tej !!! The instructions ! kok

BISHOP'S - BELFAST: CHIPS IN PEPPERCORN SAUCE

by DAO Written Apr 16, 2015

Bishops is a Belfast institution. Although it was only founded in 1991. it has an old world feel to it. They do make very good chips. Big proper chips. I found this place after a little bit of pub hopping in the nearby area. I was very surprised and pleased to see that they had lots of sauces to put on the chips. I tried the peppercorn sauce and it was perfect! Absolutely stunningly filling and tasty.

The interior is very classy. In fact they invite you to "Enjoy our Marble Open Fires, Antique Furniture and Ornaments, Terrzzo Marble Floor." This is a great place to bring family and friends. They are fully wheelchair accessible, have baby changing facilities and high chairs.

The menu is very 'traditional' in that you can get fish & chips, burgers and lasagne. The real variety is Breakfast. Try this on for size:
    The Jumbo Fry
    2 sausages, bacon, 2 eggs, 2 soda bread, 2 potato bread, 2 hash browns, mushrooms and tomato.

The best thing? They are open very late for people coming out of nearby pubs and clubs!

Opening Hours:
    Mon - Wed 10am - 2am
    Thur - Sat 10am - 3am
    Sun 10am - 1am

364 Days a Year

Waitress Services Available
    Mon - Sun 10am - 11pm

Favorite Dish:
    A large portion of chips with peppercorn sauce and a cold beer (from the off licence nearby)

OH YES !

THE LONSDALE: MAGNIFICENT IN LONDON

by DAO Written Apr 15, 2015

Stupendous! Awesome! Bravo! The Lonsdale is a rare treat you can afford with one of their deals on the Openable website. I was shown to a great table, warmly welcomed, and served with many a smile. They manage to put together a world-class menu, deliver the goods and make it a trendy cocktail bar as well. The atmosphere is perfect for a romantic meal, a friendly conversation or a business meal for 1. It has a buzz without the need to drown out your conversation.

The food itself it a real indulgence in fine d inning. My starter was the ‘Pressed three bird confit, liver parfait and spiced pear chutney. Stunningly delicious. A unique choice that rewards those looking for something new. My main had to be one of the great sounding steaks. As they say on their menu:

"All of our beef, lamb & pork...supplied by Lake District Farmers....produce the best...Cumbrian breeds such as Herdwick lamb, Galloway, Blue Greys & Short Horn beef. The joints are cut by master butchers and hung for a minimum of 35 days."

The steak that arrived on my plate looked as good as advertised. It tasted even better, if that is possible. Accompanied by green beans and the best Caesar Salad I have ever had. In fact my steak was the best I have ever eaten in the UK. Even the house red wine was delicious. The chefs here at the Lonsdale know how to serve up absolute taste delights. I even watched them working in the kitchen and they take real care with their dishes.

Opening hours:
    Tuesday - Thursday: 6pm - Midnight
    Friday - Saturday: 6pm - 1am
    Sundays and Mondays - closed

Favorite Dish:
    STEAK !!!! ANY STEAK ! And the house red wine is great !

The Lonsdale - London The Lonsdale - London Watch your food being prepared The Lonsdale - London Even the bathrooms are cool!
    • Wine Tasting

• DAO's Profile Photo

KAZAN: TURKISH DELIGHT (LONDON) - HALF PRICE !

by DAO Updated Apr 12, 2015

PLEASE NOTE - THIS RESTAURANT IS NOW CALLED FORA.
    Levent and Bulent Hassan are Turkish-Cypriot brothers who opened Kazan Victoria in 2002 and the restaurant I ate at their location in Houndsditch. I think these guys should get an award for their contributions to gorgeous tasting food. My meal was so good I really wanted to lick my plate clean. And the best part? I booked on-line and received 50% off my food bill!

Kazan offers some recipes that are at least 500 years old, use spices imported from the Anatolian region of Turkey and cook it to absolute perfection. I had the Ottoman (mixed) Grill and each piece of meat was marinated in a different set of spices and my plate absolutely exploded with flavour. In a city full of good restaurants, Kazan is one of the best of the best. It’s also very loud inside. That’s because it is packed. If you book your table on-line (recommended) via their website or London Eating, you can get your food at half-price! This is an enjoyable restaurant. It has comfortable sofas with pillows, fantastic sinks in their bathrooms (pictured) and has some excellent decorations in their bar area. Altogether a really great dinning experience.

The only downside is that they do not make good Mojitos, but their drinks menu has a lot to offer and their wine list is pretty solid.

At these prices you cannot afford to miss Kazan.

Favorite Dish:
    Here are the descriptions of my fantastic food taken right from their Menu:
    OTTOMAN GRILL
    Marinated til tender; a selection of chicken and lamb shish and kofte plus a lamb chop, poussin and garlic sausage. Served with rice or chunky fries and salad
    TAVUK KOFTE
    Chargrilled minced chicken with hot spices and cheese

Fresh marinated olives and warm bread were also brought to the table during my awesome meal. I chased all this down with a nice glass of Yakut Rouge, a delightful Turkish wine.

Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London

• DAO's Profile Photo

BEACH BLANKET BABYLON: $3000 AND NO SOAP IN LONDON!

by DAO Written Apr 11, 2015

More pretentious than delicious. If you have a bottle of wine for £2300 – you should have soap in your toilets! My starter was a good looking salad, just not a great tasting one. Using green tomatoes is a mistake. My chicken was nice, nothing more. My cheese & biscuits were the star of the show. My beer, like all drinks was expensive. This is a place to be seen at. They need to paint, clean, polish. This is expensive unless you use on of the deals on the OpenTable Website.

If you feel the need to eat here - get a deal here:

OpenTable website

BEACH BLANKET BABYLON - LONDON GREEN TOMATOS? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
    • Gay and Lesbian

Café at the Palace in Edinburgh: Tea break at Palace of Holyroodhouse

by hopang Updated Dec 7, 2014

We came to Café at the Palace only for tea break even though the Café also serves delicious breakfast and lunch. The Café is located at the exit of Palace of Holyroodhouse behind the Palace's souvenir shop.

Present either your hop-on-hop-off bus tour tickets or your Royal Edinburgh tickets to the personnel at the Café and you will receive a small piece of complementary delicious Crown short bread from them. We received six pieces of Crown short bread (as depicted on our first two photographs) as we have six Royal Edinburgh tickets with us. The Crown short bread is certainly ideal for your tea break especially when you are a little bit hungry and thirsty at the end of your long tour at Palace of Holyroodhouse. We ordered some tea and coffee which did not cost much. Not many visitors to the Palace of Holyroodhouse know about this and don't miss the opportunity to taste some really delicious Crown short bread when you visit the Palace of Holyroodhouse and the Café at the Palace on your vacation in the city of Edinburgh.

Complementary Crown short bread Tasty Crown short bread Caf�� at the Palace in Edinburgh Caf�� at the Palace in Edinburgh Caf�� at the Palace in Edinburgh
    • Castles and Palaces

The Square in Edinburgh: Delicious full traditional Scottish breakfast

by hopang Updated Nov 16, 2014

We were staying at The Place but took our breakfast at The Square just several blocks from our hotel on the opposite side of the road. The restaurant serves breakfast and lunch only. We came to the restaurant two days in a row. On our first visit we opted for full traditional Scottish breakfast which was really delicious. We really enjoyed our breakfast there. Traditional Scottish breakfast is quite similar to full traditional English breakfast or even full traditional Irish breakfast except for several ingredients especially fried haggis. Other ingredients in traditional Scottish breakfast include fried bacons, fried eggs, Lorne sausages (sliced sausages), black pudding, grilled tomatoes, toast, baked beans and fried mushrooms.

On our second morning we opted for hams and eggs which were also very delicious. The restaurant is quite small and has seating capacity for approximately 20 diners at a time. They have outdoor seating as well but only during the summer months. However services are fast and efficient and you do not have to wait very long for your food to arrive. Prices of food in the restaurant are reasonably priced. They serve really good coffee and tea for breakfast. If you sit near the windows, you may enjoy the Edinburgh airport trams passing by outside every now and then. We will not hesitate to visit the restaurant again if and when we visit the city of Edinburgh again.

Favorite Dish: Our favourite dish at The Square were full traditional Scottish breakfast and hams and eggs for breakfast.

The Square in Edinburgh Full traditional Scottish breakfast Breakfast at The Square with a tram passing by Ham and egg on the second day Ham and egg at The Square
    • Photography

• hopang's Profile Photo

Saigon Saigon Chinese Restaurant in Edinburgh: Authentic Chinese food and dim sum

by hopang Updated Nov 15, 2014

Saigon Saigon Chinese Restaurant is one of the best Chinese restaurants in the city of Edinburgh. If you are looking for Chinese food in the city of Edinburgh you may try this authentic Chinese restaurant. The food is quite tasty and delicious in our opinion although we did not try their dim sum which many consider one of the best in the United Kingdom.

The restaurant has rather expansive and rich decorations typical of a decent Chinese restaurant. It is certainly a fancy and elegant Chinese restaurant. The restaurant is big and spacious and has two floors with lots of seating, probably has a seating capacity for more than 100 diners at a time. We ordered several plates of some authentic Chinese food.

Saigon Saigon Chinese Restaurant in Edinburgh Saigon Saigon Chinese Restaurant in Edinburgh Some authentic Chinese food Authentic Chinese food with rice Saigon Saigon Chinese Restaurant in Edinburgh
    • Photography

Castle Cafe Bar in Edinburgh: Delicious fish and chips

by hopang Updated Nov 15, 2014

Castle Cafe Bar has one of the best haggis and fish and chips in the city of Edinburgh, but we opted for fish and chips for lunch. We were certainly not disappointed. Castle Cafe Bar is a snack bar as well as a cafe. Breakfast is also available here together with other snacks such as Scotch pie, macaroni cheese etc.

The dining room is quite small, probably has a seating capacity for between 20 and 30 diners at one time not counting the outdoor seating. It seems to us this is a family business and is one of the most patronised cafes in and around Edinburgh Castle. Services are fast and effiicient and we did not have to wait too long for our food. It is not a fancy cafe with just simple furnitures and decorations but the prices here are cheap and affordable. It certainly is very crowded during lunch hours. Try the fish and chips in the Cafe if you happen to visit Edinburgh Castle!

Delicious fish and chips at Castle Cafe Bar Castle Cafe Bar in Edinburgh

3580 Reviews - 7366 Photos
Weymouth Hotels
149 Reviews - 274 Photos

Instant Answers: United Kingdom

Comments

United Kingdom Restaurants

leics's Profile Photo

You'll find hundeds of thousands of eating places, with cuisines from around the world....from Thai to Gurkha, from Italian to ...well, English! UK eating, like the UK itself, is hugely...

Map of United Kingdom

DINNER
Sep 19, 2015
Annual VT Treasure Hunt
Sep 20, 2015
Open House Day (Part of Treasure Hunt meet)

see all United Kingdom member meetings