Places to eat in United Kingdom

Most Viewed Restaurants in United Kingdom

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Café Revive: All over the UK

by christine.j Written Oct 23, 2006

You'll find Marks and Spencer stores all over the UK. Many of these stores have a café, called Café Revive. It's not a restaurant for a full lunch or even dinner, but a good choice for a quick rest while sightseeing or shopping. Their coffee is really good, you can have a sandwich or some biscuits and regain your strength. There are bathrooms at the cafés, free of charge.

• Women's Travel

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

The Halfway House: Traditional Scottish food.

by IreneMcKay Written Aug 23, 2012

When we visit Edinburgh we normally eat and drink in the Halfway House a tiny pub on the steps of Fleshmarket Close. The pub is extremely small and is not pleasant when overcrowded, but if you can get in and get a decent seat it serves excellent traditional Scottish food among other dishes.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish here is Cullin Skink - a Scottish fish soup served with bread and butter. I also enjoyed the game pie. My husband is a fan of the sausages in mustard gravy.

The Halfway House. Typical menu.

• tvor's Profile Photo

Pizza Express/Bella Pasta: Quick pasta and pizza

by tvor Updated May 12, 2003

Two restaurants, Bella Pasta and Pizza Express are franchises of pizza and pasta restaurants around the UK. Both have a good variety on the menu and the pizza has always been hot and delicious with fresh toppings. I recommend either.

ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR: EAST AFRICAN TREASURE - LONDON

by DAO Written May 1, 2013

This place is a little treasure. I was amazed at how much great looking food kept going to other tables. I was in a hurry and my service was swift, friendly and my food arrived quickly. My combo meal was a real treat. 2 different great tasting dishes served on some very goo injera. This Eritrean/Ethiopian cuisine restaurant is worth a meal. You can have a couple of cold beers and a lot of food for under £25. The restaurant had a great buzz, the waitress glided along and there must have been several cooks going non-stop. This was a great experience and I will enjoy eating here again.

If you have never had injera and Eritrean food – this is a good place to start.

They are open:
    Sunday - Thursday
    12:00 - 23:00
    Fridays & Saturdays
    12:00 - Late

Favorite Dish:
    They offer some fantastic combination deals with Injera. You can have 2 or even 3 dishes for less than £15 and it will fill you up. I had 'Doro Wat'. It is spelled a bit differently on the menu, but it is very traditional. It contains boned chicken with a boiled egg in a spicy red sauce. It is slightly hot. My other main was the vegetarian Ajbo Hamli. This is made from chopped spinach and cheese with spices. I washed all this down with an authentic St. George's beer. Delicious. They also serve traditional honey wine called Tej (listed as Meyes on the menu).

ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR
    • Business Travel

The Golden Galleon: Fresh Fish

by margaretvn Updated Nov 26, 2006

We decided to eat fish and chips on the day we visited Aldeburgh, figured a seaside place with a fishing tradition would be a good place to do that. The weather was lovely and warm so we decided to buy our fish and chips and eat them on the beach. It was a very good decision. We went to the Golden Galleon on the main street of Aldeburgh and then cross over the srteet and there we were on the sea front. The service was good and the fish and chips freshly fried and piping hot. They were not at all greasy and very tasty. There is just nothing to beat eating them out of the paper on the beach. Later while we were exploring the place we saw a long line waiting to be served - it tailed off along the road! It showed us that the shop was very popular with the locals as well. Next door to the fish shop is a restaurabt if you do not fancy eating with your fingers or if the weather is less friendly than it was that day.

Favorite Dish: We had the medium cod and chips and I can really reccomend it - very tasty. Do not order the large unless you have a very big appetite and I mean VERY big appetite as the portions are large.

The Golden Galleon
    • Museum Visits
    • Hiking and Walking

Treasure Inn: the King Prawn was wonderful

by margaretvn Updated Apr 4, 2011

We went here with my parents to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and had a lovely meal. The people were very friendly , the food was delicious and tasty, there was no loud music so we could chat easily with each other (my dad is a bit deaf which sometimes gives problems).
    The menu has a good range of dishes. There also a happy hour when meals are cheaper and the dishes are also available as take away.
    They are being renovated at the moment but we did not have any problems because of that.

Favorite Dish: Koos had Chinese Roast Duck and said it was delicious and I had Cantonese Sweet and Sour King Prawn ..... the best I have ever had !

• Wowmoment's Profile Photo

Many all over the UK: Indian Restaurants

by Wowmoment Written Mar 21, 2008

Usually Indian restaurants are terrific. Good food and great value.

Portions tend to be on the large side so order rice between two and a Chapati or Naan bread to share. Then order sharing meat & veg dishes. Its so easy to over order and waste food (money).

YATAI: THE BEST RESTAURANT IN THE UK

by DAO Written Mar 6, 2008

I found Scotland’s best restaurant entirely by accident. I was walking around and was invited by the fantastic smells as I walked along the street. When I went in I was greeted by the owner and head chef, John Jones. He explained that Yatai are open air food stalls in Japan where work colleagues and friends gather for food and drinks. The restaurant is small and intimate and the staff really take pride in their job. Every dish is a creation of a totally great food explosion with reasonably sized portions. The menu is large, varied and has something for everyone. Where to many trendy restaurants try the minimalist art approach; Yatai feeds you mouth watering meals. Make sure you BOOK IN ADVANCE. John did speak to me when I found his fantastic restaurant, but he was fully booked for the night! Also, if you have never tried sushi, you will forever be disappointed in other sushi restaurants in the UK. This is as good as it can get. If you are not a fan of sushi, eat here. This is more than sushi, its creative mixes of foods that taste fabulous and it’s not all raw.

Opening hours:
    Tues-Sat: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 11pm
    Sun-Mon: 5pm-10pm

Favorite Dish: I have eaten quite a few different dishes on the menu and every bite has been fantastic. Some of the dishes I really like are:
    • Hotate asupara - Scallops and asparagus with black beans
    • Gyu niku teriyaki - Rib-eye with a sweet soy and chilli
    • Unagi no kabayaki - Fresh water eel with a soy glaze and sansho pepper
    • Chef’s selection of maki and nigiri ( several great dishes together)

It is essential that it all be accompanied by a cold Iki beer.

Their mouth-watering menu can be found on their website. Warning: It will make you hungry!

• Business Travel

Rumours: great sandwiches

by margaretvn Written May 13, 2007

This is a continental style coffee shop/ deli. The restaurant was clean and the owners were very friendly. The food and drinks were freshly made and very tasty.

Favorite Dish: I had a baguette with brie, carnberry auce and grapes, it was served with salad. Koos had a toasted panini with cheese, bacon and tomato also served with salad. We both had moccha coffees which were good although for me a little too sweet. The sandwiches were freshly made and very tasty. Also important for us - we had asked for not butter on the sandwiches and there was no butter on them - so often the request for no butter is not remembered in the ktichen and Koos just cannot eat it.

Rumours, Alnwick
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Castles and Palaces

• DAO's Profile Photo

THE OLD ORIGINAL BAKEWELL PUDDING SHOP: IT'S NOT A TART !

by DAO Written Mar 6, 2008

OK, OK! It’s a pudding! If you cannot get to Bakewell, let Bakewell come to you. Please read on. This is a nice little shop that also serves as a tea room and gift shop. You can select from a huge variety of cakes and puddings, not just the famous ones. They also have gourmet coffees, teas, chocolates and other goodies. Throw in a few handicrafts and you have a place worth having a peek at. They also ship famous Bakewell Puddings – worldwide. If you don’t believe me, go to the town Post Office at 5 o’clock!

Their website listed below has more information, prices and availability.

Bon Appétit!

• Women's Travel

Many different restaurants.: Rose Street

by IreneMcKay Written Aug 23, 2012

Rose Street in Edinburgh's new town runs parallel to Princes Street. It is a centre for restaurants, cafes and bars. There are lots to choose from.

We ate in the Amber Rose which was very cheap both for food and drink. We bought meals (chicken and mushroom pie, haddock and chips) including pints of carlsberg, strongbow etc for £6.95. The pub also offered two meals for £8.95. Food was OK, not great, not bad. It was certainly plentiful and filling. A pint of beer cost £2.55 (John Smith's, Carlsberg, Tennants) - a miracle by Edinburgh standards. Bottles of wine started from £6.95- also amazing for Edinburgh.

Quiz night on Tuesday. Live music Friday and Saturday. Much cheaper than eating/drinking in the old town. We were there on a Tuesday not sure if there are the same great deals at weekends.

I would certainly recommend Rose Street as an alternative to the old town for meals.

Rose Street.

• hotlipz's Profile Photo

The Bel and the Dragon. Godalming, England: How to worship food!

by hotlipz Written Feb 7, 2005

The Bell and the Dragon is an old church that has been converted into a restaurant. This may sound a bit strange but I have taken my American colleagues there a few times now and so have had no complaints! The menu is daunting, the service is good and the food is fantastic - they also have an enormous wine cellar behind the bar (that used to be the altar!) I love the atmosphere, the surroundings, the gallery and the location - its gotta be worth a visit if you are in Guildford or Godalming. This may not be the cheapest restaurant in the area but its well worth a visit.

Favorite Dish: Pan Fried Breast of Duck with Sarladise Potatoes, warm Pear and Shallot Marmalade and Madeira Jus - yum!! I particularly like the fact that you have have more vegetables with your meal - definitley a heallthy plus! Another recomendation is the Sunday roast - the beef is superb and I guarantee you wont need to eat again all day!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo

Metropolitan: Fish and Chips and a pint of beer

by dr.firas Updated Oct 6, 2004

We went me my friend Mohammed *Mido* and his sister Rihab to the Metropolitan restaurant which is really great in decoration and service, and Mido was all the time repeating that I have to try the most traditional food in London : Fish and Chips (with salt and vinegar) plus a pint of beer, and I did it finally and I have to say I liked it so much, it was really great to see number one of the English public most famous food :-D

Fish and Chips

• dr.firas's Profile Photo

Fish & chips in Metropolitan: Fish and Chips and a pint of beer

by dr.firas Written Oct 11, 2004

Rihab, Mido and Firas

The Euston Flyer: Pleasant meal

by IreneMcKay Updated Jun 23, 2012

I had a meal here with a friend on a recent visit to London. This is quite a friendly pub serving breakfasts, lunch and dinner. My friend is vegetarian. There were a couple of choices for him. In the end he went for mushroom and mozzarella ravioli. I had chicken mushroom pie. The food was tasty and arrived pretty quickly. A pleasant spot for a quick and filling lunch.

United Kingdom Hotels

5 Reviews - 5 Photos
Whitby Hotels
354 Reviews - 740 Photos

Instant Answers: United Kingdom

Comments

United Kingdom Restaurants

leics's Profile Photo

You'll find hundeds of thousands of eating places, with cuisines from around the world....from Thai to Gurkha, from Italian to ...well, English! UK eating, like the UK itself, is hugely...

Map of United Kingdom