Places to eat in United Kingdom

Most Viewed Restaurants in United Kingdom

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Café Revive: All over the UK

by christine.j Written Oct 23, 2006

You'll find Marks and Spencer stores all over the UK. Many of these stores have a café, called Café Revive. It's not a restaurant for a full lunch or even dinner, but a good choice for a quick rest while sightseeing or shopping. Their coffee is really good, you can have a sandwich or some biscuits and regain your strength. There are bathrooms at the cafés, free of charge.

• Women's Travel

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

The Halfway House: Traditional Scottish food.

by IreneMcKay Written Aug 23, 2012

When we visit Edinburgh we normally eat and drink in the Halfway House a tiny pub on the steps of Fleshmarket Close. The pub is extremely small and is not pleasant when overcrowded, but if you can get in and get a decent seat it serves excellent traditional Scottish food among other dishes.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish here is Cullin Skink - a Scottish fish soup served with bread and butter. I also enjoyed the game pie. My husband is a fan of the sausages in mustard gravy.

The Halfway House. Typical menu.
    • Beer Tasting

ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR: EAST AFRICAN TREASURE - LONDON

by DAO Written May 1, 2013

This place is a little treasure. I was amazed at how much great looking food kept going to other tables. I was in a hurry and my service was swift, friendly and my food arrived quickly. My combo meal was a real treat. 2 different great tasting dishes served on some very goo injera. This Eritrean/Ethiopian cuisine restaurant is worth a meal. You can have a couple of cold beers and a lot of food for under £25. The restaurant had a great buzz, the waitress glided along and there must have been several cooks going non-stop. This was a great experience and I will enjoy eating here again.

If you have never had injera and Eritrean food – this is a good place to start.

They are open:
    Sunday - Thursday
    12:00 - 23:00
    Fridays & Saturdays
    12:00 - Late

Favorite Dish:
    They offer some fantastic combination deals with Injera. You can have 2 or even 3 dishes for less than £15 and it will fill you up. I had 'Doro Wat'. It is spelled a bit differently on the menu, but it is very traditional. It contains boned chicken with a boiled egg in a spicy red sauce. It is slightly hot. My other main was the vegetarian Ajbo Hamli. This is made from chopped spinach and cheese with spices. I washed all this down with an authentic St. George's beer. Delicious. They also serve traditional honey wine called Tej (listed as Meyes on the menu).

ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR ZIGNI HOUSE RESTARANT & BAR

• tvor's Profile Photo

Pizza Express/Bella Pasta: Quick pasta and pizza

by tvor Updated May 12, 2003

Two restaurants, Bella Pasta and Pizza Express are franchises of pizza and pasta restaurants around the UK. Both have a good variety on the menu and the pizza has always been hot and delicious with fresh toppings. I recommend either.

RIVINGTON BAR & GRILL: SUPERFANTASTIC IN LONDON

by DAO Written Jul 8, 2014

I was invited to dinner at this absolutely fantastic restaurant and enjoyed every single bite. The Rivington has a nice Bistro décor and the service is professional. I started with a cold pint of Peroni beer to get the evening started. While sitting at my nice white linen covered table I had a good look over the menu and specials board. Usually the terms ‘British Cuisine’ can lead to a bit of trepidation, but everything sounded great. The Rivington specialises in dishes and food sourced across Britain and Ireland from seafood to steaks. I started with a large Eggs Royale and it was superb. This was followed with one of the less-expensive steaks and a glass of house red wine. Absolutely superb! I don’t eat deserts but the other dinners raved about their after meal treats.

The Rivington is an absolute first class gourmet British Restaurant and a real star in a city that suffers from too many mediocre venues. It is a shore walk from Liverpool Street Station and is great for a business or romantic meal.

To start of your week, try their (Un)Screw Mondays when there are no corkage fees.

You can book online and they also have another ;location in Greenwich and 2 in Dubai.

(A discretionary service charge of 12.5% is added to your bill, but it all goes straight to the staff.)

Opening Times:
    Breakfast 8am to 11am Monday to Friday
    Lunch 12noon to 5pm Monday to Friday
    Dinner 5pm to 11pm Monday to Saturday (10pm Sunday)
    Weekend Brunch 11am to 4pm Saturday & Sunday
    Bar Menu All day every day

RIVINGTON BAR & GRILL RIVINGTON BAR & GRILL RIVINGTON BAR & GRILL
    • Wine Tasting

GREAT NEPALESE RESTAURANT: TASTE THAT'S TOP OF THE WORLD- LONDON

by DAO Written Aug 10, 2014

Because there are so many good restaurants in London, I try never to eat at the same place twice. I have returned and it’s been perfect every time. I found this restaurant by accident and it’s a true wonder of the world. Everything tastes absolutely fantastic. Nepalese food is similar to Indian food, but surpasses it in spicy taste without the heat. The intimate atmosphere is complemented by the professional and friendly staff. They have a very large menu, but the ingredients are all fresh and the meals are a real delight in terms of presentation as well as taste. This is a must eat at restaurant for anyone looking for out of the ordinary cuisine.

Favorite Dish:
    Momo for a starter. That’s a steamed meat dumpling in sauce (pictured). Then the Nepalese Mixed Grill with Roti and Rice. All this washed down with a tasty large (600 ml) Kathmandu beer.

MOMO NAPALESE MIXED GRILL

The Golden Galleon: Fresh Fish

by margaretvn Updated Nov 26, 2006

We decided to eat fish and chips on the day we visited Aldeburgh, figured a seaside place with a fishing tradition would be a good place to do that. The weather was lovely and warm so we decided to buy our fish and chips and eat them on the beach. It was a very good decision. We went to the Golden Galleon on the main street of Aldeburgh and then cross over the srteet and there we were on the sea front. The service was good and the fish and chips freshly fried and piping hot. They were not at all greasy and very tasty. There is just nothing to beat eating them out of the paper on the beach. Later while we were exploring the place we saw a long line waiting to be served - it tailed off along the road! It showed us that the shop was very popular with the locals as well. Next door to the fish shop is a restaurabt if you do not fancy eating with your fingers or if the weather is less friendly than it was that day.

Favorite Dish: We had the medium cod and chips and I can really reccomend it - very tasty. Do not order the large unless you have a very big appetite and I mean VERY big appetite as the portions are large.

The Golden Galleon
    • Museum Visits
    • Hiking and Walking

Treasure Inn: the King Prawn was wonderful

by margaretvn Updated Apr 4, 2011

We went here with my parents to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and had a lovely meal. The people were very friendly , the food was delicious and tasty, there was no loud music so we could chat easily with each other (my dad is a bit deaf which sometimes gives problems).
    The menu has a good range of dishes. There also a happy hour when meals are cheaper and the dishes are also available as take away.
    They are being renovated at the moment but we did not have any problems because of that.

Favorite Dish: Koos had Chinese Roast Duck and said it was delicious and I had Cantonese Sweet and Sour King Prawn ..... the best I have ever had !

• Wowmoment's Profile Photo

Many all over the UK: Indian Restaurants

by Wowmoment Written Mar 21, 2008

Usually Indian restaurants are terrific. Good food and great value.

Portions tend to be on the large side so order rice between two and a Chapati or Naan bread to share. Then order sharing meat & veg dishes. Its so easy to over order and waste food (money).

YATAI: THE BEST RESTAURANT IN THE UK

by DAO Written Mar 6, 2008

I found Scotland’s best restaurant entirely by accident. I was walking around and was invited by the fantastic smells as I walked along the street. When I went in I was greeted by the owner and head chef, John Jones. He explained that Yatai are open air food stalls in Japan where work colleagues and friends gather for food and drinks. The restaurant is small and intimate and the staff really take pride in their job. Every dish is a creation of a totally great food explosion with reasonably sized portions. The menu is large, varied and has something for everyone. Where to many trendy restaurants try the minimalist art approach; Yatai feeds you mouth watering meals. Make sure you BOOK IN ADVANCE. John did speak to me when I found his fantastic restaurant, but he was fully booked for the night! Also, if you have never tried sushi, you will forever be disappointed in other sushi restaurants in the UK. This is as good as it can get. If you are not a fan of sushi, eat here. This is more than sushi, its creative mixes of foods that taste fabulous and it’s not all raw.

Opening hours:
    Tues-Sat: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 11pm
    Sun-Mon: 5pm-10pm

Favorite Dish: I have eaten quite a few different dishes on the menu and every bite has been fantastic. Some of the dishes I really like are:
    • Hotate asupara - Scallops and asparagus with black beans
    • Gyu niku teriyaki - Rib-eye with a sweet soy and chilli
    • Unagi no kabayaki - Fresh water eel with a soy glaze and sansho pepper
    • Chef’s selection of maki and nigiri ( several great dishes together)

It is essential that it all be accompanied by a cold Iki beer.

Their mouth-watering menu can be found on their website. Warning: It will make you hungry!

• DAO's Profile Photo

WOLKITE KITFO: ETHIOPIAN AT THE ARSENAL (London)

by DAO Written Jul 3, 2014

I can assure you that this is authentic and lovely Ethiopian cooking at it's best. I used to live in Ethiopia and was so pleased to enjoy an amazingly mouth-watering meal. The service is friendly and helpful. If you have never tried Ethiopian food, you are in for a real treat here at Wolkite Kitfo. The ingredients were fresh, tasty and cooked to perfection. And the authentic cold St Georges Beer definitely added to my dinning pleasure. Vegetarians can also experience probably the best non-meat options in the world in terms of cuisine. In terms of taste and value for money - this is a top London restaurant. They even get the hardest part to make outside of Ethiopia - the Injera itself - perfect. It is located at the massive Arsenal Stadium, so very easy to find.

I highly recommend Wolkite Kitfo!

Open: 7 days a week 12pm - 11pm

ማኅበራዊ (Mahibererawi)
    Combination Beef, Lamb and vegetarian dishes homemade cottage cheese. Served on Injera (flat bread). And a cold St George’s beer brewed in Ethiopia!

WOLKITE KITFO RESTAURANT AND CAF�� - LONDON WOLKITE KITFO RESTAURANT AND CAF�� - LONDON WOLKITE KITFO RESTAURANT AND CAF�� - LONDON WOLKITE KITFO RESTAURANT AND CAF�� - LONDON WOLKITE KITFO RESTAURANT AND CAF�� - LONDON

BEL CANTO: THE MOST ENTERTAINING MEAL EVER

by DAO Updated Jul 31, 2014

OK. I don’t like Opera either. Having said that, my meal at Bel Canto was the most entertaining meal I have ever enjoyed in over 30 years of dinning out in London. Somehow they combine top-notch gourmet food with Opera that is actually very entertaining. The lady who seated me and gave me my menu then walked into the middle of the restaurant and belted out a dramatic tune in French. Wow. From time to time different waiters and hosts would perform to live musicians and right at the table. Absolutely wonderful. And guys, if you need a really romantic restaurant – get in there!

There are around 60 performers who work here in between working in the stage productions. Because of this range of talents you get a range of performances and even languages depending on who is working the night that you dine here. This makes for a very special evening.

The menu is pretty special too. Every mouthful was a delight and the desserts look great. I had my usual cheese and biscuits with a very good glass of red to finish off a fabulous meal.

The one thing to warn you about is that Bel Canto is not cheap. I booked my reservation on the OpenTable website and received 50% off. This made it a lot more economical. There are supplements for some dishes like the fillet steak and the cheese board. I had both and they were worth the extra money due to the fantastic quality and taste.

This is definitely recommended by me, but get your 50% off and reserve your table before you go. This place is busy every night of the week.

Open Tue-Sat 7pm-11:30pm

PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR MOBILE PHONE!

Favorite Dish:
    Opera Salad for a starter, Fillet Beef with peppercorn sauce (rare), cheese board and a glass of red. Delicious!

BEL CANTO - LONDON BEL CANTO - LONDON BEL CANTO - LONDON BEL CANTO - LONDON BEL CANTO - LONDON
    • Music

• DAO's Profile Photo

THE OLD ORIGINAL BAKEWELL PUDDING SHOP: IT'S NOT A TART !

by DAO Written Mar 6, 2008

OK, OK! It’s a pudding! If you cannot get to Bakewell, let Bakewell come to you. Please read on. This is a nice little shop that also serves as a tea room and gift shop. You can select from a huge variety of cakes and puddings, not just the famous ones. They also have gourmet coffees, teas, chocolates and other goodies. Throw in a few handicrafts and you have a place worth having a peek at. They also ship famous Bakewell Puddings – worldwide. If you don’t believe me, go to the town Post Office at 5 o’clock!

Their website listed below has more information, prices and availability.

Bon Appétit!

• Women's Travel

Rumours: great sandwiches

by margaretvn Written May 13, 2007

This is a continental style coffee shop/ deli. The restaurant was clean and the owners were very friendly. The food and drinks were freshly made and very tasty.

Favorite Dish: I had a baguette with brie, carnberry auce and grapes, it was served with salad. Koos had a toasted panini with cheese, bacon and tomato also served with salad. We both had moccha coffees which were good although for me a little too sweet. The sandwiches were freshly made and very tasty. Also important for us - we had asked for not butter on the sandwiches and there was no butter on them - so often the request for no butter is not remembered in the ktichen and Koos just cannot eat it.

Rumours, Alnwick
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Castles and Palaces

• DAO's Profile Photo

KAZAN: TURKISH DELIGHT (LONDON) - HALF PRICE !

by DAO Written Aug 26, 2014

Levent and Bulent Hassan are Turkish-Cypriot brothers who opened Kazan Victoria in 2002 and the restaurant I ate at their location in Houndsditch. I think these guys should get an award for their contributions to gorgeous tasting food. My meal was so good I really wanted to lick my plate clean. And the best part? I booked on-line and received 50% off my food bill!

Kazan offers some recipes that are at least 500 years old, use spices imported from the Anatolian region of Turkey and cook it to absolute perfection. I had the Ottoman (mixed) Grill and each piece of meat was marinated in a different set of spices and my plate absolutely exploded with flavour. In a city full of good restaurants, Kazan is one of the best of the best. It’s also very loud inside. That’s because it is packed. If you book your table on-line (recommended) via their website or London Eating, you can get your food at half-price! This is an enjoyable restaurant. It has comfortable sofas with pillows, fantastic sinks in their bathrooms (pictured) and has some excellent decorations in their bar area. Altogether a really great dinning experience.

The only downside is that they do not make good Mojitos, but their drinks menu has a lot to offer and their wine list is pretty solid.

At these prices you cannot afford to miss Kazan.

Favorite Dish:
    Here are the descriptions of my fantastic food taken right from their Menu:
    OTTOMAN GRILL
    Marinated til tender; a selection of chicken and lamb shish and kofte plus a lamb chop, poussin and garlic sausage. Served with rice or chunky fries and salad
    TAVUK KOFTE
    Chargrilled minced chicken with hot spices and cheese

Fresh marinated olives and warm bread were also brought to the table during my awesome meal. I chased all this down with a nice glass of Yakut Rouge, a delightful Turkish wine.

Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London Kazan Restaurant - London

United Kingdom Hotels

3537 Reviews - 7244 Photos
Great Yarmouth Hotels
31 Reviews - 116 Photos

Instant Answers: United Kingdom

Comments

United Kingdom Restaurants

leics's Profile Photo

You'll find hundeds of thousands of eating places, with cuisines from around the world....from Thai to Gurkha, from Italian to ...well, English! UK eating, like the UK itself, is hugely...

Map of United Kingdom

United Kingdom Members Meetings

Apr 01, 2015
show u around
Apr 17, 2015
Welcome Cecilia, and welcome back Jo!
Sep 04, 2015