This church has a massive arched entrance and dominates the small centre. A plaque outside reads:
A church has stood on this site since before 1086 AD. The present building is mainly 1633 AD, being restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1847-9. It has a ring of eight bells, four dating back to 1719. The oldest gravestone has a date of 1660.
The Crosses are very easy to find. They are in the main cobblestone square. There are old signs on some of the town walls just in case.
The plaque in front of the Crosses reads:
Completed in the 9th Century A.D. to commemorate the advent of Christianity in this Kingdom of Mercia about 653 A.D. in the reign of the Saxon King Penda. Restored in 1816 By Sir John Egerton after destruction by Iconoclasts.
The two sandstone obelisks bearing engravings which tell the story of the life of Christ and Penda's son, Peada.
For history buffs the Saxon Crosses in Sandbach's cobbled town square are the only "must see" feature, although there are some interesting things tucked away around the town.
We also boast a McDonald's which is about to close down because it isn't doing well enough.
Congleton Road, Sandbach, Cheshire, CW11 4ST, United Kingdom
Good for: Solo
School Lane, Warmingham, Sandbach, CW11 3QN, United Kingdom
Good for: Solo
Newcastle Road South, Brereton Green, Sandbach, CW11 1RS, United Kingdom
Good for: Solo
Brindley's is located next to the Trent & Mersay Cannal at Hassall Green about five miles outside Sandbach. It is in a 18th century canalside building.
It is named after Thomas Brindley the great canal engineer.
Varied menu, and interesting themed evening from time to time.
Nothing stands out as making it special, it just is. Some places are like that, you can't put your finger on why it is so good but you just like it.
Favorite Dish: Everything is cooked well and equally well presented, you need to book ahead particularly on Sundays.
This is strictly for relaxing and watching, although there are opportunities for more active participation not too far away.
CRICKET is played to a high standard at Elworth Cricket Club, which is about a mile out of Sandbach on the A533 ( the road to Middlewich). The ground is on the main road but is set in a beautiful surroundings. A recently redeveloped clubhouse which is open every evening except Tuesday (April-Sept) and open during the winter on a few nights a week.
It can get quite lively and racous when Elworth are playing a local rival in a league or cup match. Cricket is played every Saturday on the ground and most Sundays.
Sandbach, pronounced Sandbatch, is a pleasant, historic market town located in South East Cheshire. It has marvellous communications being approximately half a mile form Junction 17 on the M6 motorway. It has its own railway station on the Crewe to Manchester mainline as well as being only ten minutes drive from Crewe mainline station. London, Euston can be less than two hours away. Manchester International airport is easily accessible by train or car. The Trent and Mersey canal passes through the Town bringing numerous tourists in the summer. The surrounding countryside is mainly attractive dairy farmland and hence it is no surprise that Sandbach has grown rapidly in recent years as a dormitory town for the adjacent conurbations of Greater Manchester, Merseyside and the Potteries.
The population of Sandbach at the 2001 Census was 17,630. The population is increasing with new developments.
Until recent times Sandbach was best known as the home of the world famous truck manufacturers Fodens and ERF. Unfortunately, due to a decline in their commercial fortunes both companies were sold and the new owners decided that production was best achieved elsewhere. However, the world-famous Foden Brass Band is still based in Sandbach and continues to thrive. In November 2003 under their new name of Foden Richardson they confirmed their leading status by winning the United States Open Championship in Chicago.