Dumfries Restaurants

the dining room (website picture)
    by call_me_rhia
    street map
    by GillianMcLaughlin

Most Recent Restaurants in Dumfries

• Casa Mia: Defo among the better restaurants in Dumfries

by socheid Updated Apr 27, 2013

I went here in Sep 2011 back as part of a family meal. The organiser contacted the management in advance to ask if arrangements could be made for special diets. I expected to be offered the usual dull offerings that I get presented with. I was stunned to be given an imaginative choice of options that made me feel spoiled and easily surpassed my expectations. I couldn't make up my mind which to go for, a rare problem. I ended up enjoying the three courses thoroughly and I look forward very much to returning. I made a point of extending my compliments before I left.

I am sure there will be many less expensive eateries in Dumfries (probably pretty much everywhere). This restaurants targets the more expensive end of the restaurant market in Dumfries.

If you have a special diet to be considered then this place is defo an option to think about. Even if you don't and you don't mind paying a little extra cash for higher quality food, give this place a thought. Its on a par with Hullabaloo.

• Hullabaloo: Very enjoyable

by socheid Written Apr 27, 2013

I had a main course of an enchilada and a sundae for desert with berries and pistacio nuts. Both were excellent and in the same league as the standard of food I had when I went to Casa Mia. Its aimed at the pricier end of the restaurant market in Dumfries so may not be the best choice if you are on a very tight budget. My brother and nephew both also said it was good. Service was fine also.

A restaurant in Dumfries that offers a specialist vegan menu is something I didn't expect to see.

• New Dragon Chinese restaurant: Best avoided

by socheid Written Mar 9, 2008

I can't recommend this place. The menu is unimaginative, the quality of food is disappointing and the standard of the service is hardly the most welcoming. Additionally this restaurant does not open on the hours that it advertises both in the restaurant window nor in the yellow pages.

The are plenty of other Chinese restaurants in Dumfries town centre. I suggest you give them a try instead. This includes 1 on Queensberry St, 1 at Burns Statue Square and 2 on Friars Vennel.

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Hullaballoo: Burns Centre eaterie

by clivedinburgh Written Nov 30, 2005

Went here several times for long lunches and occasionaly a full blown evening meals. Always good quality served with a smile.

Good to combine with a visit to the excellent cinema down below.

Favorite Dish: Salmon is always a fave

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo

The Benvenuto: One of scotland's culinary gems

by GillianMcLaughlin Written Feb 8, 2004

street map

In a country that boasts some of the best Italian restaurants outside italy, Dumfries is the proud home to a hidden gem. The Benvenuto boasts excellent seafood, freshly made pizzas baked in their own over and one of the finest wine lists in southern Scotland.

The atmosphere is relaxed and you sense you're eating in a family-run establishment.

It overlooks the hospital where I was born!

Favorite Dish: The Benvenuto offers some of the best seafood in the area. The menu depends very much on what's fresh and what's good on the day. Pizza's are traditional and excellent. The benvenuto imports excellent wines and Grappa directly from suppliers in Italy.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

mabie house restaurant: hearty country food

by call_me_rhia Updated May 23, 2003

the dining room (website picture)

Well, after all who said that Scottish food is generally bland? It's really not so true... when we went to Mabie house we had some really delicious half traditional half creative meals

Favorite Dish: I dont' remember exactly who odered it.. it may even have been me.. the river trout was simply superb... However I do believe that the menu changes according o the mood and the season.

• Ruthy2001's Profile Photo

Hullabaloo: huge portions and variety of countries

by Ruthy2001 Written Sep 4, 2002

Hullaballo was opened by a local girl a few years ago and was a real breath of fresh air for Dumfries. The menu has a variety of worl dishes for example fajitas or pasta. Its simple yet good food. The restaurant is next to the local film theatre and has a really nice atmosphere with a mixture of Ikea and Habitat furnishings.

Favorite Dish: I really liked the lamb kebabs although the portions were slightly on the massive side.

Instant Answers: Dumfries

Comments

Dumfries Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Dumfries restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dumfries sightseeing.