Saint Andrews Restaurants

• spocklogic's Profile Photo

Whey Pat Tavern: A piece of the past in St. Andrews

by spocklogic Updated Aug 29, 2013

Whey Pat Tavern - streetside

This restaurant/tavern takes its name from 'Whey', a liquid remaining after milk has been curdled & strained, and Pat, which is a pot. Doesn't sound too appealing, but apparently around the 12th century on this spot, gruel was being served to Pilgrims entering from the West Port in St. Andrews. The current building originates from 1902, but was an inn here since 1580. That's the historical summary of this place and origin of the name.

The tavern is a popular place among students, professors, lecturers and locals in St. Andrews, which is a place known mostly for St. Andrews University and the Old Course (home of golf), and it has a relaxed atmosphere inside. Me and a colleague of mine were brought here by a professor at St. Andrews University for lunch and got a taste of their triple decker tall sandwiches. It's a bit of a challenge on the first bite to wrap your mouth around these sandwiches, but they are quite good and more than enough for a lunch time meal - very filing and served with nacho chips.

I liked the experience at Whey Pat Tavern. It had a local Scottish pub atmosphere and plenty of draught beers and other spirits to sample as well (although we did not partake in any for lunch). Apparently there are some competitions during the week that take place here such as dominoes, and a pub quiz night with prizes. There are various student groups that meet here during the week too. I understand a darts game is known to break out now and again between students and locals. Whey Pat even has a darts team that might help you on your game with some tips and advice - good way to socialize a bit. While not the most trendy place in St. Andrews, it is good, basic, Scottish pub fun where everyone is welcomed.

Favorite Dish: Try the triple decker tall sandwiches - fresh and filling

• iaint's Profile Photo

The Seafood Restaurant: A classic

by iaint Written Aug 12, 2012
    better in the sun...

I visited this restaurant for the first (and I hope not the last) time in spring 11. The location is spectacular, right on the beach. We watched the tide come in as we ate lunch.

The service was spectacular too, as was the food. The bill? Yes, spectacular!

We both had a starter, and then shared a seafood platter. Lobster, prawn, crab, oyster... you name it. Wonderful. A glass of wine may have been involved, but I was driving. Next time I’ll plan better.

I did have an occasional vision of the Ayr Ladies tramping their way across the Old Course in the dark in their high heels, to get from their hotel to the restaurant. A ghost from the mists of time.

I wish I had a picture from a sunny day - which it was when I was there last year - but this will have to do meantime. The architecture is interesting, and won’t be to everyone’s taste. How did they get to build it that way in that location?

Oh yes, the bill. £90 for 2. Not what I usually spend on lunch, but she’s worth it.

Favorite Dish: The seafood platter. Fresh & delicious.

• Golf
    • Beaches

• iaint's Profile Photo

West Port: happy to recommend

by iaint Updated Aug 12, 2012
    the building on the right

I had Sunday lunch there today. As soon as I got inside I realised I'd been before, but a few years back.

It's very attractive and modern inside, once past the traditional exterior. It has a large outdoor area at the back - not quite warm enough for that today as far as I was concerned, but plenty others were using it. It's covered by a canopy.

The service was good, and all 3 of us were happy with what we had. £29 all in, so not expensive.

By coincidence, today I was there to have lunch with a friend who was also in my university rugby team, and also enjoyed giving the St Andrews students a few good whacks (refer to my St A intro page for more info). Good to see you again, Gus.

Favorite Dish: I can't remember what I had on my last visit. Today it was a piri piri chicken burger with mozzarella. Good, but certainly not inspiring.

• Golf
    • Beaches

• Redang's Profile Photo

R & R decoration: Ziggy's Restaurant

by Redang Updated Apr 4, 2011

Ziggy's Restaurant (St Andrews, Scotland, U.K.)

I happen to find this restaurant when I was looking for a place for dinner. I had a look inside, and i liked the decoration because it is about Rock & Roll music. Nice atmosphere here, I had a good dinner, and I don't considered it expensive, at least regarding today's prices.

This restaurant was founded in 1.983 at 131 South street, but mived to the current location in 1.985.

The website says that it's open April-October (info: Oct. '08).

Favorite Dish: Good salmon fillet I had here.

• morgenhund's Profile Photo

Kinness Fry Bar: Fine Pizzas and Fish n Chips

by morgenhund Updated Apr 4, 2011

As a student I used to regularly go to the KFB - or Kinness Fry Bar to give it its full name. The fish and chips are well worth it - good batter and a good helping of chips. The pizzas are among the best in St Andrews and they have a good range of wines to take out. It is open until very late - often 1:30 am or even 2am and the food is usually ready pretty quickly.

Favorite Dish: I used to love a battered haggis in my time - hard to beat, when eaten with chips and a can of Irn Bru.

• MacGregor's: Goodies galore

by mac-me Updated Apr 4, 2011

This isn't so much a restaurant as a coffee shop but it does do light meals. There is no shortage of coffee shops in St Andrews but I like MacGregors! If you enjoy home baking then I think you will too! It isn't the cheepest coffee shop around but not the dearest either.

Favorite Dish: Cheese and mustard farls - so delicious and moist. Mmmmm!
    Or, if you prefer something sweet, the lemon sponge is delicious.

• naibaho's Profile Photo

B. Jannettas Gelateria: the ice cream of the town

by naibaho Written Apr 6, 2009

It's winter but not for Jannettas

I could not describe how important is to taste the ice cream of b. jannetta. I will let you do that and give comment about it - in the website. it is a must and it is something that you must not miss. it is very cheap too. some people say, they can double the price and people would still

ok. that's it.

wait, did i tell you it is a must? good. make sure you taste at least 3 flavours. They have 99 flavours.

Favorite Dish: Describe my favorite ice cream? Are you joking - that is a hard question, man...! A real hard one...!

• Study Abroad

• naibaho's Profile Photo

Nahm-Jim: Foodlovers, try everything they have! Yeah baby!

by naibaho Updated Apr 6, 2009

The banana fritters - yummyyyy!!

Being stranded in a city called Dundee, with no decent Japanese restaurant - I found this place as heaven.

It serves a mix of Thai and Japanese foods and they are both served fresh and tasted exactly like I expect. You might be able to find better restaurants than Nahm-Jim back in Asian countries, like mine, Indonesia, but to find one like Nahm-Jim, here in Dundee (am currently a postgraduate student in Dundee Uni), then it is a miracle.

The rice is cooked perfectly - the spices were perfect, the sushi were fresh and the desserts make you feel like you are home. I tried this banana fritters with ice cream - which was a perfection to my perfect meal.

This restaurant - is a must to visit if you are in St. Andrews or if you live in the surrounding areas.

Check out their website and you might be intriqued to try the mistery menu on winter. I was there on spring, so i missed all the fun. but definetly will go there on winter to get that mistery menu :)

Favorite Dish: The banana fritters - and all the other food.

• Study Abroad

• Westport: pub/ restaurant place

by brendanpfox Written Jul 9, 2008

Can be really quite good. Very comfortable to linger in, the bar provides pretty decent real ales as well as your luminous green teenage rubbish. restaurant is very expensive but lunch time fodder is reasonable.

Favorite Dish: soups

• MacGregor's: a gbit of everything

by brendanpfox Written Jul 9, 2008

A great place to go in order to shop for that little special something and have some quality grub. Serves Illy coffee as well... the cakes are to die for and there's an authentic Scottish cuisine from time to time, especially the soups, broths and the like. Great service upstairs, but beware, can be very popular (word of mouth does work). Those of you not in need of refreshment can loiter downstairs amomng the cards, goodies and all sorts of wonderful things. Really great wee place.

Favorite Dish: A decent coffee and carrot cake.

• the Central: good basic fodder

by brendanpfox Written Jul 9, 2008

Good basic fodder. Consistently well prepared and presented. Service is friendly and it's all reasonably priced in a great typical British pub like setting. Highly recommended!

Favorite Dish: The fish & chips was really pretty good.

• Pizza Express: fantastic authentic food

by brendanpfox Written Jul 9, 2008

This is a brilliant little place and not just for excellent pizzas. The salads are fantastic, the pasta dishes wonderful. The service is great and the ambience superb. This is now a regular haunt. About average for cost, it is simply consistently good... if you want a decent meal at a decent price - go here!

Favorite Dish: the nocoisse salad - fresh as a daisy!

• Victoria Cafe: Victoria rip off

by brendanpfox Written Jul 9, 2008

I was appalled by the standard of the food, the cost and the length of time we customers had to wait in the Victoria recently (again!). For the "special", a bowl of micro waved, liquidised frozen peas without any ham it cost £2.40, chips and a "burger" cost about £4.50 but worst of all was the "toasted sandwich". It was basically a small pre-baked baguette which had 3 slices of tomato in it and the blandest mozzarella, which had then been micro waved. Even though it hadn't been baked properly, 3 of the edges had been singed on a gas ring to make it appear "toasted". Almost as an afterthought, 4 small ripped pieces of the same water logged lettuce leaf, without a dressing, lay at the side of the plate. Along with a cola, this cost £7 ! It looked like the policy was not to serve food until the captive audience had bought a second round, and despite the fact most of it was prepared using a deep fat fryer, we had to wait 25 minutes. Our neighbouring tables were also frustrated with their experience. The poor bar maid even apologised at the end of this slow-motion, daylight robbery ordeal. What is this? With so many foreigners visiting our town, the impression these places are making is doing nothing to dispel the rumour that British food is awful. Needless to say, I won't be going back there again.

Favorite Dish: i no longer frequent this place - neither do any of my friends.

• new Balaka: Balaka rip off

by brendanpfox Written Jul 9, 2008

Boiled rice cost me £3.85 ! The sauces are extortionate and for the money, there isn't very much of them. Must admit to being entirely unsatisfied withthis place. They're central and that's about their only reason for being visited. Interestingly the "old" Balaka burned down in Dundee, and with the money this one was built... details need to be checked here, but I think I'm right. Everything about this place is far too expensive. The other restaurants do a much better deal and serve just as good food. Avoid. Unless you have money to burn and you enjoy being ripped off.

Favorite Dish: It used to be the Spring Herb Chicken, but I no longer go here.

• mtbikerdiva's Profile Photo

Balaka Bangladeshi Restaurant: Best curry I've ever had!

by mtbikerdiva Written Sep 23, 2007

Local favorite. This restaurant serves the best curry I have ever eaten - bar none. This places is fantastic! All of the food is good. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Service is great as well.

Favorite Dish: Everything on the menu is outstanding!

Instant Answers: Saint Andrews

Comments

Saint Andrews Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Saint Andrews restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint Andrews sightseeing.

View all Saint Andrews hotels