Aberdeen Restaurants

Fun Balloons
    by scottishvisitor

Most Recent Restaurants in Aberdeen

• iaint's Profile Photo

Books and Beans: Full of charm!

by iaint Written Sep 1, 2012
    not much left...

We stumbled on this place after rejecting another potential lunch spot around the corner. A combination of 2nd hand book shop, coffee shop and restaurant.

We loved the atmosphere - slightly intellectual & Bohemian, but cosy & relaxed too - and the food - nothing fancy, but fresh and well served.

Would go back anytime!

Favorite Dish: hmm... my 3 storey, jaw breaking club sandwich

• DAO's Profile Photo

YATAI: THE BEST RESTAURANT IN SCOTLAND

by DAO Updated Aug 22, 2012

YATAI

I found Scotland’s best restaurant entirely by accident. I was walking around and was invited by the fantastic smells as I walked along the street. When I went in I was greeted by the owner and head chef, John Jones. He explained that Yatai are open air food stalls in Japan where work colleagues and friends gather for food and drinks. The restaurant is small and intimate and the staff really take pride in their job. Every dish is a creation of a totally great food explosion with reasonably sized portions. The menu is large, varied and has something for everyone. Where to many trendy restaurants try the minimalist art approach; Yatai feeds you mouth watering meals. Make sure you BOOK IN ADVANCE. John did speak to me when I found his fantastic restaurant, but he was fully booked for the night! Also, if you have never tried sushi, you will forever be disappointed in other sushi restaurants in the UK. This is as good as it can get. If you are not a fan of sushi, eat here. This is more than sushi, its creative mixes of foods that taste fabulous and it’s not all raw.

Opening hours:
    Tues-Sat: 12pm - 3pm, 6pm - 11pm
    Sun-Mon: 5pm-10pm

Favorite Dish:
    I have eaten quite a few different dishes on the menu and every bite has been fantastic. Some of the dishes I really like are:
    • Hotate asupara - Scallops and asparagus with black beans
    • Gyu niku teriyaki - Rib-eye with a sweet soy and chilli
    • Unagi no kabayaki - Fresh water eel with a soy glaze and sansho pepper
    • Chef’s selection of maki and nigiri (several great dishes together)

It is essential that it all be accompanied by a cold Iki beer.

Their mouth-watering menu can be found on their website. Warning: It will make you hungry!!

• kirsty_lamb's Profile Photo

Various: Large choice of places to Eat

by kirsty_lamb Written Mar 7, 2012

A reasonable selection of restaurants from the Homemade Burger company, TGI Friday, Prezzo, Waggamamma, Yo Sushi, Chiquitos etc.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Square_Aberdeen

Favorite Dish: ...almost to much selection!

• iaint's Profile Photo

La Lombarda: à la recherche du temps perdu

by iaint Updated Oct 5, 2011

I had dinner - well, pizza - at La Lombarda in September 2011. That was my first visit since the 1970s.

The place has history. For a while I had a student flat (a real dump) around the corner in Castle Street, so La Lombarda was an occasional escape from beans on toast.

It was nice to go back. The pizza was good. So was the service and the company. The prices were bearable (by Aberdeen standards). And they kindly gave me an umbrella abandoned by a previous diner - it was pouring down outside.

Oh yes, the tip title... I was studying Proust when I lived there.

Favorite Dish: the pizza!

Rustico: fun but pricey

by iaint Written May 14, 2011

I had a great wee dinner here with friends. It is not a huge menu but it all seemed to be good, based on what I and the others had. It seemed expensive to me £17 approx for a main course, but hey - that’s Aberdeen.

It is a typical Italian, but reliable.

They have 2 big rooms upstairs, so don’t be put off if it looks busy on the ground floor.

I had caprese - bit too much, but OK. Then I had meatloaf as a main course. Something good, and different.

It worked out about £45 per head for 2 courses, including 2 bottles of wine between 4 plus a round of drinks. Yes, pricey.

Favorite Dish: Has to be the meatloaf.

• balfor's Profile Photo

Without a doubt, my favorite...

by balfor Updated Apr 4, 2011

Without a doubt, my favorite restaurant was the Frankenstein Pub. It has an amazing atmosphere and well embodies it's name! While this may sound like it is a tourist trap, I believe that we were the only non-Scots in the pub the night we were there.

The pub was opened in 1998. They are part of a brand owned by Saltire Taverns Ltd. The Aberdeen unit was the first of it's kind. The concept was invented by Billy Lowe, the owner of Saltire Taverns.
    (this note is to clear up confusion about when the pub opened. I had been under the impression it had been open for nearly 200 years, but was mis-informed)

Favorite Dish: They serve typical pub fare, so there were no major surprises on the menu, but the food was very good.

• Sharna.'s Profile Photo

Josephines: A cosy place to eat pizza.

by Sharna. Updated Dec 7, 2010

This cosy little italian restaurant has an atmosphere that changes with the customers. Its quite small but well designed. A party would fill this little restaurant and they could rock the night away. Most of the time its couples and close friends who dine here. I know becuase I was on a date when I went! The staff are friendly and effiecient. Overall a lovely place to dine.

Favorite Dish: The pizza was great, I can't really remember what it was, I was too nervous! (First date!)

They also had a very calming house white wine.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

T.G.I. FRiDAYS: A Taste of America

by scottishvisitor Updated Aug 3, 2009

The Bar

Good family restaurant with lots of American memorabilia including a great pictures of American greats from the music world, my favourite Elvis was smiling right behind me.
    If it's your Birthday the staff will parade around the restaurant singing "Happy Birthday" complete with sparklers and a cake. On my most recent visit we were here as two families, spanning four generations, to meet for the first time and celebrate with Fraser and Debbie on the birth of their Son Adam. The staff did a great job seating twenty people at one table, serving up drinks and food for all with no one waiting very long for their own lunch.

Favorite Dish: The steak platters are a good choice served up with Jack Daniel's special BBQ sauce. I love the ribs and wings tower just perfect for sharing. The desserts are huge it is a good ideaa to order one between two cuts the calories and the cost. Drinks are expensive but free refills are offered on all soft drinks.

• Kevross85's Profile Photo

Elliots Baker: Good Food

by Kevross85 Updated Feb 2, 2009

It's not a restaurant but just a shop for picking up a snack but mighty good snack can be purchased from here. It is not really your traditional baker as it doesn't sell loads of loaves or things like that but it is mainly targeted at the students on there breaks. Due to targeting the students it is advisable to get there before lunch times as the queues can get big due to this. I love this baker and used it most days while at uni and would reccomend it to everyone.

Favorite Dish: My favourite thing from here was the steak pies but these were ran very closely with the stovies

• School Holidays
    • Work Abroad

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

The Prince of Wales: Come in for a rest after shopping

by scottishvisitor Updated Dec 8, 2008

Prince of Wales

The Prince of Wales is one of the most popular bars in Aberdeen they have an extensive Bar Menu with typical pub food including good hearty homemade soup and filled rolls
    The Prince of Wales boasts the longest bar in Aberdeen and its Real Ale and food is included in Egon Rooney's good pub guide. The decor is mostly dark wood paneling and has some fine old pictures and old mirrors advertising distilleries and whisky. A popular place with shoppers especially daytrippers who come by plane and ferry - grab a table if you can find one and play spot the language. During our recent Christmas Shopping trip we were back here and Santa had arrived early and given this place a new carpet with the Prince's Feathers scattered on it. It is often said this pub is haunted but I never believed this until our most recent visit - we were talking about the old photo of a young woman when out of the blue the menu fell off the table - maybe if you visit she won't turn up!!

Favorite Dish: If you are into real ales it really is the place for you with three ales featured every week. We usually only have a filled roll and cold drink but I have had their mouthwatering fish and chips which come highly recommended.

• Architecture

Bistro Verde: very good

by iaint Updated Jun 2, 2008

view from street

I've been here twice now.

Very varied menus, with a big emphasis on fish. Choice of 2 fixed price lunch menus, usual a la carte, and daily specials.

On my 1st visit there were four of us, each having something different, and honestly I could have taken any of the things the others ordered.

Good friendly but professional service. Good atmosphere - maybe a bit noisy due to all the chatter at the tables!

Close to Union Street and railway station.

I saw it listed by a couple of VTers - another success!

Favorite Dish: Calimari starter.

I had a beef rendang (Malaysian curry) and whilst not 100% authentic (I remember those rendang burgers at Burger King in Singapore) it was excellent.

• iaint's Profile Photo

Rendezvous @ Nargile: really top rate!!

by iaint Updated Jun 2, 2008

This is a small place with a congenial atmosphere. Smart but informal.

Menu is extensive - Turkish. We only had main course and dessert, as we'd had lunch out and were having to eat dinner early (6.30pm) due to the place being fully booked later on. It was busy already when we got there, to the point where the 2 table staff were struggling a bit. However, 4 more arrived at 7, and all went well (very well actually) on the service side.

Food was superb all round! My friend is Turkish and she loved her dish (Balik Izgara - monkfish and prawns on a skewer). My son had Firinda Karides - prawns in a tomato sauce with feta cheese, and he was happy!

My dessert (Karistik Turk Tatli - typical Turkish dessert, to you & me) was great, especially the pistachio ice cream.

I was left wishing we'd had the meze with a slurp of raki...next time.

Highly recommended, but book well in advance for the weekend. £75 for 3 people - 3 main courses + 3 desserts, but no alcohol.

Favorite Dish: Biberli Kuzu - lamb marinaded in peppercorns in a spicy sauce, served with rice/pine nuts. Spicy but not too much, very tender meat. Good sized portion, but not too big.

• soul: lovely food

by moulismes Written Jan 19, 2008

soul is a bar that was once an old church on union street really nice place to go for a drink or go out for tea prices arent as dear as other plces in aberdeen and i thought the food was really lovely quite a lively place

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Station Hotel: High Tea

by SallyM Updated Aug 30, 2007

High tea is a Scottish institution, we were told. Not like English afternoon tea with dainty sandwiches and cakes, but a proper meal.

Despite this, I wasn't expecting the menu choice on offer for High Tea at the Station Hotel one Sunday afternoon: fish and chips, chicken curry, chicken Maryland, pork chops, scampi and chips. This was followed by toast and jam, and then a plate of scones and battenburg cake. The decor was also rather dated.

Possibly one of the oddest meals I have ever had, but certainly good value at £6.50 per head.

Favorite Dish: Despite the seventies time-warp menu, the fish and chips was very tasty, and my scone was warm and fresh.

• Seniors

• Stargazer1's Profile Photo

The Light of Bengal: Excellent Indian food, nice ambience

by Stargazer1 Written Aug 6, 2007

Nice cozy restaurant. It remodeled after my first visit in 1998, around 2001 or so. It may have again since my last visit, in 2004. The owner always comes by and visits every time I go in. It's my favorite Indian restaurant in Aberdeen.

Favorite Dish: King Prawn Garlic Chilli. Nice, but if you're not used to it beware, it's spicy! They have good desserts as well. I like the Pista Kulfi.

Instant Answers: Aberdeen

Comments

Aberdeen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Aberdeen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aberdeen sightseeing.