Fort Augustus Travel Guide

Fort Augustus Things to Do

• WorldRunner100's Profile Photo

by WorldRunner100 Written Jul 15, 2009

It is a small town of about 700 people, so there isn't a ton to do in the town. But its perfectly located to explore the Highlands. I posted a few photos on my travel blog with some more info on restraunts, etc:

The link is for day one, but there is some more info on day two as well. It was a pretty location. We went to the clansmen centre and did a one hour loch ness cruise. both were pretty fun, and relatively cheap. the restraunts weren't all that cheap though. neither was food in the pubs. but it is well worth a visit.

• Museum Visits
    • Castles and Palaces

• WorldRunner100's Profile Photo

by WorldRunner100 Written Jul 15, 2009

We swung by here while on a 3-day backpacking tour. It was only 4 pounds, so I think just about everyone on the tour went in. It focused on highland dress, history, etc. It was well done and the presenter clearly loved to subjects. I posted a little more info and photos on my travel blog at:

Its towards the bottom of the post.

• Archeology
    • Museum Visits

• Rusket's Profile Photo

by Rusket Updated Nov 24, 2006

On my previous visit my sons and I would go down to the canal between cloudbursts to watch the traffic through the locks. A great experience for a 10 and an 11 year old (and their Mom :-). The Caledonian Canal is a shortcut between the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea, still in use by fishing boats and quite popular amongst toursits. We met a norwegian family who had rented a boat at one end and were to deliver it on the other. VT member daarth has taken the trip with his own boat as a part of a longer trip. He has started to make a page about Fort Augustus, at least put up some pictures :-) (Time to finish it, daarth?)

This time, even after waiting patiently quite a while, we saw no traffic through the locks :-( But it was a beautiful day for a stroll along the canal, and to take a brake at one of the many, new pubs along it. We also popped into a heritage center to buy a few souvernirs, and admired the original Nessie sculpture.

Caledonian Canal Caledonian Canal Caledonian Canal Caledonian Canal Loch Ness
    • Sailing and Boating

Fort Augustus Hotels

• The Lovat, Loch Ness Hotel

Loch Ness, Fort Augustus, PH32 4DU, United Kingdom

• Mavisburn Bed & Breakfast

2 The Steadings, Auchterawe, Fort Augustus, PH32 4BT, United Kingdom

• Morags Lodge

The hostel is pretty good. Clean, good breakfast (2 GBP) and decent dinners (5 GBP). I would...

• Caledonian House

I stayed there for a few days at the end of August and found it to be comfortable and very reasnably...

• Carn A Chuilinn B&B

Satisfaction: Very Good

Fort Augustus Restaurants

• Rusket's Profile Photo

by Rusket Written Nov 23, 2006

We got a three course dinner for GBP 14 (or 15?) As guests of the hotel it was cheaper for us. We were requested to make our choices at 7 pm, serving started an hour later. We had different starters and main courses, but the same dessert. Instead of me describing the food, take a look at the pictures (sorry a couple of them are a bit blurry :-( The food tasted at least as good as it looks! And we got VERY full, the evidence is the sixth picture, which I had to put in the hotel tip, because I wanted to use all the five picture possibilities here to show the food :-)

poons and her starter, Caledonian Hotel My starter, Caledonian Hotel Poons' fish, Caledonian Hotel My meat, Caledonian Hotel Dessert, Caledonian Hotel
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Fort Augustus

Comments

Fort Augustus Travel Guide
Map of Fort Augustus