Fort Augustus Travel Guide

Fort Augustus Things to Do

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Written Sep 20, 2014

Neptune's Staircase at Fort Augustus is a series of 8 locks at the banks of Loch Ness at one end of the Caledonian Canal, and connects Loch Ness with the Atlantic Ocean. It is particularly beautiful at night as the water flowing over the locks is illuminated with green lights. The canal was constructed between 1803 and 1822 at a cost of 840,000 pounds. The canal was not a success as the depth was only 14 ft, not 20 ft as the original plans suggested, so between 1844 and 1847 the second stage of construction was undertaken and was made to the original specifications. Neptune's Staircase raises the boats 70 ft above sea level over a distance of 500 yards.
    Tourists can walk either side of the locks and watch the boats move from one lock to another while the water is emptied or filled in each section. Finally at the western end the road bridge and rail bridge are swung open to allow the boats to pass.

• WorldRunner100's Profile Photo

by WorldRunner100 Written Jul 15, 2009

It is a small town of about 700 people, so there isn't a ton to do in the town. But its perfectly located to explore the Highlands. I posted a few photos on my travel blog with some more info on restraunts, etc:

The link is for day one, but there is some more info on day two as well. It was a pretty location. We went to the clansmen centre and did a one hour loch ness cruise. both were pretty fun, and relatively cheap. the restraunts weren't all that cheap though. neither was food in the pubs. but it is well worth a visit.

• Museum Visits
    • Castles and Palaces

• WorldRunner100's Profile Photo

by WorldRunner100 Written Jul 15, 2009

We swung by here while on a 3-day backpacking tour. It was only 4 pounds, so I think just about everyone on the tour went in. It focused on highland dress, history, etc. It was well done and the presenter clearly loved to subjects. I posted a little more info and photos on my travel blog at:

Its towards the bottom of the post.

• Archeology

2 The Steadings, Auchterawe, Fort Augustus, PH32 4BT, United Kingdom

• Carn A Chuilinn B&B

Fort Augustus, PH32 4BY, United Kingdom

• Morags Lodge

The hostel is pretty good. Clean, good breakfast (2 GBP) and decent dinners (5 GBP). I would...

• Caledonian House

I stayed there for a few days at the end of August and found it to be comfortable and very reasnably...

• Auchterawe Country House

Good for: Families

Fort Augustus Restaurants

• Rusket's Profile Photo

by Rusket Written Nov 23, 2006

We got a three course dinner for GBP 14 (or 15?) As guests of the hotel it was cheaper for us. We were requested to make our choices at 7 pm, serving started an hour later. We had different starters and main courses, but the same dessert. Instead of me describing the food, take a look at the pictures (sorry a couple of them are a bit blurry :-( The food tasted at least as good as it looks! And we got VERY full, the evidence is the sixth picture, which I had to put in the hotel tip, because I wanted to use all the five picture possibilities here to show the food :-)

poons and her starter, Caledonian Hotel My starter, Caledonian Hotel Poons' fish, Caledonian Hotel My meat, Caledonian Hotel Dessert, Caledonian Hotel
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Fort Augustus

Comments

Fort Augustus Travel Guide
Map of Fort Augustus