Isle of Skye Restaurants

• Restaurants
    It was all very good
    by rexvaughan
    Wonderful sticky toffee pudding!

Most Recent Restaurants in Isle of Skye

• globetrott's Profile Photo

The Chippy in Portree: a great experience

by globetrott Updated Oct 28, 2012

Isle of Skye

The Chippy in Portree is a typical Fish & Chips like you find it in many places all over Scotland and the UK. But for me it actually was the very first real Fish&Chips in my life - I mean we have fish-restaurants in Austria of course, but not of that kind like the typical Fish & Chips in the U.K., where they wrap everything togeather in paper and you eat it somewhere in your car.
    :On my pic : Lobster-traps in Elgol with the Cuillin mountains in the background.

Favorite Dish: I had fried haddock and chips - and it was a really great experience:
    fresh,soft,hot & spicey !!
    A good portion for a hungry globetrott for a really reasonable price !!

• Beaches
    • Fishing

Saucy Mary's: The One and Only

by scottishvisitor Updated Apr 4, 2011

Saucy Mary's

While in Kyleakin we stopped at Saucy Mary's for some lunch. The atmosphere has a destinct nautical feel and is very much in keeping with the little harbour. Saucy Mary's has no competition from anyone - it is the only eatery here, so if your hungry or thirsty or just need a restroom this would be the place to stop.

Favorite Dish: We had cold meat platter with a fresh garden salad followed by some nice assorted ice cream with shortbread fingers = all very delicious

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

The Chandlery Restaurant , Bosville Hotel: Excellent Hailbut

by vichatherly Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Chandlery, Skye

Excellent relaxed, top quality restaurant. The food was delicious throughout. Well worth booking the night before.

Well recommended.

There is also choice of bar meals at the attached "Merchant Bar".

Favorite Dish: I had the Hock & Monkfish Terrin follwed by the Halibut, and finished off with a great selection of scottish cheeses. Cost of around £76 for two people, including a bottle of wine.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

TONGADALE HOTEL RESTAURANT: Outstanding dessert

by rexvaughan Written Oct 5, 2010

Wonderful sticky toffee pudding!

This restaurant is tucked back in the rear of the hotel but a nice enough room with an attractive wooden bar. What struck us immediately was the background music. It was soft enough to add to the ambience but I realized what was playing was the old Cajun classic, “Jambalaya.” If that was not odd enough, it was being played on what sounded like an Andean band. We had a chuckle and ordered: my wife a steak pie with veggies and potatoes and my a gammon steak with pineapple, chips and veggies. Hers was quite good and mine was okay but the ham was a little dry and a little short on flavor. However, the dessert, a sticky toffee sponge with custard was outstanding. Would I go back? Yes, but would order a different main course. Dessert? Sticky toffee sponge with custard which is why I would go back. Overall I thought the cost reasonable. We both had an Australian shiraz and I had coffee with dessert and the total bill was £29.30.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

CALEDONIAN CAFÉ: Small but good

by rexvaughan Updated Oct 4, 2010

This little place is right off the main square in Portree and is both an ice cream parlor and café. It is quite small, but good food and nice service. I had a delicious steak and ale pie topped with puff pastry and accompanied by a good mixture of carrots, broccoli and new potatoes. My wife had locally caught haddock with chips, peas and salad. I always like to try local beers and so had a Black Cuillin which is a stout-like dark ale brewed on Skye. My wife had a California chardonnay. For dessert we shared a Belgian toffee cake with ice cream on top. We found everything very tasty. Our total bill was £35.35. Not being sure about tipping, I asked two of the staff if service was included and they said it was not. When I asked for some guidance about the percentage they just replied that it was totally up to the customer. I left about £5.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo

SEAMUS BAR: After your climb

by mtncorg Written Sep 29, 2007

Entrance to Seamus Bar

This is the large informal eating/drinking area for the Sligachan Hotel area. There were several beers on tap - including at least one from the Cuillin Brewery which is next door - and I found the haggis, neeps and taters to be quite the filling ingredient needed after a day's excursion. There are 200 whisky selections also to choose from, just the thing needed to celebrate another munro or two in the pocket.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Beer Tasting

• mtncorg's Profile Photo

CUILLIN BREWING: It is the water!

by mtncorg Written Sep 29, 2007

Cuillin Brewery at the Sligachan

To quench your thrist while recounting your day with your friends and new acquaintances, the Isle of Skye boasts one distillery - Talisker, located about five miles west from Sligachan in Carbost - and two breweries - Skye Brewing (located in Uig, the port town in northern Skye, base for the ferry to Stornoway on Lewis in the Outer Hebrides), and the Cuillin Brewery which is set up right here at the hotel. Their selling point is the water comes directly from the Cuillin right outside their door - even if the malt ingredients, like at Skye Brewing and Talisker, come from elsewhere via truck.

I enjoyed a pint of their Ptarmigan Ale, which much like the bird, seemed rather inoffensive. A bit too bland for taste buds used to the hop bombs of the Pacific Northwest.

• Beer Tasting
    • Mountain Climbing

• ChartIt's Profile Photo

King Haakon Bar: King Haakon Bar

by ChartIt Written Jun 11, 2007

local prawn and butter

There isnt really a lot of options, actually I am not sure there really are any options in Kyleakin so you are kinda stuck unless you buy groceries before you come and cook for yourself. They do have like music on weekends, which is nice. They also have a wonderful view of the bay. Nice place for a sunset if the weather is good.

Favorite Dish: I liked the fish and chips between then the local prawn. The prawn wasnt what i expected. The fish was good as far as it can go, it wasnt greasy. *that is an accomplishment as far as I am concerned*

The Stables Restaurant: Fantastic interior

by scottishvisitor Updated Sep 30, 2006

Never mind the food = look inside

The Stables Restaurant is a beauty of a building designed by Gillespie Graham in 1822 and as the name suggests was the place for Lord MacDonald's horses and coaches. Today it houses a fine oak panelled, baronial style restaurant. The staircase is particulary beautiful

Favorite Dish: The Stables has an all day menu and home cooking is a speciality. We had venison burgers with fresh garden salad and french fries followed by the most mouthwatering rasberries smothered in thick cream encrusted with crumbled shortbread -

• Castles and Palaces

Well Plaid: If Ever A Restaurant Had an Apt Name =

by scottishvisitor Updated Sep 30, 2006

A Touch too Much

I could not resist this restaurant and just had to step inside - well with this sort of advertising, who could resist. The restaurant is part of the Royal Hotel in Portree. The hotel has a fancier restaurant, but this one is definately designed for tourists.

Favorite Dish: We only had a brief stop here to see if the tartan theme continued inside - it did but not over the top. A quick cup of coffee with some homebakes hits the spot here.

Cafe Arriba: Trendy Cafe in Portree

by kit_mc Updated Sep 4, 2006

Cafe Arriba, Portree

In Skye's largest town of Portree / Port Righ, there's a nice little surprise in the way of this cafe that looks like a fairly new addition to town. Up a steep set of stairs, you'll find a bustling cafe with some absolutely great views across the bay and some decent food at equally decent prices.

Find a seat nearest the window if you can - this place gets pretty busy around lunchtime - and sit a while, gazing out to the bay or writing your postcards home.

There's also a rather trendy, if rather expensive, gift shop next door.

Favorite Dish: Most of the restaurants in Portree offer fairly bland menus at inflated prices, but relatively speaking Arriba is a find. Nice decor making it a little less like a canteen. The lunches are good solid, for example macaroni, either with bacon or vegetarian and a VERY hot chilli, priced between 4 to 5 pounds. Good coffee and polite service too.

This is a very good bet if you're vegetarian or vegan as you're more than likely to find an option here.

However... Approximately 12 hours after eating here, both me and my eating partner woke up at 3am and promptly had a conversation with the great white telephone. So while the food tasted good enough, it looks like this place gave us both food poisoning as we hadn't eaten anything else that day. Not good. If it hadn't been for this though, I would have given it a 'Satisfied' rating.

• kit_mc's Profile Photo

Bosville Hotel restaurant: So many waiters...

by kit_mc Written Sep 1, 2006

Bosville Hotel restaurant

Rather than wander around for ages we dropped in here, one of the first restaurants that we'd looked at properly, for an evening meal. Within an hour of us getting there, the place was packed with tourists.

I was fairly amused by the fact that all the waiting staff were Eastern European, given that Skye is a fairly isolated place, it wouldn't be first on my list of places to work if I was arriving from Poland frankly.

While there were more than enough waiters and the service was good, the food came out erratically and I suspect that the kitchen was under a bit of pressure, taking so many orders in too short a time.

Favorite Dish: I had a steak with a wine and brandy sauce. The meat was ok, not great and it also came with a slice of haggis, which I could have lived without. Other decent options were the daily roast and the fish of the day. Prices were a little high I felt, at between 10 and 16 pounds for a main dish. Not really the most exciting menu, and the surroundings were a little too cafeteria given the prices. Table cloths would be a good addition.

Btw, you'll get very used to eating everything with fries/chips in the Western Isles... Oh, and make sure you've decided on where to eat in Skye by 9pm as most places seem to close around then, which I found rather tiresome as that was generally around the time I was getting hungry!!

There is a classier, and I suspect, more expensive section of the restaurant towards the far end of the hotel that I believe has won awards. Table cloths included there!

Harry's Cafe: Breakfast in Kyleakin

by kit_mc Updated Sep 1, 2006

Harry's Cafe

This is a little like having breakfast in a B&B. We were served by the same woman who also works evenings in the tacky gift shop a few doors down - a very pleasant Englishwoman rather than a native. This was one of the better breakfasts, not necessarily any cheaper than others in the Hebrides, though certainly one of the better value of the few options in Kyleakin.

And while we were in there in popped a British actor who plays a detective in a dark murder mystery series on TV in the UK. So you never know when you might be rubbing shoulders with celebs, even out in the sticks!

Favorite Dish: All day breakfast at 5 pounds, tea or coffee included. And you get a refill of coffee free.

• YorkieLass's Profile Photo

The Waverley Restaurant, Kyle of Lochalsh: Rave about the Waverley!

by YorkieLass Written Dec 15, 2005

The Waverley Restaurant is located just across the Skye Bridge in Kyle (mainland) and provides gorgeous food at an increditbly good price considering it is fresh, locally sourced food, literally cooked infront of you (through a little serving hatch to be precise!), by the owner/chef. There are several vegetarian options and a variety of seafood, as well as the game, vension, haggis and Scottish beef/lamb that you would obviuosly expect from a good quality Scottish restaurant! The ambience is just perfect - a cosy and welcoming environment, with perfect waiting service. You should definitely book a table, especially during the summer months, when it is literally fully booked every night. Always keep in mind when visiting Skye & Lochalsh, that most places to stay are B&Bs, so the restaurants always book up quickly. From our personal experience, the Waverley is one of the first to get booked up on a regular basis - which simply demonstrates its popularity and excellent reputation locally!

Favorite Dish: There are too many lovely dishes to pick just one out, but I did thoroughly enjoy the Chicken Satay and Tenderloin of Pork in a lightly curried sauce. We've had many people tell us that her Haggis dish is spot on too, although I'm afraid I'm not a Haggis fan myself! I know - sacrilege! My better half says the steaks are second to none - high praise indeed! I've not heard one negative comment about the quality of the meals there and we've lived here for 3 years now!

• RandomDreamer's Profile Photo

The Three Chimneys Restaurant

by RandomDreamer Written Nov 18, 2005

Although I never went to this restaurant I have to mention it as it is famous as one of the best restaurants in Britain and although not cheap, it's not rediculously expensive either.

Opened in 1999, this restaurant and 5* hotel is located in the far north of the island in "Little England"... so called because of the vast numbers of English settlers there.

The restaurant's website often posts out recipies of their favourite dishes.

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Isle of Skye

Comments

Isle of Skye Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Isle of Skye restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isle of Skye sightseeing.