Ullapool Favorites

• Tourism Office (Ullapool, Scotland, U.K.)
    Tourism Office (Ullapool, Scotland,...
    by Redang

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Ullapool

by micas_pt Updated Sep 18, 2011

Shore Street

Favorite thing: Basically, Ullapool consists of some streets and the port.

It's a small village, and I've read that with its 1.400 inhabitants it's northwest's main centre of population. I'm sure this number rises during summer months, because when we visited, even though it was terrible weather, there were a lot of visitors around. Also, many hikers base their stay here as neighboring mountains and coastline provided nice walks and hikes. Furthermore, Ullapool is the starting point to wildlife cruises and ferries to Summer Isles and Isle of Lewis.

While in the village, we walked around its streets and admired the port. I love watching port movement, mainly ports of this type: fishing ports. I love to watch and photograph the colorful fishing boats, the seagulls flying crazy because of the fish (in the case fighting the wind), the decayed sea beaten paint, the cords and ropes, the fishermen, … I could spend days at a port. The day we visited Ullapool, we made a very very brief visit to the port, and photos are lousy: frozen hands didn't allow much habillity with the camera. :)

The street by the shore it's Shore Street and it houses some restaurants and souvenir shops. After a walk in the cold, rain and wind, we agreed it was time to lunch and choose a nice restaurant, … unfortunately I didn't write its name, but it serves pizzas, feels like an Italian restaurant … I choose a salad cooked with smoked salmon and patatoes, and it was a delicious warm salad, comforting and filling. The smoked salmon it's probably one of the best I'd ever had. My husband went to a cold salad and my son, obviously, delighted himself with a pizza and a freshly made orange juice to prevent colds.

The "other" main street it's parallel to Shore Street and it's named Argyle Street. There you'l find the tourism office and the museum, which we didn't visit. I enjoyed the clock on the street, which is on my third photo of this review but I didn't manage to find further info about it.

Even though we didn't make the most in Ullapool, I loved being there, and I am sure when I return to Highlands I'll visit again or even base my stay here.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

A hard place sprinkled with icing sugar

by scottishvisitor Updated Apr 6, 2008

Favorite thing: Ullapool is in Wester Ross which is also part of Highland Region and carries an Inverness post code. Here the connection stops - this is the wild highlands with lonely moorland sprinkled with the odd white cottage. Ringed by mountains and hills made from solid rock. A hard place, a walkers paradise, a place of breathtaking beauty constantlly changing but remaining how it always was. No mass tourism just like minded people who love the great outdoors.

Fondest memory: Every time we took a stop around each bend in the road another rough and beautiful vista met our eyes. Yes definately not a walk in the park but the dusting of snow softened the mountains and landscapes - pure rugged beauty dusted with icing sugar.

• Travel with Pets
    • Hiking and Walking

• Bushman23's Profile Photo

Internet Access

by Bushman23 Written May 25, 2005

Favorite thing: If you are visiting Ullapool, or coming to work here for the season, there are various places where you can get internet access. The first is obviously the youth hostels. Both hostels in town have internet access, at reasonable rates, available at certain times of the day to non-residents as well.

Fondest memory: But for fast, free access, try the Ullapool library. Its situated in the school, and after a simple, 5 minute sign up procedure, you can access the net for half an hour a day, 5 days a week. Totally free. Its on the North road, the big building on the right...

• F.Lade's Profile Photo

Charming Ullapool

by F.Lade Written Feb 25, 2003

Ullapool

Favorite thing: So if you ever travel the North West coast of Scotland , consider Ullapool . The town is small but very charming . Book in to a hotel , spend some time in the local pub and enjoy the relaxed athmosphere.

• Redang's Profile Photo

General Info

by Redang Written Nov 8, 2008

Tourism Office (Ullapool, Scotland, U.K.)

Favorite thing: * Tourism Office
    7, Argyle street
    - Tel.: (+44) 612 35
    - Fax: (+44) 613 031

- Internet:
    www.ullapool.com
    www.ullapool.co.uk

Instant Answers: Ullapool

Comments

Ullapool Favorites

Reviews and photos of Ullapool favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ullapool sightseeing.