Watch out when driving...
It can be very sparsely populated in the Highlands, and you may drive for a very long time without seeing any villages or gas stations. There are lots of animals, however, and they may stop you on the road, taking their time to cross over to the other side. Also, the roads may narrow without much warning, and sometimes there is no guardrail between your car and who-knows-how-many-feet drop into a river of unknown depth. Just be careful when driving. Most of the time, it's easy enough, but once in a while, there will be a hairpin turn or some other danger.
These are small trifles, though, easy enough to bear if one wants to see this country. It's absolutely beautiful!Related to:
- Road Trip
Road Dangers - Highlands of Scotland
It can be exhausting driving these narrow roads for hundreds of kilometers / miles.
1) Remember in Britain you drive on the left hand side. Especially when you have just left a single track road and return to a 'normal' carriageway (with white line seperating traffic). You will see "reminder" arrows painted on the carriageway, after junctions, petrol stations etc - these were painted after the accidents, not because the government had some spare cash - so, keep on the left!
2) Allow a lot of time to travel these roads because of meeting oncoming vehicles (see "Passing Places" tip) and because of motion sickness.
3) Look well ahead for signs of other vehicles (there is a car far ahead in this picture, you can just make out its break lights - not the white roadsign). This'll save you having to reverse, if not save a head on crash!
4) Look out for animals!!!!! Especially sheep, which will not move and will appear quite indifferent to a fast approaching metal car. Many die each year for this foolish "bravery". Also many rabbits and birds. It can be quite unpleasant killing all these - so drive slowely.
5) In autumn and spring, and all winter, be very prepared for deer to run out into the road, especially at night. Hit these and you are in trouble (hospital).
6) Watch out for cyclists round every corner (they are few so you forget about them, then suddenly, bang!).
7) The driver cannot look at the scenery while moving since just a few inches / centimeters off the road will likely be a deep ditch or hillside. Be particularly careful when approaching a "blind summit" or rise in the road, snce the road over this "hill" most likey has changed direction wit h no warning!!!
8) These routes are also popular with motorbikes and these mostly cannot pass like a bike, so be very aware of them andd show the same space and courtesy as for a car.
Now enjoy!!!Related to:
- Road Trip
The local communities have a...
The local communities have a very good way of lulling you into a false sense of security. Before you know it you’ll fined yourself at ease with the locals full of whisky and having a really good time and what’s more you’ll have hardly have spent any money doing it. So be warned if your idea of a good break is food poisoning, being ripped off and a sense that you’re about to be stabbed in the back…Then don’t come here as we’re all to far hospitable
Driving on the left lane
Here you should drive on the left lane (sounds weird unless you live in a country with the same driving habbits).
Be carefull on the roundabouts.
For our wedding in July 2009, my father booked 1 week's stay at the Rocpool Reserve and absolutely...more
Upper Milovaig, Glendale, IV55 8WY, United Kingdom
Good for: Couples
Me and my boyfriend stayed in the Highland Hotel, which has recently as been bought by the Lochs and...more
Top Highland Hotels
- Inverness Hotels
- 342 Reviews - 773 Photos
- Fort William Hotels
- 211 Reviews - 382 Photos
- Isle of Skye Hotels
- 455 Reviews - 935 Photos
- Aviemore Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 78 Photos
- Ullapool Hotels
- 81 Reviews - 286 Photos
- Gairloch Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 35 Photos
- Portree Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Strathpeffer Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Kingussie Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Rum Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 10 Photos
Explore the World
- Redwood City Hotels
- Paris Mountain State Park Hotels
- Malabar Farm State Park Hotels
- Twin Falls
- Marinduque Hotels
- Manaus Warnings and Dangers
- Pamukkale Warnings and Dangers
- Kharkiv Warnings and Dangers
- Ocean City Warnings and Dangers
- Gatlinburg Warnings and Dangers
- Hungary Warnings and Dangers
- Girraween National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Baguio City Warnings and Dangers
- Naxos Island Warnings and Dangers
- Malmö Warnings and Dangers
- La Paz Warnings and Dangers