General Views, Edinburgh

Know about this? Rate It!

A Bank built on a Mound
    by scottishvisitor
    Bank Created by an Act of Parliament
    by scottishvisitor
    Edinburgh Castle
    by EdinburghRoc
  • Kurt_S.'s Profile Photo

My friends thought I was crazy...

by Kurt_S. Updated Apr 15, 2009

Favorite thing: My friends thought I was crazy when I told them that I planned to visit Scotland in spring. They said all I would see would be rain, rain, rain... Well, the next pictures will prove the opposite. I went to Scotland via ferry from Rotterdam and was rewarded with the first breathtaking sunset over the Channel. And later after I had arrived, I started touring around Scotland for two weeks. Probably the best time I had this year. I love Scotland. It offers everything from cultural events and highlights to purest countryside and busy towns to lonely landscape. I went north and then west along the coast to the North and the Northern 'highway' west and down the East-coast to the Isle of Skye and via Pitlochry in Central Scotland back to the ferry-harbour Kingston-upon-Hull. Take a look at some of the pictures. Then you will certainly understand why I love Scotland so much. Well, and don't forget the friendly Scots(wo)men!!!

Fondest memory: Edinburgh Castle with the Whisky Heritage Center and the small shops and alleys in the city-centre.

• clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Walking Tours

by clivedinburgh Updated Oct 18, 2006

Favorite thing: The ClickToWalk website allows you to virtually wander the streets of Edinburgh and has links to nearby attractions. Great if you wish to get your bearings in the city from the comfort of your PC.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Many Many Years of History

by scottishvisitor Written May 6, 2006

Bank Created by an Act of Parliament

Favorite thing: Edinburgh is a great city to step back in time. I loved the connections of historic places and the cities great landmarks all huddled so close together. The building in the picture is The Bank of Scotland set high up on The Mound which connects the old and the new town. The bank is the head offices of the Bank of Scotland and has been overlooking Princes Street since 1801. Long before the head office was built The Bank of Scotland was created by a Scottish Act of Parliament in 1695.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Architecture

by HORSCHECK Written Nov 21, 2004

Architecture of the  Royal Mile

Favorite thing: Edinburgh is Scotland's second largest city and offers many architectural interesting buildings. Most of them are within walking distance of the city centre. The Royal Mile in the Old Town if full with historic buildings like the Gothic style St Giles Cathedral, the Neo-Classical City Chambers or the medieval Castle.

• Trains

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Hanging around

by Gili_S Written Apr 5, 2004

Favorite thing: This city and its people are so lovely that I extended my stay here longer then plan, I was enjoying very much hanging around here, I took long walk around the city also to unknown neighbourhoods that unfortunately I do not know their name or where was it.

• First Impressions Last

by Eric1977 Updated Jan 22, 2004

Favorite thing: I have lived in Scotland for many years and I have yet to be unimpressed by this wonderful city. I will never forget getting off the train at waverley station and walking along Princes Street. Blow me down with a feather if this isn't one of the prettiest capitals on Earth. If Edinburgh has a failing it may lie within a certain section of its residents. You know the ones I am talking about, public school etc. However I always look forward to going back, magic place all round. If I have one general tip take a train ride to Inverkeithing in order to see one of the most impressive man made structures in the British Isles, the Forth Rail Bridge.

Fondest memory: New years eve 1998/9. First time at hogmanay is always the best.

• don_kam's Profile Photo

Spend more time in Edinburgh

by don_kam Updated May 30, 2003
    Zzzzzz...........

Favorite thing: I find that most people do not allocate enough time to Edinburgh. Either because of its proximity to London (most will rather spend more days in London) or the fact that the city itself is small in size.

But I will really really recommend spending more time here. The air is fresh, the people are friendly and most importantly, the view is great!!

Fondest memory: It is rather different from most of the European cities I have been to.

Feels rather cosy and peaceful, which is amazing considering its the capital of Scotland. (definatelty not London-like)

• Packerman's Profile Photo

Royal City

by Packerman Updated Jan 3, 2003

Burns Monument

Favorite thing: I was impressed with the variety Edinburgh gives you in a relatively small area of land. There is the New Town with Princes Street, the Princes street gardens, Charlotte Square, Rose street, and the Scott Monument. There is Calton Hill which is dotted with Greek-style monuments and gives great views of the city and landscape. There is the Old Town with the Royal Mile, the Royal Museum of Scotland, George IV bridge, and Greyfriars' Kirk.

Fondest memory: I love that Scottish accent!!!

• antz's Profile Photo

antz's General Tip

by antz Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: A really great time to go to Edinburgh is at New Year (Hogmanay). Party goers flock to the city centre where a huge party is laid on. Although I have never actually been to any of the street party's, I have heard much about them from friends who live in Edinburgh. Last Hogmanay I was in Edinburgh although I couldn't get tickets for the main party. The next day was great because there was a huge ferris wheel and a fairground with stalls on Princes St so that made for a great day to walk off a hangover!

• a.g.roberts's Profile Photo

a.g.roberts's General Tip

by a.g.roberts Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: Rain, and lots of it! We had really stormy weather the whole time we were in Edinburgh. It didn't just rain either, the wind was something else. It made for a really cold visit up to Edinburgh Castle as you can see from this ominous photo taken from the castle wall. The wonderful thing about that kind of weather is that when you go inside and sit in a warm room with a hot cup of tea you would swear you've never been more comfortable in your whole life!

• bluefelt's Profile Photo

Notice the constantly changing...

by bluefelt Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Notice the constantly changing skies. There is no single good moment to take a picture, 20 seconds later it's even more beautiful than before. I just did a painting of this. It's located on the Fullerton, CA page.

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Edinburgh, said the writer...

by gabriellefox Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Edinburgh, said the writer Robert Louis Stevenson, is what Paris ought to be.

Its magnificent architecture shifts from the lofty buildings of its medieval Old Town, as they tumble down the spine of the Royal Mile, to the grace of the Georgian New Town. Above it all, in its towering splendour, stands the Castle.

Fondest memory: Every step is a revelation - an alleyway which reveals an ancient courtyard, or a wynd which opens up a new panorama. And yet within this sweeping elegance is a compact city, a bustling city, above all a city which rewards every visitor.

• Anya_D's Profile Photo

Edinburgh is the capital of...

by Anya_D Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland, and it is important you see it. It is comparatively small: only about 500,000 people live there. The center of the city is gorgeous. You must see Edinburgh Castle, Camera Obscura is also a place of interest, Prince's Gardens are beautiful, Holyrood castle (the royal residence), and other many beautiful sites, which I did not managed to see because of the time limits.

Fondest memory: But my fondest memory of Scotland is the Highlands. I booked two one day tours with Timberbush Tours. They can be easily found in the buiding of the Old Edinburgh Weaving Mill (another interesting place in Edinburgh, the tartan mill and shop, but be prepared to leave all you money there!), right at the entrance to the Castle. You can find more about their tours at www.timberbush-tours.co.uk

The driver-guides are very knowledgible and friendly. The bus is for 20 people. I went to Loch Ness tour (~12 hours) and Oban&Castles (~ 10 hours).

• ombre's Profile Photo

WHEn your in edinburgh The...

by ombre Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: WHEn your in edinburgh The only thing I can think you may not like is the weather.
    I must say though it was still great as normally in jan I sit on the beach not wrapt up in heaps of winter gear so It was nice change and minus six is now the coldest day in my life and edinburgh holds claim to that.

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

What? Where? How? Can I?

by EdinburghRoc Written Mar 11, 2006

Edinburgh Castle

Favorite thing: http://www.edinburghcastle.biz/pictures.html

Copy and paste the above link to everything you need to know about Edinburgh.
    Photos: Links; Hotels, Tours, Information.

Fondest memory: Edinburgh's Buses.

• Business Travel