Clever Dicks, Edinburgh

4.5 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

119, High St, EH1 1SG 0131 556 3095

Clever Dick's - Inside (2005)
    by Kaspian
    Clever Dick's - Haggis (2005)
    Clever Dick's (2005)
  • Kaspian's Profile Photo

WHISKI Bar & Restaurant (Formerly "Clever Dicks"): WHISKI

by Kaspian Updated Aug 29, 2007

Clever Dick's (2005)

We popped into this place, chosen at random, for a quick pint on our first night in Edinburgh. I am so happy we did! WHISKI (formerly called "Clever Dick's") cozy atmosphere envelops you within an instant; the busy day dissipates, and you are left in a happy dreamlike state where time seems to have no meaning at all. The lighting inside is dim and so beautifully warm against the dark woods that it takes awhile to get used to the light before you can notice all the little Scottish knickknacks they have mounted on the walls and shelves.
    After the second of what may have been two of the most comfortable pints of beer in my life, I noticed the food others were eating. And damn, did it look good! Especially a dish they were serving of what I thought was meatloaf. I had another pint and we vowed to return for supper tomorrow.
    The next evening I decided to finally bite the bullet and try the national dish of Scotland; I ordered the haggis. When the haggis came I was completely shocked that it was the "meatloaf" dish I'd been so coveting the night before. And that's exactly what it tasted like, fantastic meatloaf with some oats in it (served with mashed turnip and potato) . So people at this place do order the haggis, and not just as a novelty item. The amount of food was a very good deal for the money, and nothing on the menu or at the bar was overpriced.
    The bartenders and waiters here are super-friendly and very quick. Although the tables were almost all full both nights, there was never a wait for a drink at the bar. This is a great pub and restaurant.
    Bonus Tip: Be sure to check out the "McCondom" machines in the bathrooms. "Scotch flavoured"?

Favorite Dish: The "Award Winning Haggis, Neeps, &Tatties" and the "Homemade Steak & Ale Pie" were both delicious and filling. And they know how to pour a fine pint!

• Beer Tasting

• juzz's Profile Photo

Clever Dicks: Typical and cheap Scottish food

by juzz Updated Nov 29, 2005

It is a quite small place but very nice and friendly, you're better book. You can choose between many typical dishes and of course scottish beers. If you're italian and you're
    looking for a pub where you can also eat something like we're used in Italy, this is the closest thing we found in Edinburgh. Usually pubs don't have much to eat and we often had to go to McDonald's or Burger king by night.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed soups very much, the usually have soup at the beginning of the meal. My favourite is Skink soup.

• Duffelgirl's Profile Photo

Clever Dicks: BAGGY TROUSERS NEEDED (for the extra pounds!!)

by Duffelgirl Updated Sep 28, 2003

The much spoke of Haggis!

It may have been the cold air, the good food or plain gluttony, but when in Edinburgh we spent 75% of our time in various cafes and restaurants. Too many to mention.
    Definitley visit a small, local cafe if you can, to try out a hearty Scottish breakfast.
    One of the nicest places we ate in was 'Clever Dicks' where the staff were welcoming and enthusiastic, the food was good and Greg tried his first proper haggis meal.

• jgemini65's Profile Photo

We ran into a pub called...

by jgemini65 Updated Aug 25, 2002

We ran into a pub called 'Clever Dicks.' It was right across the street from the Crown Plaza Hotel...about half way between Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace! It was a great buy for the money...not to mention...one of the best meals we had in the U.K. great soup!!!

Instant Answers: Edinburgh