Deacon Brodie's Tavern, Edinburgh

3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars - 11 Reviews

Restaurant,upstairs
    Haddock and chips
    by mickeyboy07
    Haggis with neeps and tatties
  • mickeyboy07's Profile Photo

Deacon Brodie's Tavern: Haggis time

by mickeyboy07 Updated Nov 10, 2012

Outside

Located on the Royal Mile just a few minutes from Castle Hill this fine looking pub/restaurant is the one of the best places to eat if your looking for great food at a reasonable price with relaxed friendly surroundings and great decor.A good varied menu from local dishes to international and a fine selection of ales and wines.Snack and have a drink downstairs or have a meal in the restaurant upstairs.The pub is a 'Nicholsons' pub which can be found all over the U.K.
    Open monday to sunday:10.00-01.00

Favorite Dish: When in Rome as the saying goes.So i had to try the Haggis which came with 'Neets and Tatties',Sweed and Mash Potatoes to you and me,jmy partner had the traditional Haddock and chips,both meals were very good and good value for money.

• Deacon Brodie's Tavern: the ashes

by grahammacken Updated Apr 4, 2011

worked in the deac for a year best pint of stout in scotland!!! foods not bad either! ye all talk about how The Deac inspired robert louis but what ye dont know is that above the bar behind all the brass jugs there's the remains of an american in a box dating back a fair few years now with a note that says "please look after my dear old dad until such a time as i return to have him interred, keep him out of mischief and well supplied with uisce beatha!! just ask one of the staff they'l show ya if they know about it!! we believe that might be the cause of all the flying objects weird shadows sounds and knocking!!! best pub ever!!

Favorite Dish: STEAK PIE, STEAK PIE, STEAK PIE!!!!!

• Study Abroad
    • Beer Tasting

• Deacon Brodies: Awful treatment by staff!

by gillianmckee Written Mar 3, 2011

Horrible treatment from 'Manageress'
    We went into this pub and asked the lady behind the bar what beers she had- she listed off a very impressive amount of beers so unknowingly we said 'but what about on draft?' and she said 'THAT IS DRAFT' in the rudest tone. So we ordered a Stella and she gave it to my husband. I then asked if she had red wine and she said yes I asked whether they were small bottles or big ones and found out that they had large ones only so being a very frequent wine drinker i asked if they had been opened long as wine tends to go off if it is left open for a day or so, She said 'WINE DOES NOT GO OFF AND HOW WOULD I KNOW HOW OLD THEY ARE SINCE I JUST GOT HERE AN HOUR AGO!' I said well can I try one - She said NO! WE DONT DO SAMPLES' I asked if I bought some wine and it had turned could i get it changed and she said NO! So I just said ok I will take a glass of Rioja thanks. SHE THEN PROCEEDED TO SNAP THE GLASS OF BEER OFF MY HUSBAND AND TELL US THAT WE HAD A PROBLEM AND THAT WE NEEDED TO LEAVE! I COULDNT BELIEVE IT. SHE CAME AROUND THE BAR AND STARTED TO PUSH MY HUSBAND OUT OF THE PUB - PHYSICALLY - HE WAS NOT HAPPY THAT SHE WAS TOUCHING HIM SO HE SAID SO - SHE PUSHED US TOWARDS THE DOOR AND TOLD US TO GET OUT. We asked to speak to the manager and she said she was the manager(not sure if I believe that) She would not tell us her name either!! I have never been so disprepected in my life. We had come to Edinburgh for the Rugby International between Scotland and Ireland and had been having a great time exploring Edinburgh. This totally put a dampner on our holiday and I am going to write to the company personally. I would NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE !

• NYTim's Profile Photo

Deacon Brodie's Tavern: Great beer

by NYTim Written Jan 4, 2008

The outside

This traditional style pub on the Royal Mile is named after William Brodie who was, by day, a respectable, wealthy town council member and Deacon of the CabinetMakers Guild. By night his social life was one long round of gambling and drinking in the tavern. In 1786 he began to commit robberies to pay for his gambling debts. He would make wax key impressions whilst working in the homes of wealthy citizens and then return at night to burgle them. He was eventually caught when one of his assistants gave Kings evidence in order to try and get himself a lesser sentence. William Brodie was sentenced to hang on October 1st 1788, strangely enough, on the gallows he designed and built himself. In the bar pub food is available whilst upstairs there is a restaurant that serves food until 10p.m. and can cater for up to 90 people. We had our first lunch in Scotland in this place and we loved it. In Scotland teenagers can drink with a meal at 16 years old. My son Andrew had his first legal drink in here.

Favorite Dish: We had the steak pie and chips. Great quailty washed down with pints of Tennant's lager

• Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

• redheadedtribefan's Profile Photo

Deacon Brodie's Tavern: Check out the plaid carpeting!!!

by redheadedtribefan Updated Jul 13, 2006

Excellent place to soak up the culture and meet the locals, especially during a rugby match!

The haggis is decent ... but the plaid carpeting is PRICELESS!!!

Favorite Dish: Haggis was served on a hoagie bun with loads of shreaded cheese ... was a good way to be introduced to haggis, which is quite lovely and not nearly as disgusting as everyone thinks!

• johnandlynclarke's Profile Photo

Deacon Brodie's Tavern: Haggis anyone?

by johnandlynclarke Written Jun 17, 2006

the Deacon Brodie story

We enjoyed Deacon Brodies Pub. The food was good although eveyone else was horrified when i ordered Haggis. I was raised in New England and it reminded me of something I ate as a kid, but I do not know what. I liked it. Actually, it is harder than one would think to find the old traditional foods.

The story of Deacon Brodie is interesting and the wooden painted ceiling is a knockout! And lastly, Americans love tshirts with places written on them. It doesn't seem like Europeans do this as much. Deacon Brodie's has polo shirts with their logo for sale.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Deacon Brodie's Tavern: Have a pint & a slice of history

by scottishvisitor Written May 14, 2006

This is not Deacon Brodie

Deacon Brodies Tavern is a popular place to stop and have a drink probably because of its location in the heart of the Old Town. Meals are served upstairs. Check out the history of Deacon Brodie who was hanged at St. Gilles by the very gallows he designed. Sir Robert Louis Stevenson classic "Doctor Jekell & Mr. Hyde was based on this very man who led a double life.

Favorite Dish: The menu is quite extensive but it is all just pub food. We had the fish & chips which were good for a quick bite

• Castles and Palaces

• tashka's Profile Photo

Deacon Brodie's Tavern: Dine in the famous Edinburgh tavern

by tashka Written Dec 21, 2003

Deacon Brodie's Tavern, Edinburgh

Deacon Brodie's Tavern was established in 1806 and named after a Deacon who was a bank robber by night. He became a legend for the double-life he lead, and he is believed to be the inspiration for the Robert Louis Stevenson novel Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde.

There are two floors in the Tavern. If you want just to drink beer - stay on the ground floor. The first floor is for eating.
    I liked the atmosphere, very amicable.

The ground floor is packed full on Friday nights, sometimes it's impossible to enter, because people are standing in the doorway already!

Favorite Dish: Haggis :-))

• Beer Tasting

• Deacon Brodie's Tavern: If you want a real fish and chips, this is it!

by James&Barbara Written Sep 19, 2003

We visited Edinburgh during the big snows & freezing weather during winter holidays in 2002-2003, and just happened upon Deacon Brodie's. It's plenty big, has many cozy niches for all size groups, friendly service, a party atmosphere, and best of all, the food is hearty and scrumptious! We ate there three times, and the fish and chips was so great, that's all we wanted to eat! The draught ales are perfect, as well. It's in the middle of a lot of things, including a fantastic music store a couple of blocks away (just ask them and they'll point it out), as well as numerous scholarly books shops.

Favorite Dish: The fish and chips rules! We're going back to Edinburgh again this Christmas, and expect to have a few more plates of this delectable food, along with some locally brewed John Barleycorn. It was altogether a warm and memorable experience.

• Packerman's Profile Photo

Deacon Brodie's Tavern: Very colorful exterior

by Packerman Written Jan 3, 2003

Deacon Brodie's Tavern

Actually with two small children I didn't venture inside to have a meal, but I can tell you something interesting about this place. The pub is named after Deacon William Brodie whose double life inspired the book "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" because Brodie was a respected town councillor by day and led a gang of burglars by night.

• Anya_D's Profile Photo

While in Edinburgh, I had...

by Anya_D Written Aug 25, 2002

While in Edinburgh, I had breakfast in the hotel, dinner in Deacon Brodies Tavern on the High Street in Edinburgh, and lunch in Fort William (I forgot the name of the dinery, but it was some place for tourists), and once in Oban, in the Oban Inn, next to Columbia Hotel.

Favorite Dish: When in Oban, make sure you try fresh sea food, sold in a kiosk at the left side of the haven, opposite Columbia Hotel and Oban Inn. I tried smoked salmon and prawns sandwiches. It was delicious!

I tried several local drinks: draught beer (analogue of dark beer, with no bubbles), langer (something like light beer) and cyder. The latter has too much gas in it (which is bad, imho) and smells apples (which is good). Most of all I liked langer: simply because I prefer light beer.

Instant Answers: Edinburgh

Comments

Hotels Near Deacon Brodie's Tavern
4.5 out of 5 stars