The Standing Order, Edinburgh

George Street

• xoxoxenophile's Profile Photo

The Standing Order: Wonderful classic pub!

by xoxoxenophile Written Jul 7, 2013

The bar at the Standing Order

The food was very good here, and the atmosphere was exactly what we wanted, visiting a pub in Scotland. It seems like the sort of place where gentlemen used to meet to go over important things in the past. The decor was very elegant, as you can see from the pictures, and they carried many types of beers and alcoholic beverages. Everyone in our group ate there at least twice, and we all enjoyed our food immensely. I tried haggis here as well--I didn't like it, but I suppose that was just because it was haggis and not because of the restaurant. This restaurant is only a block or two off of Princes Street, and so very accessible, and they have a very affordable lunch special for sandwiches.

Favorite Dish: The sandwich I ate twice here was the Wiltshire cured ham and cheese panini with chips. It was very delicious and filling, and the warm sandwich was very nice after a chilly day in Edinburgh.

• hevbell's Profile Photo

THE STANDING ORDER: THE STANDING ORDER

by hevbell Updated Feb 17, 2004

Very wide ranging menu with something for everyone and very reasonably priced. Huge, airy building but with different sections including no smoking areas. Very cheap drink. No music but a good atmosphere and varied crowd. Dress casual or smart. Part of the JD Wetherspoons chain,

Favorite Dish: Loaded skins or bacon cheese burger and I have it on good authority that the Chicken Tikka Masala is good too :) Although my new favourite on the Wetherspoons menus is the Five Bean Chilli

• kehale's Profile Photo

The Standing Order: Great Prices!

by kehale Written Sep 22, 2013

We ended up here for breakfast (and dinner) during our one day trip into Edinburgh, as a recommendation from the concierge at The Balmoral Hotel. He let us know it was great food and their prices were incredible reasonable. We were so pleased with the portion sizes and prices (as well as the fact that they had the calorie count on the menu which helped me to reconsider what I was ordering), that we decided to go back for dinner. My original option was no available for dinner, but I was happy I went with their Mac n Cheese which was delicious. My husband was really happy with the variety of international beers that he sampled over dinner! Overall - really happy and would recommend it to anyone travelling on a budget!

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Edinburgh

Comments

Hotels Near The Standing Order
4.0 out of 5 stars