The Witchery By The Castle, Edinburgh

4.5 out of 5 stars 15 Reviews

Castlehill, The Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 2NF +00 44 (0)131 225 5613

Honest, I'm no witch...
    by selbya
    Not ususally so camera shy!
    by Paisleypaul
    Enter here for Secret Garden
    by Paisleypaul
  • maclean's Profile Photo

The Witchery By The Castle: Theatrically Romantic Experience

by maclean Updated Oct 18, 2005

Go there, Do it, Enjoy it - That is about it - "The Witchery"

The setting is theatrical, spectacular, dramatic, Romantic (oh the list goes on).
    Do not even think about it, just phone up and reserve a table, for your next visit, surprise your partner with a meal here and to really top your night off - Book a suite !!!!

I find the staff are very knowledgable when it comes to discussing the menus and the wines on offer and I can safely say that so far I have not had a bad recommendation from the staff the wine always compliments the meal perfectly - so nice to have someone who knows the wine list and menu competently

The only place I could not take a camera as I would have been there for hours because there would be so much to photograph.
    (Pictures From the website of the Witchery - I hope it gives you a feel of the place.)

If you leave here, half as satisfied as I have been in the past, then you halve enjoyed it immensley and loved everything about it.

Favorite Dish: Favourite - How cruel is that ?, how do you expect me to pick only one favourite !

Everything here is good and prepared for you to perfection - if you do find any faults with the food - by the standards of The Witchery, I am sure that they will be bending over backwards to rectify this for you - that is just the way this place is. (Not that I could have ever found a fault in The Withchery)

I personally love having a night at the theatre and then retiring to the Witchery for a late night supper and a few drinks with a nice group of friends.

Example of the food on offer The Inner Sanctum - Plush, Gothic, Dramatic The Library
    • Castles and Palaces

• Paisleypaul's Profile Photo

The Secret Garden: Garden of Earthly delights

by Paisleypaul Written Jul 18, 2005

The Secret Garden is downstairs from The Witchery restaurant. It is cool and very classy in ambience, with a gothic castellated front and piped choral music thick with atmosphere. Expert vintners are on hand - if you can pay upwards of £1500 for a half bottle of hock, please e-mail me with what you do for a living ! - palatable house wines from about one-hundredth of that (whew!). Menu changes but has several Scottish favourites.
    With beer or a half and a sensible bottle of wine no more than £25, two or three courses will come in at about either side of £100 per couple

Favorite Dish: Starters - cream of celreiac soup/half lobster oysters & razor clams/ rabbit confit

Mains - Angus steak, Monkfish

Desserts - 3 mini sweets special incl. brulee

Enter here for Secret Garden
    • Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• steventilly's Profile Photo

The Witchery By The Castle: A Touch Of Class

by steventilly Written Jan 2, 2003

The Witchery is one of Edinburgh's finest dining locations, set in a former merchants house dating from the 16th century and decorated in accordance with this.
    Actually two venues in one, there is "The Witchery" and "The Secret Garden". We ate in The Secret Garden, which is down the stairs and faces out onto an enclosed courtyard garden.
    The quality of food and the quality and efficiency of the service was far and away the best we have ever experienced. At the price though, you would expect no less.
    This was one place where I DID NOT take a picture of my food! The pic below is from their own website!

Favorite Dish: We had
    Roast celeraic and curried apple soup
    Baked Crotin wrapped in filo pastry with pine-nuts, oven-dried tomatoes in mustard dressing
    Filo pastry tart with red onion marmalade, leeks, baby spinach and Gruyere
    Angel hair pasta with ragout of chanterelles butter beans and sorrel
    Three créme brulées (milk chocolate, pear and pistachio)
    Farmhouse cheeses Montgomery Mature Cheddar, Criffel and Cashel Blue served with quince jelly and walnut loaf.
    All washed down with a superb bottle of Alsace Tokay wine.

Food Glorious Food

• dotshand's Profile Photo

The Witchery By The Castle: Expensive

by dotshand Written Aug 4, 2005

The Witchery is a lovely place for a special meal as it is on the pricey side, but has great atmosphere, and celebrities do some times dine, so you can star watch

Favorite Dish: Great local produce, seafood or steaks, vension

• irish_dec's Profile Photo

The Witchery By The Castle: venison was grreat

by irish_dec Written Jan 2, 2007

the surroundings where surreal, like stepping back in time, food was second to none, i had the venison myself and it melted in my mouhtm would definately come again...all in all the witchery made my trip to edinburgh a worth while on, try it!!!

Favorite Dish: venison

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

The Witchery: Great selection and service

by Agraichen Updated Jul 10, 2005

Most people comment on British food as "rather bland." The Witchery changes all that. Excellent choices, wines from all over the world (even California), but it is a bit pricey.

If you can reserve a bit in advance you can be in the older part of the "house" which is quite small but provides the ambiance of what dining must have been like a few hundered years ago.

Favorite Dish: Ah...the lamb, but then the chops were great too. And my wife just loved the beef....so...it seems in 35 years I've not had a bad meal and people I've sent have not either.

• The Witchery By The Castle: very disappointed

by Stirl Written May 5, 2015

I had a very disappointing meal at the Secret Garden yesterday, so much so that this is the first time I've been compelled to comment on this site.

My starter was a bit of a disaster. Although it tasted fine, the waitress dragged a napkin through it before I had chance to start eating it (pea veloute) whilst pouring my drink. She neither apologised nor offered to replace it with a new version of the same dish. This was then followed by some of the driest meat (Iberian acorn fed black pig) that I'd ever eaten - I think the acorns themselves might have been a better option.

The drinks were great and the ambience fantastic. For the price, I expected better food and much better service

• The Witchery By The Castle: Great Ambience

by Macalpine Written Oct 28, 2004

6 of us visited the Witchery in February this year to celebrate my friend's 30th birthday. I'd been before and loved it. My friends absolutely raved about it but were taken about by drinks bill which came to more than our food.! Service is unobtrusive but friendly. Food is great. Two of my friends were celebrating their first anniversary so stayed in one of their suites across from the hotel. It was wonderfully gothic with great touches like shortbread, tablet and champagne.

Their sister restaurant is the Tower at the Museum of Scotland which is also well worth a visit and boasts a fantasic view of the castle.

Favorite Dish: To be honest I can't remember as it's a while ago but think it may have been venison. I remember an emphasis on produce sourced in Scotland.

• Rachael71's Profile Photo

The Witchery By The Castle: Romantic and special

by Rachael71 Updated Jul 19, 2004

This has to be the most romantic restaurant I have ever visited. The Witchery by the Castle is located at the top of the Royal Mile, and its history can be traced back to the 1600s (legend has it that witches were housed here prior to execution, hence the name.) It has no electricity in the restaurant, so you have to dine by candlelight. There are fresh hyacinths on the tables, filling the whole room with a gorgeous perfume. The food is fabulous. It's a little more expensive than other restaurants, but the pre-theatre menu is excellent value at around 10GBP for two courses. The restaurant is very popular so you do need to book in advance.

• selbya's Profile Photo

The Witchery by the Castle: Most atmospheric restaurant in Edinburgh!

by selbya Updated Apr 14, 2003

The Witchery by the Castle, The Royal Mile.

This must be the best restaurant in Edinburgh. The location is fantastic and the ambience is hard to beat.
    It is situated practically next door to the castle and the timbered building just oozes history and atmosphere.
    The dining room is delightfully gothic, with heavy antique furniture, drapes and candlesticks.
    The service is very attentive and helpful. It took us ages to peruse the wine list - it was 130 pages long. Needless to say we could only afford the first three bottles on the list! (And that was at a push!)
    Despite trembling hands at the sight of the prices of the dishes, when the food arrived we forgot about the credit card bill and dived in. We opted for the chateaubriand which was cooked to perfection. We couldn't decide which dessert to choose, so we sampled a selection of them! The creme brulee was delicious.
    All in all we had a fantastic night out. I remembered throughout the evening why the Witchery got its name. Apparently,during medieval times, thousands of 'witches' were killed almost exactly on the spot where we now sat. As the candles flickered, a chill ran down my spine and I was suddenly very eager to sign that enormous credit card bill...

Favorite Dish: Chateaubriand. If you are spending that much money, you may as well face bankruptcy in style...

Creme brulee. Creamy, dreamy. The best dessert by far.

Honest, I'm no witch...

• swakopgirl's Profile Photo

The Witchery: The Witchery

by swakopgirl Updated Jun 11, 2003

Entirely lit by candles, it has to be absolutely the most romantic restaurant on earth. Have a look at the celebrity guestbook on their site. They also have bedrooms, which look absolutely gorgeous. If you really want to treat yourself and your partner, this is the place to go.

• Liz10052's Profile Photo

The Witchery By the Castle: The Witchery By the Castle

by Liz10052 Written Aug 26, 2002

The environment is very nice, very romantic. It's almost right next to Edinburgh Castle, in a 16th century building.

Favorite Dish: Salmon; beware of the Steak Tartare! Actually, the Witchery's steak tartare is good as far as the dish goes, but my boyfriend didn't know that this was uncooked meat. His face was hilarious. Now we know. The rest of the food is delicious.

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

The Witchery: Magical Myterious Witchery

by SabrinaSummerville Written Feb 2, 2006

I first discovered The Witchery when browsing through one of those little City guides that they leave in your hotel room. I had to persuade my three travelling companions to give it a try, but my goodness we were all so very happy with the choice.

The Witchery is very close to Edinburgh Castle and when we arrived there we were told that we would be eating in The Secret Garden. I thought to myself, "could this be any more enchanting?" But it was.

We followed a series of cobbled steps and courtyards to the secret garden, and descended into a very grand room by a grad staircase lit by tiny candles placed on each step. We were lead to our table which was perfectly set with the crispest starched linen, crystal, and silver cutlery. There were gigantic candelabras everywhere. In the corner of the room there was a turret and I expected to see Rapunzel throwing her golden hair out the top window!

Service was first class and the food was equally excellent - the best of local Scottish fare.

I have since learned that there are hotel rooms here, so I hope to return and indulge very very shortly.

• Luxury Travel

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

The Witchery: The Witchery

by AcornMan Written May 21, 2004

Located in an historic sixteenth-century building at the gates of Edinburgh Castle, James Thomson's Witchery is perhaps the most atmospheric and famous dining destination in the Edinburgh. Originally built for an Edinburgh merchant in 1595, this historic building at the very top of the Royal Mile just next to the castle now includes the jewel-like Witchery diningroom, the spectacular Secret Garden, and indulgent and opulent suites on the floors above.

• hslowe's Profile Photo

The Witchery: One of the best meals I've ever had...

by hslowe Written Mar 24, 2003

WOW. The Witchery is expensive, but it is so worth it. It's a dark, cavelike place with a spooky gothic interior, tastefully done. There is an endless wine list, and the food is divine. They call it Scottish/international but however you define it, it is cooking at its best.

Favorite Dish: I had the Aberdeen beef with garlic mashed potatoes. And the excellent bread they bring you beforehand could be a meal in itself.

Instant Answers: Edinburgh

Comments

Hotels Near The Witchery By The Castle
4.5 out of 5 stars