Tower Restaurant, Edinburgh

3.5 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

National Museum Of Scotland, Chambers Street, Edinburgh EH1 1JF +00 44 (0)131 225 3003
    The Tower restaurant, Edinburgh
    by clairegeordio
    The Tower Restaurant
    by steventilly

• The Tower Restaurant: Poor quality food, high prices

by hellnick Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant is situated in a wing of a museum. Sounds nice and that convinced me to ignore the bad reviews I'd read and book. Big mistake.

The food is generally pretty poor - the deserts were nice but that might have been because I was left hungry by my poor quality main meal. I chose a steak, not adventurous I know, but I thought at $60 it must be excellent. No. The beef was tough, dry (even cooked rare) and tasteless. The potato cake was just a joke.

Wine was heavily overpriced - too big a mark up for very average wine.

Service was pleasant, if not particularly smart.

Would not go again and will recommend that others avoid it.

Favorite Dish: The sweet dish was nice - not nice enough that I can remember it now, though.

• Motorcycle
    • Adventure Travel
    • Bungy Jumping

• BlueBeth's Profile Photo

The Tower Restaurant: Oh my god!

by BlueBeth Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place is the 2nd poshest restaurant I've ever been to! The food is unbelievable the staff are charming, attentive, friendly, witty, I could go on but I need the room for the food!

Ok I had the duck and proscuitto roulade to start, it came with tiny cornichons, there were three perfect slices and it all looked so pretty I was loathe to cut into it. I was so glad I did, the taste was amazing! Main course, venison, with sweet & sour beetroot and a potato and bacon dauphinoise, sublime! Dessert, bitter chocolate creme brulee. Speechless! Seriously I have never ever tasted a brulee as good, and I don't do desserts.

I had a lovely glass of merlot with the duck and we shared a bottle of shiraz viognier with our mains/desserts, great coffee to round it all off.

The service was outstanding, the Tower is situated at the top of the Museum of Scotland and you enter as though entering the museum. The security staff on reception take your name and escort you to the lift. As you exit the lift the maitre'd then calls you by name and escorts you to your table (no bar or lounge to sit and wait in). We were given a lovely table overlooking the castle, which just got prettier and prettier as the sky darkened. Every need was catered for, boyfriend had to stifle a giggle when I left to use the bathroom as a waiter quickly came over to the table to refold my napkin :-)

The Tower is a sister restaurant to the Witchery by the Castle, the Witchery is more famous but I think the Tower is better.

Favorite Dish: I can't describe my favourite dish as they were all so perfect!

• Museum Visits

• clairegeordio's Profile Photo

The Tower Restaurant: Edinburgh's first and finest rooftop restaurant!

by clairegeordio Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Tower restaurant is located at the top of the Museum of Scotland. It is owned and run by established Scottish restaurateur James Thomson and has won several awards since it's opening in 1998. Depending on where you are seated, you can see lovely views of the castle and city. According to it's website, many celebrities have visited the restaurant such as Vanessa Redgrave, Joanna Lumley, the Countess of Wessex, Iain Banks, Catherine Zeta Jones and Sean Connery.
    Meals served at the Tower include dishes such as Argyll oysters, local seafood, seasonal game, Angus beef and lamb.

Favorite Dish: We ate here for our first wedding anniversary and the dishes I had were goats cheese roulade, beetroot jelly and red onion marmalade for starters, tea smoked roasted gressingham duck, spring greens and pancetta for a main and chocolate and raspberry marquise, with white chocolate and raspberry ripple sorbet for dessert.

The Tower restaurant, Edinburgh

• steventilly's Profile Photo

The Tower Restaurant: The Tower Restaurant

by steventilly Updated Apr 4, 2011

One of Scotland (and the UK's) finest restaurants. Run by James Thomson, the same guy who owns The Witchery, a renowned Scottish restauranteur.

The views from The Tower are supposedly the finest in Edinburgh, and guests of The Witchery are guaranteed one of the best seats in the place.

Favorite Dish: Menu varies regularly, but always includes some very tasty vegetarian dishes, such as Fresh spinach linguine with slow roasted plum tomatoes, sliced fresh truffle and Parmesan. Mmmm.

The Tower Restaurant