Botanical Gardens, Edinburgh

4.5 out of 5 stars 9 Reviews

• Aitana's Profile Photo

Royal Botanic Garden

by Aitana Written Jul 18, 2008

It is always nice to visit the botanic gardens, but in the case of Edinburgh, it is especially advisable. I recommend a guided tour. An expert will explain the hidden treasures of the garden and many features of the plant species you will see.

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

Royal Botanical Gardens

by dutchboycalledjan Updated Oct 10, 2007

The gate

This is a must see for every garden lover. These gardens are among the best I've ever visited - and i do visit botanical gardens where ever i can. The garden is meticulously kept. The grass is perfect, the lay outs brilliant, and - perhaps the best - the texture is great. The garden consist of several themes, and our favorites are the Stone Garden and the Chinese Garden. Also very good views on the castle.

The entrance is free (unbelievable) but the Green Houses are a stiff 3 pounds 50. The elder parts are traditional and very good; I didn't quite like most of the newer parts. Difficult to say why, perhaps because of the randomness of it. Also, I've seen the Victoria Regia too often. The part with the primitive plants is very good, though. You can visit the first green house for free and this was one of the best. So, perhaps skip the rest, when it is good weather.

• Suet's Profile Photo

Royal Botanical Gardens

by Suet Updated Sep 13, 2006

The lotus leaf

You probably know that I am potty about plants. This is the place to come to identify and enjoy rare species, to indulge your senses with colour, form and scent. The gardens are free to enter, but if you want to go into the glasshouses, it's £3.50 per person. I like the many temperatures and humidities of the tropical houses and the desert house. I can pretend I am back in the rain forest in Gabon, or in my garden in Kenya, or in the desert with a fierce sun (well, that part requires imagination as it is not that hot in Scottie).

The delight that a new flower or leaf shape gives is wonderful. If you can buttonhole a member of staff, you can talk plants for ages... and learn a lot too. There are many talks, exhibitions and demonstrations, just check the website for up to date information.

Trees are important to me. I get a huge sense of pleasure at seeing them fully grown, all shapes and sizes. They give a feeling of peace and stability in my life.

Some of these photos were taken by IMANIAC... thanks Roy, you really do take a nice snap!

• Hiking and Walking
    • Seniors

• evaanna's Profile Photo

'The Botanics'

by evaanna Updated Aug 13, 2006

Royal Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh

I stayed not far from the Royal Botanic Garden of Edinburgh so of course I went to see it one day. It was just a twenty minute walk but at one point I had to ask the way. I asked a passer-by about the Botanic Garden. "The Botanics?" she said and pointed in the right direction. That's how I learnt what the locals call it. I entered the gardens by the East Gate at Inverleith Row past the shop, which I found most interesting, and Inverleith House (1774) with a cafe. I followed the signs for the 'Glasshouse Experience' but stopped a few times to watch the grey squirrels, of which there were many. Admission charge to the glasshouses is now 3.50 GBP adults, and 1 GBP children, but what you will see there is certainly worth it. The Glasshouses are divided into ten climate zones, recreated as faithfully as possible, complete with plants, fish and even birds. So you can visit the Orchid and Cycad House, the oldest of the cycads being already 200 years old, the Tropics Houses, where you can see a large collection of rhododendrons, an underground aquarium and even plants that feed on insects, the Arid Lands House, displaying the plants of the desert, the Peat House, the Tropical Rock and Palm Houses. It was so hot in some of them I had to take my coat off and even so started sweating. I was so reluctant to leave the place I later did not have time to see the famous Chinese Hillside with masses of Chinese plants, a pond with a waterfall and a T'ing or traditional small pavillion. But, quite by chance, on my way back I discovered a breathtaking view of the whole of Edinburgh from the back of the Terrace Cafe. If I had bypassed it on the right as I had done before I would have seen nothing.
    A fantastic place, with many attractions for adults and children alike. And, what is important, most of them are accessible to wheelchair users.
    I owe the pictures for this tip to Iza Szymanska and the one of the lilies to Shane ( VT member uglyscot).

• Disabilities

• kiely's Profile Photo

*Botanical Garden

by kiely Written Jun 20, 2006

Edinburgh has the most impressive and huge Botanical Garden in Europe, especially the Glass House---I really love it. And it's free to get in .( you might ask me why only in Europe .... well the answer is I've only been the ones in Europe . not other parts of the world :-P )

• Travelchili's Profile Photo

Royal Botanic Garden

by Travelchili Written Oct 8, 2003

The park is 28 hectares and it hosts plant collections from around the world. You can find the Britain's tallest Palm House and the world's largest collection of vireya rhododendrons (they originate from New Guinea and Borneo).

Entry to the garden is FREE
    They are open daily from 10am to 4pm (Nov-Feb), 10am to 6pm (March and Oct) and 10am to 7pm (Apr-Sept)

• Jacksprat's Profile Photo

Botanical Gardens

by Jacksprat Written Feb 25, 2003

The Botanical Gardens are just amazing. You can wonder about for hours from one garden theme to another. One moment you'll be in a typical japanese garden, and then you're out in african somewhere. There are also open lawns where could feed the squirrels while you sit and enjoy a picnic.

• gabriellefox's Profile Photo

Spend an afternnon at the...

by gabriellefox Written Aug 25, 2002

Spend an afternnon at the Royal Botanic Garden
    Scotland's National Botanic Garden displays plant treasures from around the globe in its seventy exquisitely landscaped acres. The Garden boasts a world-famous Rock Garden and ten magnificent glasshouses including Britain's tallest Palm House , with plants from the temperate and tropical parts of the world.

• fishandchips's Profile Photo

Botanic Gardens

by fishandchips Written Feb 20, 2006

These are a nice time out from the hectic pace of shopping for tartan and sampling whiskey. The gardens are a bit on the ho hum side but are a nice walk around some typically scottish flora.

• National/State Park

Instant Answers: Edinburgh

Comments

Hotels Near Botanical Gardens
4.5 out of 5 stars