Tours, Edinburgh

by spocklogic
  • Alex_kiki's Profile Photo

Walking Tour with Local Eyes Tours

by Alex_kiki Written Feb 11, 2015

Did this tour last week with and had a great time. Chris the guide is very friendly and accommodating but he also knows a lot about the city and Scotland. We didn't book a private tour but we were the only ones there and that added to the experience.

The tour lasted for 3 hours and we covered a lot of ground seeing the Old and New Towns. Worth trying if you are in the city and have some spare time.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

West Highlands, Lochs and Castles-Rabbie's

by Dabs Updated Sep 2, 2014

I had wanted to see a little of the scenery of Scotland and without a car that is a little difficult so I signed up for a Rabbie's tour of the West Highlands, Lochs, and Castles. Loch Ness had been my 1st thought but when I realized that most of my day would be on a bus, I decided to do something closer to Edinburgh. A couplf of other companies that came recommended were Timberbush and Hairy Coo which is a donation based tour group. The Timberbush tour and the Rabbies tour were identical except the group size was smaller with Rabbies and the price was a little higher. As I find groups frustrating as a general rule, I thought the smaller group would suit me better.

Our guide, Shelby, was colorful, full of great stories, played lots of Scottish music when not speaking and only guided us while on the bus, when off the bus we were left to our own devices which suited me just fine.

The 1st stop, after the bathroom stop (only 15 minutes into the tour!!!!), was Doune Castle, best known as the French taunter castle from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". I thought we'd have more time here but just a photo op and back on the bus, not a spare moment to fart in anyone's general direction or accuse anyone of having a mother that was a hamster or a father that smelt of elderberries. We then stopped to get food for the day and a bathroom break, a 45 minute stop at Loch Awe/Kilchurn Castle, over an hour at Inverary where we could either get lunch and walk around town or go to Inverary Castle and the final stop was at Luss near Loch Lomond for a photo op and another bathroom stop.

Loch Awe/Kilchurn Castle was the highlight of the trip for me, we had adequate time to walk to the castle, wander around and get photos and it's a stunningly beautiful setting. The places that I thought I'd love, Doune Castle and Loch Lomond were nothing more than photo op stops.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Scotline Tours

by gordonilla Updated May 11, 2014

It was a spur of the moment thing - but we booked a tour with this company. We took the Loch Ness, Glen Coe and the Highlands tour - we left at 0800 and arrived back in the city at about 1940. It was a long day and we travelled about 600km on the round trip.

It was enjoyable and we had about 22 passengers on the bus. There was one downside to the tour - we had a driver who was also the guide. I sadly did not find him entertaining nor did I feel that he added very much to the journey.

As part of the tour they take you to Urquhart Castle & Loch Ness - there is an additional charge if you want to visit the castle and go on the tour of the loch.

Office First stop for coffee after the Loch Ness boat trip Drop off point in Edinburgh

• spocklogic's Profile Photo

Bus Tour of the Highlands from Edinburgh

by spocklogic Updated Aug 20, 2013

Bus tours from Edinburgh are one way to see more of Scotland than just the city. The company Timbererbush Tours offers a variety of bus tours for travel outside of Edinburgh. The particular tour I went on was called "Loch Ness, Glencoe & The Highlands". It meets at the entrance to Edinburgh Castle at 8:00 am and returns at 8:30 pm. The tour highlights include: Stirling Castle, Kilmahog, Rob Roy Country, Rannoch Moor, Glencoe, Fort William, Ben Nevis, The Great Glen, Fort Augustus, Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle, Inverness, Pitlochry. It doesn't actually stop at all these places and some are just drive by "there it is, there it goes" variety. For a detailed itinerary and map of the route I include some screenshots from the brochure in my photos, but you can look at their website for more information.

The tour price was 40 pounds and an extra 12 pounds for the boat ride on Loch Ness. Lunch is at your own expense too. This is pretty standard in what other companies charge too. It's recommended to book ahead as they do fill up before the day of the tour. There were six stops altogether on the all day tour (1.Kilmahog, 2.Rannoch Moor, 3.Glencoe, 4.Fort William, 5.Loch Ness, and 6.Pitlochry) which lasted 12 hours. The 1st & 6th were really just pit stops for restroom facilities, and a bit of tourist shopping for a 1/2 hour each. The 4th stop was for lunch and an hour or so. The 2nd and 3rd at Rannoch Moor and Glencoe were 10 or 15 minutes at most and photo frenzies. The 5th stop at Loch Ness was 1.5 to 2 hours and there was a cruise on the Loch lasting an hour. Add it all up and it was 7-8 hours on the bus and 4-5 hours outside here and there.

Yes, it was fun to see the Highlands and splendid country it is, but for a 50+ pound day ($75 USD) I'm not sure I can say it was all that $75 and 12 hour fantastic. Still, it is a unique experience to see this part of Scotland and the driver/guide did make it interesting and entertaining too. Price is often a personal choice regarding what you are willing to pay for what you get. For me, I was willing to pay the price for the experience because who knows when I'll be back to Scotland and the amount I payed seems small compared to the riches I got in the experience. Also the Mercedes Benz Torino tour bus was some kind of comfortable ride!

Timberbush Tour Bus Highlands tour itinerary Highlands tour map route Graham (our driver and guide) Edinburgh Castle - early morning

• JessH's Profile Photo

Down in the Darkness: Underground Vaults Tours

by JessH Updated Apr 4, 2012

On this, my second visit to Edinburgh, I really looked forward to finally seeing the famous underground city. For our group of 6 adults, I booked with Mercat Tours and we weren't disappointed!

The company offers different types of tours (historically accurate, purely fictional, legends & ghost stories, etc.) but on this visit we chose "Ghost & Ghouls". At £13.- per ticket (and this includes a complimentary drink in their "private" tavern - Megget's Cellar - afterward) we found this great value for money.

Our guide, Jared, was simply fantastic: theatrical, committed and just pure fun. He really got everyone involved in the tour - my husband was given the task of "security": walking behind the group to make sure nobody was snatched and dragged into any of the dark and gloomy closes of the old town...

I won't give you the full details and entire story of the tour here; after all: I wouldn't want to spoil the suspense for you! But let me just say that we were treated to various stories and legends of murderers, criminals and their unfortunate victims and how their lives (and souls...?) are still tied to the old cobbles and stone walls of the city.

As part of the tour, you are granted access to the underground Vaults of Edinburgh. This used to be the old city, until the "new" city was built on top. The vaults are a series of chambers in the 19 arches of the South Bridge, which was completed in 1788. For around 30 years, the vaults were used to house taverns, tradesmen and as storage space for smugglers. Poor people lived here and due to poor ventilation, no sanitation and no running water it was said that illness spread through the vaults like a wildfire, causing the citizens to move out and move on. Legends has it that many plague victims were simply locked in the vaults, effectively burying them alive. There is no proof for this, but it does make for some great stores of haunted rooms and catacombs!

My favourite part of the tour was actually the 20min or so at the end, when we all gathered in Mercat's private "Tavern" for a complimentary drink, and our guide Jared answered questions and kept us entertained with more spooky and blood-curdling stories.

Mercat offer different types of experiences, ranging from the strictly historical and informative, to the more "scary" type still dotted with actual facts, to the downright outrageously fun with actors jumping out of dark corners to scare you!
    We really enjoyed our tour and when I return to Edinburgh I may book another of their tours for a new experience!

Inside the Tavern for more ghost stories... Jared of Mercat Tours, Edinburgh (Oct. 2011) Jared of Mercat Tours, Edinburgh, in action Inside Megget's Cellar, Mercat Tours, Edinburgh Walking around Edinburgh at night...

• Hairy Coo bus day tour

by searcher48 Written Aug 27, 2011

Fantastic day out, from leaving at 8.45 am until we returned at about 6.30. Our driver kept everyone entertained with witty banter and tales of Scottish History. We had regular stops to climb to a view point or wander to a loch side to take photos. But nothing more than 10 mins walk away. We were led "off the beaten track" and as the bus only held 25 pax it was nice and exclusive feel. We stopped in a village where we could buy lunch and our driver/guide pointed out the different options from the local pub to the pie deli. The trip is run on an interesting system where it is "free" but you give a "tip" of your choosing. A great idea!!

• Scottish Highlands-The Hairy Coo

by bhyman1 Written Aug 26, 2011

The Hairy Coo tour to the scottish highlands was an amazing tour. First of all it's free. Second the tour guide of the trip had a wealth of knowledge about scottish culture, politics, and history, making every stop on the tour more meaningful and enjoyable. I would highly recommend this tour!

• Castles and Palaces

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

Sandmans New Europe Edinburgh Walking Tour

by spidermiss Updated Apr 20, 2011

The highlights on the walking tour are as follows:

- The Royal Mile
    - Grassmarket
    - Scott Monument
    - Princess Street & Gardens
    - And other places!

You learn about the history and legends that are associated with these places such as the Scottish Enlightenment including David Hume; William Wallace and the Stone of Destiny and the real Dr Jekyll & Hyde. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and highly recommend it.

On the Walking Tour Heart of Middlelothian, The Royal Mile, Edinburgh David Hume & Scottish Enlightenment Edinburgh Castle
    • Photography

• Peterodl's Profile Photo

City of the Dead and Mckenzie's Poltergeist

by Peterodl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Catch a ride with the City of the Dead tours and visit the old Covenenters Prison grounds in the Greyfriars Cemetary.
    The tour company is the only company to have access to the grounds and the sight of the hauntings.
    Guides are knowledgeable and friendly.
    Since 1998, over 420 people have been attacked and the week before I took the tour 3 people were knocked unconscious.
    Tours leave no matter what the weather so come prepaired.
    Stay close together now, you don't want to be McKenzie's next victim!
    Tours last 1 hour and 15 min. and cost 8 pounds (6.50 concessions (students) and 5 pounds for 16 and under).

• hslowe's Profile Photo

City of the Dead ghost tour

by hslowe Updated Apr 4, 2011

Edinburgh has a lot of ghost tours but this one is the scariest, since it offers time in a tomb with a genuine poltergeist.

The poltergeist doesn't make an appearance every night but those who have encountered it swear it is real and it is evil. Read more on the City of the Dead website, and go!

I was more than creeped out and highly entertained, even though there were no attacks the night I went. If you want to learn more about the MacKenzie poltergeist, there is a good spooky book about it--"The Ghost That Haunted Itself."

• FREE WALKING TOURS-Real Tours Edinburgh

by studentmaria Written Oct 15, 2010

If you want to know the real city of Edinburgh join this tour.Is a 3 hours walking tour around the Old and New Town with the best guides.The tour is FREE but guides deserve a good tip at the end and you will see why.They are great!
    Find them in front of the pub The Royal McGregor, 154 High Street (The Royal Mile) at 11.00am.

Also they do a ghost tour at 21.30 for £5 where you will visit a graveyard and discover the dark side of the city.

• Edinburgh Ghost Tours

by frankkearns Updated Apr 5, 2010

I'm a big fan of walking tours, especially ghost tours, and I try ro do at least one in every city I visit. To say that Edinburgh has a large selection to choose from is an understatement. It's undoubtedly Britain's ghost tour capital! On my last visit I took four ghost tours, all enjoyable in their own way. I did the free tour that starts outside The Scotsman pub, and had a lot of fun. It's really a historical tour, not a ghost tour, but it was lots of fun. The guide had a lot of comedy props which he kept throwing at us! At the end, I donated £5.00. It was a good laugh, even though I like my ghost tours more serious. I also went on Auld Reekie's tour of the Edinburgh vaults, which was creepy, although some of the stories sounded a little dubious, dare I say made-up? The best two tours were Mercat Tour's Ghostly Underground Vaults tour and the City of the Dead tour of Greyfriars Kirkyard. Both of these were genuinely creepy and highly entertaining. The Greyfriars tour was interesting because a number of people on the tour got freaked out, and ran off screaming outside the tomb of Sir George MacKenzie. The Mercat tour was fun, with a very theatrical guide, great stories and a nice gift shop at the end! All in all, a great trip to a great city!

• Museum Visits
    • Archeology

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo

City Bus Tours

by Ben-UK Written Oct 18, 2007

If you fancy a bus tour of the city then go to Waverley Bridge, next to the train station, lots of buses there -- costs about £9 and tickets are valid for a day -- you can hop on/off at the many stops around the city or the full tour takes about an hour.

City tour buses, Edinburgh

• kevarms's Profile Photo

Forth Bridges Cruise

by kevarms Written Aug 4, 2007

The jury is still out on this one. Starting from Waverley Bridge the bus travels out to South Queensferry. The recorded commentary was largely irrelevant, uninteresting and sometimes annoying. Things picked up a bit during the boat cruise which started directly under the Forth Rail Bridge. From there we sailed along the Firth and around Inchcolm Island. We saw seals!
    We were a little disappointed that we were still charged the regular price despite the scheduled landing on the island being cancelled 'due to technichal reasons' or 'they never land at this time of year' depending who you spoke to.

• oceania26's Profile Photo

Highland Day Tour

by oceania26 Updated Apr 1, 2007

I took a one day Highland tour was greatly disappointed. I took the tour with Scottish Tours which picked us up from St Andrews bus station at 8am and dropped us off at 8pm - cost of 31 pounds.

It was basically 12 hours on the coach, stopping a small town for a meal break. Constantly threatened that we would left behind if we were not on the coach on time, it got annoying after a while, we're not children (and no one was ever late).

Did not make any stops for pictures in the most beautiful scenic spots, mainly between Callander and Glencoe. Instead we stopped 30mins in Callander to get something to eat, even though we had only been on the bus for less than an 1 hour. Next stop was Glencoe Visitor Centre for 30mins which had a pretty bad view compared to what we saw before. Next stop was Fort Augustus for 45mins for lunch and no stop during the beautiful drive along Loch Ness. Next Inverness for 45mins which was a waste of time, nothing really to do, just another city. Last stop was Pitlochry for 45mins, cute town that was the best stop.

There were so concerned about making time that it was completely unenjoyable. We literally had a 1min stop at Uqhart Castle, barely enough time to get any pictures let alone go down and explore it.

So disappointed...the guide was very informative and very good bus driver.

Instant Answers: Edinburgh