Leith Nightlife

Most Recent Nightlife in Leith

• EasyMalc's Profile Photo

The Port O'Leith: A Veritable Leith Institution

by EasyMalc Updated Jan 3, 2016

There are plenty of smart new bars and restaurants springing up in Leith these days, but the Port O’Leith isn’t one of them.
    This is one of the last, if not THE last sailors pub in Leith and it has a host of nautical memorabilia to prove it. I’m sure if walls could talk the walls in here would have a host of tales to tell, but for how much longer is anyone’s guess. There always seem to be rumours of it closing. Maybe it will or maybe it won’t, but whatever happens make sure that at the next opportunity you drop into what is undoubtedly one of Leith’s veritable institutions.

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

Portland Bar: ~ You're Typical Scottish Pub ~

by RavensWing Updated Dec 3, 2014

Planxty and I were headed out for dinner and ended up at the Ocean Terminal Shopping Center. The lady at the Premiere Inn had advised us of a good place to get some curry for supper. We found out that it wasn't in the Ocean Terminal Shopping Center as we thought. We got the correct instructions and headed towards the restaurant.

Planxty claims he can smell a "good pub" through 6 feet of concrete a mile away! Guess what we found? The Portland Bar! We decided to go in there for a quick drink before we went for supper. Needless to say we never made it there.

The people were so friendly in there, so welcoming to tourists. We sat down for our quick drinks and ended up staying until the pub closed. We listened to stories, they played music from the jukebox (or whatever it's called hanging on the wall) and we drank and had a grand old time. Such a good time that since we missed getting out 'curry dinner' that night, we headed back the next day. We headed back into the Portland Pub for a quick drink and once again ended up spending the night there.

This time there was a man there who came up to talk to us. He was extremely talented at reciting poetry. He recited the first poem he had ever written to me. Then he talked a bit, went to another table and came back to ask if he could create a poem about me. So as he stood there he created a poem for me. He was amazing at his poetry. Again he went back to another table, and then back to chat with us - this time he asked me if he could give me a gift. I said if he wished too. He came back with two pictures from the wall. He told me to choose one, the one that I liked the best. He had painted them himself and wanted me to have one. So on my wall there is a beautiful picture of butterflies that he gifted me.

Where else could you go and listen to a man spout poetry all night, chat about his interesting life, and give a gift to a total stranger.

It was a great time and I wouldn't hesitate to go back again.

Opening Hours

Sunday - Wednesday -----> 12 Noon - 10:30pm
    Friday -----> 12 Noon - Midnight
    Saturday -----> 12 Noon - 1:00am

Dress Code: There is no dress code. Wear what is comfortable.

Portland Bar Portland Bar Portland Bar The Picture I was Gifted

Lighthouse: Beacon

The Lighthouse

Unmissable place on the Shore in Lieth, this is set over 3 levels and caters for a variety of events. The main bar on the ground floor is always crowded on a weekend and my tip for making a night of it is to have a meal on the balcony above the bar then kick back and relax. If you are feeling a tad energetic then there is a dancefloor on the 2nd floor with all the cheesy music you need.

Dress Code: Smartish casual (depends on the doormen)

Isobar: Late nite drinking

by clivedinburgh Updated Oct 9, 2006

This was my venue of choice for a late night drink as it has a 1am license. Good selection of drinks and a barman that knows far too many cocktails. The bench seating towards the back can help blend different groups together.

Cougar Lounge: Strike a pose

by clivedinburgh Updated Jan 23, 2006

The Cougar Lounge has a large floor area that can give the impression of seeming quite empty. There are plenty sofas to lounge about on and the atmosphere is always relaxed. There is a patio area out front in the summer for watching the world go by. Live bands feature occasionally.

Cougar Lounge

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

The Shore !: GOOD BEER IN GOOD PUBS! Cheaper than Edinburgh

by EdinburghRoc Written Mar 17, 2005

Leith Walk to the Fit O The Walk is one long pub crawl.
    Lots of Pubs and Restaurants and Casino.
    Cheaper Hotels.
    Plenty of busses to Edinburgh.
    Shopping Mall at Ocean Terminal.
    Restaurants and cinema inside free parking.

Dress Code: Tidy, clean Jeans are okay.

Shore The Shore Leith
    • Casino and Gambling

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Leith: Pubs A Plenty

by steventilly Updated Jan 5, 2003

There are simply dozens of pubs down the Commercial Quay and Shore areas of Leith. The ones that we tried on our "pub crawl" night were:
    "The Kings Wark", "The Malt & The Hops", "The Ship" and "The Shore". These were all on the street known as "Shore".

The Kings Wark had good real ales, and the Malt & Hops was a real alse specialist pub, and even had hand drawn cider. The other two were more "bar/bistro" type of places (especially "The Shore"), and only sold "bright beer".

We were quite amazed - for a Friday evening (usually the busiest night of the week) we managed to get seated in every pub (though that's not to say they were empty) and also got served pretty quickly too. The pubs were cozy and welcoming and most had candle lit interiors, real fires and no music.

The atmosphere in all of them was friendly and welcoming. Like I say, we were taken aback! lol.

Kings Wark Pub Sign

Old Dock Bar: Relaxed hangout

by clivedinburgh Updated Apr 4, 2011

This bar is a great place to relax an afternoon away in reading a paper. The bar features several draught ales and the restaurant is good for the price.

Cameo: Word Up

by clivedinburgh Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Cameo features some great sculpture, has a reputation for good food and a large screen for sporting events.

Bar Sirius: Cool crowd

by clivedinburgh Updated Aug 23, 2006

Head over the cobbles to this hip bar for wee drink. The smallish bar can get a bit overwhelmed but the music and ambience are always good.

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

Chain Pier Pub: Pub crawl

by EdinburghRoc Updated Jul 23, 2006

Eat and drink while watching ships sail by at the Old Chain Pier.
    Lots of pubs are to be found at Newhaven.

Dress Code: Casual but nice.

Old Chain Pier Pub Newhaven and the Old Chain Pier

Compass Bar & Grill: Lost and found

by clivedinburgh Updated Jan 23, 2006

This is a fairly new bar that does a good food trade. Always welcoming it can be hard to find a pew at times.

Dress Code: Half way down Constitution Street opposite the police station.

Instant Answers: Leith

Comments

Leith Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Leith nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Leith sightseeing.