Lerwick Restaurants

Osla's exterior
    by leics
    The rather excellent beer!
    by leics

Most Recent Restaurants in Lerwick

• leics's Profile Photo

Hay's Dock Cafe/Restaurant: Super views....

by leics Updated Aug 21, 2011

Restaurant interior

This is the museum cafe, in essence, but it also opens some evenings per week for evening meals.

It has a beautiful setting, looking out over the harbour so you can watch birds, boats and seals whilst you eat.

I only had a sandwich and a beer, but some other guests at my b&b ate their evening meal there and were very complimentary.

My salt beef and horseradish sandwich was accompanied by salad and crisps, and went down very well with a bottle of Valhalla Brewery's 'Simmer Dim' ale..a really lovely golden barley beer.

Staff are pleasant, efficient and friendly. The restaurant is well designed (lots of wood and rather Scandanavian in style, which is not really surprising given Shetland's strong links with Norway) and each table has an insert of locally-relevant artwork.

Well worth seeking this place out, I think. In season, booking is probably a good idea for evening meals.

Open Mon - Sat 10:30 - 16:30
    Sun 12:00 - 16:30
    Evening Tue - Sat: 18:30 - 23:00
    Closed Sun and Mon evenings

Osla's: Sort of Italian

by leics Written Aug 20, 2011

Osla's exterior

This is a newish place, I think, set on Commercial Street (the 'heart' of the town centre) and brightly-painted.

Osla's functions as a cafe during the day (an evening) as well as a restaurant/bistro. Everything is freshly-prepared (although some is obviously made and frozen in advance) and they offer a good choice of pizzas, burgers, salads, wraps and panini.

It's pleasant inside, brightly-painted and with courteous, friendly young staff. I chose the lasgne and salad plus a Peroni beer (bottled).

The salad was quite inventive (it included olives!) and also very tasty. The lasagne (made in advance, frozen and then microwaved) was very obviously home-made; it's the sort of lasagne I make myself, not terribly successful but perfectly edible. It 'filled a gap', as we say, and the price for the meal + beer was very reasonable for the UK.

So yes...this place is also a feasible option for eating out in Lerwick. There's a good choice of food at reasonable prices (look at the website for the menu), the staff are pleasant and it has a good ambience.

• leics's Profile Photo

Queen's Hotel: The mussels looked good...

by leics Updated Aug 20, 2011

Hotel exterior

...but I didn't try them. Someone else was very much enjoying them!

On my first night I was too tired to eat a full meal so wandered into the Queen's Hotel for a bar meal. The dining room was being refurbished (one of two eating places I found which were undergoing changes..I wonder if mid-August is very near the end of Shetland's season?) so I ate in the small bar. Unfortunately, there was very little space so I had to sit at the bar itself, which made me feel slightly uncomfortable.

Staff were courteous although not overly friendly...but this is the UK, and I don't expect grovelling friendliness in my own country. It's not our way.

I chose the homemade fishcakes and salad. Advertised as a starter they were more than enough for me, consisting of two large fishcakes (very tasty) as well as a salad. The food was reasonably-priced, well-prepared and freshly-cooked. I would have been quite happy to eat a full meal in the restaurant (had it not been under refurbishment).

Well worth seeking this place out for at least one meal, I think.

• leics's Profile Photo

The Peerie Shop Cafe: Pleasant little cafe.

by leics Written Aug 20, 2011

Exterior

When I first arrived in Lerwick I was chilly, wet and desperate for something to eat and a hot drink (I'd got up at 0330 to make my flight).

The Peerie Shop Cafe seemed welcoming enough, had other people inside and was but a couple of minutes walk from where I'd parked the car, on the pier. So it was the obvious choice.

It's nice inside: nothing special but comfortable and homely, with pleasant young staff. I had a beef and horseradish sandwich, with a back coffee. Both were very pleasant, much appreciated and a reasonable price.

They provide a range of sandwiches, cakes, hot drinks etc etc. Well worth popping in for a cup of something pleasant and a warm-up. :-)

By the way, 'peerie' means 'little' in Shetland dialect.

• BOB_B's Profile Photo

Fort Cafe: Fish'n'chips

by BOB_B Written Sep 17, 2007

This is mentioned in a few of the guide books. It's cheap and cheerful although nothing to write home about. The main problem was it felt quite stuffy inside due to the heat. The food was fine but being fish'n'chips is quite limited and for drinks all you have is fizzy drinks or the instant crap coffee. It's probably a bette idea to take away your lunch and eat it on the harbour wall (if the weather is ok)

Favorite Dish: Haddock and chips. Fish is fresh.

• KennetRose's Profile Photo

The Lounge: An unforgettable music bar

by KennetRose Updated Sep 24, 2002

Shetlanders take most of their pleasures in their own or other people's houses, so there are few pubs and bars. The Lounge is a quite exceptional one though.

Favorite Dish: The food and drink scarcely matters. The reason for visiting The Lounge is for the informal music sessions which are simply stunning.

Instant Answers: Lerwick

Comments

Lerwick Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lerwick restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lerwick sightseeing.