Ayr Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Ayr

• Shanghai Rendevous, Ayr: Dont eat here

by jesslover Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dear reader :)
    i used to know somebody that worked in Shanghai Rendevous,Ayr. When they put the food out they leave it their for hours until it has fineshed, also they do not change the desert table often enough. The food is mainly deep fried and not many vegetarian choices. What the hell is ambeience? the walls are quite pretty and the cat statue(not real) behind the counter is to bring money and is HYGENIC!.

Favorite Dish: Nothing, because i order nothin and go to Macdonalds instead.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting
    • Gay and Lesbian

• picchio42's Profile Photo

Fouters: A real treasure AND handy for Prestwick Airport.

by picchio42 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I'm an ex-pat living in Italy. I've just returned from a trip back to Scotland. My family took me to this restaurant for a last lunch before leaving from Prestwick airport. which is about 10 mins by car.

What a memory to take away with me!!! To think on other trips I've made do with a last minute overpriced sandwich etc at airport!!!

The place is in a very old building full of character. The food is Scottish with a modern flair and excellent. Ingredients are all those which makes Scotland famous. Their menu is on their website. The food and presentation has to be sampled to see what I mean. This is surely quality of a future Michelin star !!

After eating we asked to pay our compliments to the chef. I could not believe my eyes when the chef, a young woman about 25 and her commis chef, another young woman in her early 20s who is responsible for the "to die for" desserts, came to our table. Although very young they seem to have some quite exciting ideas for the future of the restaurant.

The price was really good too about £14 pp for 3 course lunch not including wine.

I am recommending this to everyone I know travelling to Scotland via Prestwick airport. Also to those who are just in Scotland looking for some really fine dining.

Elliots: ELLIOTS

by hevbell Written Jul 5, 2009

This is my current favourite eating spot locally & somewhere my friends and I go regularly. Its a little more upmarket than my budget usually allows but they have some great mid week offers that make it more affordable. Its a bar & restaurant so you can either eat in the bar area or in the restaurant/terrace. It has a really nice ambience & decor and the terrace is great on a sunny day. Most importantly though, the food is fantastic!

Through the week main courses in the bar area are as reasonable as £3.95 and between 5-6.30pm, Mon-Thurs, certain main meals from the supper menu are just £5.95. Other main courses can be as much as £10-15 so its a great deal.

There is a small car park to the rear

Favorite Dish: I'm a creature of habit and my usual favourite is the traditional Lasagne with garlic bread & chips [which come in a cup, does this make them taste better? its works for me!]. Lately I have been a little more adventurous and have loved the Spaghetti Carbonara and also the burger which was available on the bar menu. It was really tasty, served in ciabatta and with Cajun chips.

Dessert wise I loved the Apple & Pear Crumble which comes in an individual dish and is really chunky and delicious! This doesn't appear on the current dessert menu but this may just be for the summer as its currently featurs mainly Sundaes and ice cream. I recently had the raspberry & strawberry sorbet which was lovely and refreshing.

• nylo's Profile Photo

The Rowan Tree: BEST Chicken ever!

by nylo Written Oct 8, 2008

We drove past this restaurant on our way to Largs, and our impression from the outside was that it looked like a classy Italian Restaurant. The following night we decided to go there for dinner. When we got inside it looked more like a classy Cafe. And the menu wasnt limited to Italian, it was very varied, which was good!
    There werent too many people there, so the staff were very attentative to us. However when we ordered our meals 1 of the items we ordered happened to be out of stock. Then when i ordered a beer, it took me 4 to choose one that they had in stock! We werent too bothered though.
    My partner and I ended up ordering the same chicken dish. Marinaded chicken stuffed with apricots in a brandy sauce, something like that, and it was ABSOLUTLY BEAUTIFUL!!! The best tasting chicken I have ever eaten!

Favorite Dish: The chicken

• Women's Travel

SOUTER JOHNNIES INN: A bit of Burns

by hevbell Updated Feb 10, 2008

This is a new restaurant located in the south Ayrshire village of Kirkoswald. I visited on its opening week to celebrate a family birthday and was very impressed. Its owned by a local company who already have several other restaurants and pubs in the Ayr area and this may be why it was very busy during a Friday lunchtime in its first week!
    The building itself has been totally refurbished and looks amazing both inside and out with its dark beams, Burns paintings and new thatched roof. The name comes from an old village resident who was drinking buddies with local poet Rabbie Burns, his cottage now being a National Trust property a few doors up from the restaurant.
    The food was absolutely delicious and there are several Scottish dishes and locally sourced ingredients on the menu including of course Haggis neeps and tatties!
    The location is handy if you are staying in the Turnberry/Maidens area or spending a day in the south of Ayrshire.

Favorite Dish: I had the Macaroni cheese with leeks and Arran mustard which was served with spring onions and tomatoes on a bed of mashed pototo which seemed strange but actually worked very well and I was very happy with my choice. I had a wee taste of the chicken with leeks and white wine and that was delicious also. We only had room for fruit salad for dessert but it was very good also! I think we will definitely be returning & recommending it to friends.

Dino's: FISH & CHIPS

by hevbell Updated Feb 10, 2008

If you get the urge to try good ol' British Fish 'n' Chips the best I know of in Ayr is

Dino's Good for your "on the way home from the pub" chips and gravy but as well as the usual chip shop takeaway staples it also has a cafe/restaurant which does filled rolls, soup etc as well as meals and is very nice. They also have a second branch, Dino's Too, a takeaway only, on Whiteletts Road not far from the A77. Since I moved this is my new "local" and I've not been disappointed so far!

Favorite Dish: I'm not too keen on battered fish but you can get Dressed [ie breaded] fish and plenty other options such as sausage, chicken, pizza etc They also do ovenbaked pizzas and there are several special deals.
    **for those not in the know.. a single is without chips and a supper is with chips and a lot of things come deep fried **

• Alex_71's Profile Photo

Peters: a strange mix

by Alex_71 Written Nov 5, 2006

In this restaurant you can find a mix of different way of cooking.Most of all the mis is between local fish and local tradition,with oriental way of cooking.I think it's 'couse the property is of an asiatic woman(very friendly like all the staff).It's not like going to eat in pub so here you can try different things,but as italian,i have to admit that it's not the best for me.I like traditional way of cooking and i don't love mix so much.Anyway i can't say that there was something bad.If i don't remember bad a little too much expensive for the quantity of food u have.

Futura Gardens: STUFF YOURSELF CHINESE STYLE

by hevbell Updated Aug 6, 2006

I had my birthday meal here last year. The decor etc isn't terribly Chinese or anything, it just feels like a big room with tables. The food more than made up for it though and was delicious. Great desserts and yummy chilli fries as well as all the usual asian dishes to choose from. The buffet was around £12

The Wheatsheaf: ANOTHER WETHERSPOONS

by hevbell Updated Aug 6, 2006

Formerly a Wetherspoons its now a Lloyds but there doesn't seem to be much difference. Its a pub with a good wide-ranging menu and some good offers including burger and beer for £3.99 or the curry club on certain nights. Also a 2 meals for £5.75 deal on certain menu items.
    This is somewhere I go a lot with friends since its convenient for meeting up after work. We love their big comfy sofas and good value food. There is also an outside patio where you can people watch on a sunny day!

Favorite Dish: If I'm really hungry I'll go for the Burger deal but my usual favourite is one of the pasta dishes, Chicken Alfredo or the Penne Margherita, or else the 5 Bean Chilli.

The Carlton Hotel: CARLTON HOTEL

by hevbell Updated Aug 6, 2006

This place is one of my favourites locally but somewhere I don't go too often as the menu is limited. The food is delicious though and I always enjoy it!

Basically its a carvery place so the main part of the meal involves going up to the buffet style area and picking out your choice of meat which the chef will carve for you and then helping yourself to the trimmings -- stuffing balls, Yorkshire puddings, various vegetables, roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, gravy etc. There is usually a choice of ham, turkey and beef or you can have all three if you wish! A good old fashioned British roast dinner!!

They do have vegetarian options and there are also starters and desserts on the menu.

Best of all its really good value, especially on week nights :)

Favorite Dish: My absolute favourite thing is the dessert - I always have Chocolate Melt cake. Its just devine and I remember the first time my friend and I tried it, the waitress berated us for choosing it as it meant there was less likely to be any left for her at the end of her shift!!

I'm not a ham fan so I always have turkey and beef, yummy sage and onion stuffing balls, veg and roast tatties :) Weirdly one of my favourite things is the cauliflower!! I always have a big heap of that on my plate!

Shanghai Rendezvous: CHINESE BUFFET

by hevbell Updated Aug 6, 2006

Large Chinese buffet restaurant in Ayr town centre. Nice decor and ambience. My first visit there was for a Christmas party night with work which included karaoke and dancing. Good fun and good food! The only downside was that although there is a bar, they preferred you to order drinks from the waiting staff which meant it was hard to get one when the place was really busy.

I have been back on a quieter night, since then, and the service was fine.

Favorite Dish: EVERYTHING!! The thing I like about these places is that you can try little bits of everything so it doesn't matter if you dislike something, you haven't a whole plateful of it. I seem to remember the fillet steak in black bean sauce being my particular favourite favourite last time I was there though!

Riverside Inn: RIVERSIDE INN

riverside inn

Countryside bar/restaurant that my family has frequented quite a lot over the years at various times. Its got a kind of higer quality pub grub style menu - Steak pie, Fish & chips, pasta dishes, salmon etc

Favorite Dish: my current favourite is the Lasagne and apparently the chicken stuffed with haggis is lovely [if you like Haggis! urgh!]. I used to love the lamb goulash when that was on the menu.

North Beach Hotel: NORTH BEACH HOTEL

north beach hotel

This has long been a favourite with my family, I remember having lunch here when my gran was still alive, and that was over 10 years ago. We have only been during the day but I did have a work Christmas night out here a couple of years ago and the food was again delicious!

The type of food on the menu is probably similar to that you would get in a pub but a bit fancier.

Favorite Dish: ON my most recent visit there I tried the Cullen Skink [a Scottish soup with smoked haddock, potato and bacon] which was just delicious and I also had the Grilled Salmon. The menu changes from time to time but I've always enjoyed what I have eaten here. The melon & fruit salad starters with sorbet are always yummy too! :)

• hevbell's Profile Photo

The West Kirk: EAT WHERE MY PARENTS GOT MARRIED!

West Kirk

A JD Wetherspoons place in the centre of Ayr.
    This obviously used to be a church and was actually where my parents got married some 30 years ago!
    It has a small beer garden at the front which is unusual in Ayr and a nice break from the shopping on a summers day. Its also the only pub in town that I can persuade my mum to go to!

Favorite Dish: They have a pretty wide ranging menu with loads to chose from. I like the burgers and the chicken pasta alfredo & 5 bean Chilli

• MartinSelway's Profile Photo

Cecchini's: Italian Restaurant

by MartinSelway Updated Oct 4, 2005

The place looked good and so we returned for their pre-theatre menu 6-7pm @ £6.96 for 2 courses. Its a family run place, and they originate from Tuscany. They also have a place in Troon just up the road.

When we arrived we recived a rather stuffy "have you booked?" which surprised us as there was hardly anyone in the place! They managed to squeeze us in but said we would have to be out by 8pm - fair enough. I later saw couple arriving who had booked who wanted to sit in a particular part of the restaurant be told they had to go where the staff wanted the to sit! It seemed like they had a pre-determined seating plan and were not about to change it just to please the customers!

We then discovered that the pre-theatre special applied only to 2 starters, and we wanted pizza, so that was out. We all had pizza and found the food and house wine to be good.

Shame about the stuffy service.

Favorite Dish: Vegetarian Pizza option £7 each.

All things considered, I think in hindsight I would have gone to the down market Italian across the road who were offering 3 courses for £5.95 5-7pm midweek. You live and learn!

Instant Answers: Ayr

Comments

Ayr Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ayr restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ayr sightseeing.