Friendly Locals, Glasgow

Know about this? Rate It!

• L to r.Natasha,nl,me,Eva and chris swiss.
    L to r.Natasha,nl,me,Eva and chris...
    Eva and me
    by cooltomjapan
    Axel ,Natasha, and me in courtyard bbq.
  • cooltomjapan's Profile Photo

effort made for solo travellers

by cooltomjapan Written Sep 11, 2006

L to r.Natasha,nl,me,Eva and chris swiss.

Favorite thing: A couple of hours after booking in to the Globetrottrs i had been introduced by name ,country and even length of stay and forward destination to over 15 other independent travellers in the hostel. We ate bbq. food and drank theGlobetrotters iced tea,except it was not iced and tasted far better.
    Individual travellers get put into smaller dorms with other solo travellers and i met more people in my first evening here then 5 days in Edinburgh.People see you with a map and stop to help
    They look after strangers very well.

Fondest memory: friendlieness and spirit of now and fun

• IanMacPhail's Profile Photo

Consulting maps

by IanMacPhail Written Mar 31, 2006

Favorite thing: More and more visitors seem to come to Glasgow and one of the funny things is seeing them trying to read maps in a busy street.
    Be assured, locals don`t mind you asking them how to find a place, Glasgow people are still intrigued that foreign visitors come here at all. In fact I think that there are wardens in the city centre (in red) whose job it is to make sure you find that place.
    Use care and be sensible but remember, you are never lost in Glasgow

• Museum Visits

• Top of the pile

by Eric1977 Written Jan 22, 2004

Favorite thing: . What can you say about Glasgow that hasn't been said. Firstly the trendiest city in Britain and some of the best nightlife. The people here are unbelievable, the most friendly and open people I have ever had the pleasure of encountering. Being Irish and our supposed reputation for 'the craic' we are miles behind Glaswegians and their approach to life. They have mastered the balance of a busy work life and a fantastic social life. If I have one regret in life is not accepting my place at Strathclyde University and choosing Aberdeen instead. You can walk in to any pub and find yourself in amazing conversations within minutes.

Some may say it doesn't possess the aesthetic beauty of Edinburgh, b****x take a look at the cathedral, the university and in and around George square.

My all time favourite place, only thing that could make it better is the legalisation of certain herbs.

Fondest memory: Too many to recount but the people are what make it so special.

• hevbell's Profile Photo

FRIENDLY PEOPLE

by hevbell Updated Nov 3, 2003

Necropolis

Fondest memory: Glaswegians are well known for their friendliness and I certainly found this to be the case. While wandering around the Necropolis one of the guys cutting the grass stopped to chat and gave me loads of advice [and directions!] on where I should go while I was there and then was telling me all about his nephew who was working in my home town!

• rayvan's Profile Photo

people's place

by rayvan Updated Nov 12, 2002

Favorite thing: The most interesting thing about Glasgow are the people that live there.

Glaswegians are very down to earth and very friendly (unlike ppl from Edinburgh) and they will always help you out if you need some information (sometimes they'll help you a bit too much,but that is another story).

Fondest memory: My fondest memories are the lone piper who was practising for the world piping championships under my hotel window after arriving in the city and watching the sun set over the city from the flag pole in Queens park (not advisable anymore as it is now a dodgy palce after dark)

• If you require information...

by willbur Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: If you require information please contact me and I will be happy to assit in any way I can.
    I am a retired poilce officer (now with some time on my hands) and have a good knowledge of the City and the West of Scotland, having travelled to most areas.
    Of course my knowledge is commensurate with my age but I have a Son (also a cop) who works the City Centre.

Fondest memory: The ordinary Glaswegian. The vast majority of the population are outgoing, friendly and in the main honest, although like every other large City we have our share of 'bad apples.'
    The Glaswegians love people to visit their City and will go out of their way to make them welcome.

• billpav's Profile Photo

Visit car park in nearby...

by billpav Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit car park in nearby Campsie hills above Lennoxtown for stunning view of the city, followed by a tour of the various free to enter museums and art galleries throughout the city. Many great theatres and live music spots.

Fondest memory: The people are among the friendliest in the world, surprising for such a big city and Glasgows rep as a mean city is grossly exaggerated.

• GO AND SEE THE MIGHTY GERS...

by noname3 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: GO AND SEE THE MIGHTY GERS (RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB) AT THE MAGNIFICENT IBROX STADIUM, WHERE I WORSHIP THE GREAT GOD ADVOCAAT EVERY OTHER SATURDAY !!!

Fondest memory: THE FRIENDLY PEOPLE - PEOPLE IN GLASGOW ARE THE MOST ACCOMMODATING THAT I HAVE EVER MET, AND I'M NOT JUST SAYING THAT BECAUSE I LIVE THERE, MANY MANY PEOPLE OVER THE YEARS HAVE SAID THE SAME THING. YOU'RE NEVER ALONE WITH A GLASWEGIAN!!

• Bagillbaer's Profile Photo

Study the sociology of todays...

by Bagillbaer Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Study the sociology of todays trendy youngsters in front of the Gallery of Modern Art.

Fondest memory: They listened to classical music at times... I was quite surprised...

Instant Answers: Glasgow