Cathouse, Glasgow

15 Union Street 0141 248 6606

Know about this? Rate It!

• Cathouse
    by 10110
  • ange_famine's Profile Photo

Cathouse: Cathouse

by ange_famine Written May 9, 2008

Pros: the Cathouse is a concert hall, and hosts bands ranging from punk to true black metal.
    As a concert hall, only the first floor is open to the public, making it a small but manageable venue. The sound is not that bad and it brings great bands in an easy to find location (just under central station.

Cons: It is quite dire as a nightclub and they are not tight enough on ID checks. Understand: if you're a teacher, you should expect to see your pupils there.
    They have two rooms open most nights, the second floor playing more nu-metal/electro sounds.
    If you're a metalhead or a goth from abroad, do not go there, it is very commercial and the audience is trendy.

Dress Code: Do not bother dressing up

• Study Abroad

• Rojo72's Profile Photo

Cathouse: The craziest club I've been to!

by Rojo72 Written Aug 7, 2004

OK, I'll admit right away that I don't usually "Live on the dge" when it comes to clubbing, so this statement might not be very correct to YOU, but: this was the craziest (and one of the funnier) clubs I've ever been to!

The Cathouse is a two story nightclub, wgich my Glasgowian friend had described as a metal-place before going there, and well....maybe it was, but not THAT hard. Well, the upper floor is certainly harder than the lower floor, but still toatally managable for someone like my who isn't at all a goth rocker, and almost not a hard rocker at all.

I liked the lower floor a little better though. They play all kinds of harder rock there. Don't expect to hear and slow dances or anything, you're in for a training excercise!

One thing me and Ronny (me friend from work) thought to notice however was that the girls in the place all seemd rather young (like 18-23 or something), while the men we're in all aged (up to around 35-40).

And do remember to wear light clothes, as the place is so hot and sweaty that anything more than a one-layer outfit will possible kill you...

Go there! You'll definately have a blast!

The admission fee was £6 I think when we were there, which was a saturday. And we didn't get home until 4 AM so we had a great time!

Dress Code: ANYTHING. We saw goth rockers in leather coats and body piercings, girls in very (VERY!) short skirt and some kind of strange bras/tops, men in jeans and t-shirt (that's we're we fit in!), old school hard-rockers in jeans vests etc etc etc.

• Jinglis's Profile Photo

Cathouse: Darker side of clubbing in Glasgow

by Jinglis Written Jul 4, 2004

This is my preferred club in Glasgow for many reasons. The music caters for all fans of rock/punk/hip-hop/metal, but you don't have to be a fan to enjoy the music either. A rock tune might follow a hip-hop tune and then back again, for example, so it is quite varied. To get in you can expect to pay between nothing (if you get a pass at one of the rock pubs in the town, e.g. Rufus T Firefly's and Solid Rock Cafe and get in before midnight), to £5 (especially on a weekend, and after a certain time. Drinks prices are quite varied, but thankfully my drink of choice, JD and coke, is always reasonable at £1.80. Since Glasgow's licencing laws were restricted last year, banning drinks promotions, expect to pay a little more than you might have before, at around £1.50-£2.40 per drink.

Dress Code: Another great thing is that there is no dress code and no snobbish bouncers on the door turning you away for unfair reasons. Remember some form of ID, e.g. passport, student card, driving licence.

• 10110's Profile Photo

Cathouse: Cathouse

by 10110 Written Aug 26, 2002

one of Glasgow's only rock/punk/metal clubs, nice colourful design, blacklights, 2 floors of good music, live bands on some nights, cheap drinks on Thursday nights, varied crowd...

Dress Code: none