Solid Rock Cafe, Glasgow

Hope Street

Know about this? Rate It!

• ange_famine's Profile Photo

Solid Rock Cafe: Solid Rock Cafe

by ange_famine Written May 9, 2008

The Solid Rock Cafe seems to be an institution in Glasgow. No matter what we say, it is THE meeting point of people from all ages and walks of life who happen to love rock music.
    Do not expect to hear hard metal or underground goth sounds, here. Think more Metallica, Rage against the Machine, Clutch, Iron Maiden, ... black metal and death metal are a one track happening on demand.
    Though it is packed on a Saturday, it is actually a nice place to meet with your friends and you can chose to go downstairs for more privacy.
    The staff is also very nice and polite (oh, and quick).

Special events take place throughout the year (birthday special, barbeque, regulars' night). I must say that the Christmas lunch is a wonder, for only £15. But then again the food is delicious all year long (served until 6.30).

Dress Code: Don't bother dressing up

• Study Abroad
    • Music

• devzo's Profile Photo

Solid Rock Cafe: Embarrasing situation

by devzo Written Apr 3, 2007

I was once drunk in this pub and went to take a seat. Unfortunately I missed the seat and landed on one of the wobbly tables instead. As a result the drinks of me and my friend as well as several drinks belonging to strangers went flying into the air and came crashing down to earth alongside me and the table. It was quite a sight and not long after i was escorted off the premises. I never returned for several months as I was too embarrassed.

Dress Code: A code and two pair of plans. There is no dress code for this tip.

• Whale Watching
    • Birdwatching
    • Seniors

• Solid Rock Cafe: Rockers Haven

by kittracat Written Mar 1, 2007

This was recommended to us as the best pub in Glasgow. We were not disappointed. If you are a loud rock music lover, you cannot beat the ambience of this unique place. I just wish there were more like it. Dark, heaving with people, the air full of very loud rock/metal music. Friendly fellow drinkers and bar staff. There is a very mixed clientele..goths, emos, punk, metals, rockers, all ages and all types. Drinks well priced but you may have to fight your way to the bar and wait for service. Great place for people watching! Most seem to pop in here before going off to live gigs elsewhere or going to the Cathouse as this pub closes at midnight.

Dress Code: Wear exactly what you like - the more alternative the better.

• Trains