The Garage, Glasgow

490 Sauchiehall Street

Know about this? Rate It!

The Garage
    by tvor
  • The Garage: Unfortunate to see in the UK!

by thisisnad Written Feb 3, 2014

Three of us were driving across Scotland for a week, and ended up in Glasgow on Sat, 1st Feb eve. So, we decided to go out to one of the few places that our host in the hotel suggested. However, we were refused entry into this one to start with on some excuse of guestlist only or some special student event happening. Even though, speking to several locals and regular people there at the entrance it appeared none of them were aware of any special event happening that night!
    I wouldn't go as far to say that, we were refused entry because of our look (we were smartly dressed though), or skin colour! I've lived in London for over 10 years, one of my friend in Wales for 7 years with third friend travelling in the UK for few weeks. I've to say, this is a treatment I'd probably expect in Russia, Ukraine or countries there, certainly not in London, or even in UK. I'm afraid, but I feel there are pockets of Scotland, especially Glasgow I don't think yet have been able to embrace fully the diversity of culture and race that UK is proud of. This club is certainly one of them. Being a big city, and living in London this was very unexpected and unpleasant experience, and I'd really hope some areas of Scotland, especially Glasgow would go beyond the look, race and these shllowness to unite everyone from all background as one. This is even more imperative now that Glasgow2014 is knocking at the door.
    Being refused entry in two out of three places only because I look different and talk with an accent is not what I want to see in the UK I've been living in; and clubs like Garage should make a start as they have some way to go to embrace a positive culture.
    Nad

• The Garage: The Bouncers

by clairesanderson Written Sep 17, 2007

I went to Glasgow for the weekend with my boyfriend to meet up with my friend for her 21st birthday. A few people told me to go to this club as its supposed to be great. When me and my boyfriend approached the bouncers on saturday night they refused us entry for no reason, then continued to let other people in and ignored us. We stood outside for a few minutes and they were also refusing other people for being in "groups" when there was only two of them!!!

very disappointing

• cadja's Profile Photo

The Garage: Student Meatmarket

by cadja Written May 3, 2004

When I lived in Glasgow I heard a common joke about The Garage: "If you have a driving license you won't come in. You're too old."

"All" students go there, and being a student in Scotland means 17-20 years of age. So it's perfect for teen-travellers.

They play the usual chart music, the guests get incredibly pissed and the odds for being hit on is - money back.

I was only there once (being 10 years older than most in there I felt a bit lost) but for younger people looking for a partner (for the night/for a snog/for a dance) it's supposed to be alright.

Funny enough, "everyone" talked badly about the place but "everyone" went there.... hm.

Dress Code: Ironically?
    Boys - whatever t-shirt you can find and a pair of jeans.
    Girls - the less the better... (it seems)

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

• tvor's Profile Photo

The Garage: Rock on

by tvor Written May 5, 2003

The Garage

This is a nice sized venue on Sauchihall Street that features a variety of live acts from rock to kick ass music that isn't for the faint of heart. Find it by locating the big truck stuck on the front of the building (see photo). Can be a bit younger university age crowd. Not canned dance music as a rule. I saw a punk band live there but i think they have a variety of acts.

Dress Code: none

• Ruthy2001's Profile Photo

There are a great deal of...

by Ruthy2001 Written Aug 25, 2002

There are a great deal of 'cool' places to spend an evening in Glasgow, you are spoilt for choice in many ways...but to truly understand understand where most young people in Glasgow had to start out a visit to the infamous GARAGE is a must..cheesy, studenty, grubby, tacky would all be good words to describe the place but so also would relaxed, good fun and entertaining!

The music ranges from Lulu to Emenem and the age ranges from (lets be honest!) 17 and upwards. The thing that is most frustrating about the Garage is the bouncers - its almost as if they have an inbuilt radar which detects when you are no longer a student!!

My fondest memory of the Garage recently is being at a Proclaimers concert (a great band incidentally!) the place was packed and oozing good vibes, what a great venue..

• Glasgow is a top city for...

by lovelylass Written Aug 24, 2002

Glasgow is a top city for clubbing it in, with clubs to suit everyone. Theres the usual Student Unions offering drink for pennies, chance to eye up the uni talent. For those who are not student there other clubs depending on your music interest. If your a dance music kinda person there such clubs as the Arches, The Tunnel, Archaos. The are gay clubs to being the Polo Lounge, Bennets. If your like me and like the usual chart music and a little bit of cheesy pop then Fury Murrays and my favourite the Garage are the place to be.

The Garage is the place to go its studenty and play music for everyone from your Abba to your Robbie to your Stones Rose and the lastest chart and dance tunes.

Dress Code: The Garage dress code depends on which night you go Fridays and Saturdays i would say are more of a dressier night you know smart but casual. Any other night is whatever you feel comfortable.

Instant Answers: Glasgow