Places to eat in Glasgow

coffee

Most Viewed Restaurants in Glasgow

Tea Room at the Botanics: Afternoon Coffee

by gordonilla Written Aug 31, 2014

It was a wonderfully sunny afternoon and we certainly needed a seat after walking around the hot houses. There was one down side, there were many pigeons and after people left their seats they descended - apart from that the service was great and it was a pleasant place to sit and relax.

Favorite Dish: Good menu and offers a number of levels of service throughout the day.

Signage Exterior (1) Exterior (2) Exterior (3) Poetry Post Box

NYC Bar & Restaurant: Burgers and Hot Dogs

by gordonilla Written Aug 31, 2014

We were looking for something different and we decided upon NYC. The staff were friendly and food, a rather mixed menu and they also had many reserved tables. They had a lot of Champions League fans easting and drinking when we were there.

Favorite Dish: The chicken strips were excellent and the burgers were acceptable.

Exterior (1) Exterior (2) Interior Chicken Strips Burger and Fries

Di Maggio's: Italian-American Food Glasgow Style

by gordonilla Written Aug 31, 2014

We decided to eat here; and although I had eaten here previously, I thought I would try it again. Sadly this visit was slightly similar to my last dining experience. However my partner enjoyed their choice.

The service was fast and there is a good atmosphere.

It is part of a chain and they have a number of outlets across Glasgow.

Signage Exterior Interior (1) Interior (2) Interior (3)

Chippy doon the Lane: Sit in chippy

by gordonilla Written Aug 30, 2014

The location was a little run down, however the interior is well presented and modern.

The service was good and they have a pleasant menu; although if you do not eat fish a little limited.

The pie I had was poor but the chips were excellent.

Favorite Dish: The standard offerings from the chippy!

Exterior (1) Exterior (2) Interior (1) Interior (2) Steak Pie Supper

Fratelli Sarti: A Glasgow Italian

by gordonilla Updated Aug 30, 2014

This is an excellent restaurant, one of a chain. They are specialists in Italian food and wine; they are also licensed grocers and caffe bar.

Booking is recommended! This is one of a small chain, and I have now been to two of them. The staff are very good and the menu is excellent.

Favorite Dish: I have had a number of items from the menu - the pastries and coffee are excellent.

Exterior (1) Exterior (2) Interior coffee Cannoli

Bombay Blues: Indian Delights

by gordonilla Written Mar 14, 2014

Every visit I make to Glasgow, I make the point of visiting Bombay Blues. The food is excellent and the staff very friendly and professional.

It is busy most days, and offers an "à la carte" menu and a buffet.

Favorite Dish: Try the spicy onions with your poppadums.

I always take one of the biryani dishes as my main course plus a roti

Exterior Interior (1) Interior (2) Signage Chicken Biryani

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Saramago Café Bar: In the heart of contemporary art!

by gordonilla Written Mar 14, 2014

I had spent the day out, and was looking for some where to have a rest and a coffee. I had seen the CCA when I was on the sight seeing bus, and now found my self outside - so dropped in for a coffee and cake.

Interior (1) Interior (2) Interior (3) Thinking it over! Placing an order!

The wee Guy's: Deli just off George Square

by gordonilla Updated Mar 6, 2014

I just stopped for coffee; however it seems that the café has a lot to offer and is well known for it's all day breakfasts.

It is also owned by the same people who own Guy's restaurant and bar at Candleriggs in the Merchant City.

Signage Exterior Interior (1) Interior (2) Interior (3)

La Vita: Another fine Italian

by gordonilla Written Mar 6, 2014

This was a spur of the moment thought for a venue to eat, It had been a long day and I was quite hungry. I have passed it a number of times and thought it was time to enter and try the menu!

Favorite Dish: Chicken Milanese, chips and salad

There is a good and reasonably priced menu. Good staff, very attentive.

Exterior Interior (1) Interior (2) My main course

Jamie's Italian: Delicious Italian

by kehale Written Jan 26, 2014

As of anything Jamie Oliver does, this restaurant was fabulous! Every bite we took was perfect, and we love that he always keeps it simple by delicious! The only actual item I remember that we ordered was the delicious fried ravioli! Was so delicious and the great way to start our meal. Not surprising, it seems the menu is seasonal so certain items will be rotated based on what is fresh and in season (what he is all about).

The atmosphere is perfect, very casual but you could always go a little more dressed up (we did!) and still feel totally comfortable. The location is even more perfect, right in George Square. We enjoyed some drinks, dinner and shared a dessert before making our way back towards our hotel. We had lots of time and managed to stop at a few places for drinks a long the way.

We were definitely excited to eat at Jamie's restaurant and not one second of the experience disappointed. The food, the service, the atmosphere was all perfect! If you're looking for something a little more light and healthy than a lot of the other food's you will find in Glasgow, I highly recommend paying Jamie's a visit! The food was also very affordable!

Fried Ravioli - Great starter!

• johnaalex's Profile Photo

Rogano: Superb seafood in an art deco setting

by johnaalex Updated Oct 8, 2013

This place has been around since the 1930's and thank fully the decor has hardly changed.

The quality of the food I had was first class in all respects and the service matched the food.

Favorite Dish: I had scallops with pancetta as a starter. On the menu they are listed as seared, but my request for them to be cooked more throughly was not a problem and they were prepared exactly as I wanted. For the main I had the lemon sole which is one of their signature dishes. Again cooked pefcetly with a sumptuous sauce which really set the meal off. Afraid I was too stuffed to have a dessert.

• kehale's Profile Photo

Rose & Grants: Go for the Coffee, Stay for the Food!

by kehale Written Sep 22, 2013

Rose and Grants Trongate location was right across the street from hotel. I had read great things about it before we arrived in Glasgow so knew we had to give it a try. Our first visit was for an early lunch on a Monday morning, and from the moment we walked into the quaint coffee shop I was smitten. We each ordered sandwiches for lunch (as we were too early for their delicious sounding baked potatoes), and they were fabulous! The bread was so soft and fresh and everything was perfect, served with small side salads. Their coffee's were great, and they were what convinced us to go back for breakfast on our final morning. Again, we were not disappointed - I ordered the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon with toast! Absolutely delicious and the perfect start to our long journey home. I still think about Rose & Grants and wish I could pop back in for a morning coffee like the steady stream of locals we watched while we enjoyed both of our meals here! Definitely make a visit... even if you just grab a coffee and a yummy treat to go!

Esca: A Cozy Place for Italian

by kehale Written Sep 12, 2013

Esca was one of the first restaurants we booked for our honeymoon in Glasgow. I had signed up for a deal of the day website, and when Esca popped up as just down the street from our hotel we figured we would give it a shot. We are both so glad that we did. Our voucher gave us a bottle of wine to share and each a pasta dish of our choice. For a bottle of house wine we were both very pleased with the quality of it. Our dinner's were fantastic as well. I wish that my Gnocchi had a bit more pasta and less meat sauce, but overall the taste was fantastic. My husband had ordered a salmon pasta - his favourite dish, and he was very pleased with it as well. We shared a tiramisu for dessert and it was delicious! So glad we opted for a dessert on our first night in the city! Eating here was definitely a great start to trip to Glasgow!

The restaurant is small, but it just makes it feel cozy. The decor is great and the girls who served us were fantastic.

• kehale's Profile Photo

Indian Cottage: Fantastic Indian!

by kehale Written Sep 7, 2013

We actually found Indian Cottage through a deal of the day website called Itison. We ordered one of the meal specials which included Poppadoms and spiced onions to share, a curry each and a rice or naan each and each a glass of wine or bottle of beer. We enjoyed everything that came as part of the deal and used that Naan to completely clean our plates.

Since our favourite starter at Indian restaurants is Onion Bhaji, my husband asked about them and our server told us they could make us some. We really loved them and the dipping sauce they sent out. We were glad to spend the extra money and include them in our delicious meal!

At the end I had just enough room to order their Banoffee Pot for dessert! It was fantastic! Even my husband who does not like banana or anything flavoured banana, thought it was quite nice.

We had hoped to go back again for lunch, but unfortunately we ran out of time. I hope we can send some people in the direction of this newer restaurant since we really enjoyed everything about it!

• spocklogic's Profile Photo

Rab Ha's: Great place with a Scottish taste

by spocklogic Written Aug 26, 2013

As the restaurant tells the story, here is the reported legend of Rab Ha, for which the place is named (a humorous tale of excess to be sure taken from the website):

"Born over 150 years ago, Robert Hall, or 'Rab Ha' as he is better known now, was a rotund man who made a living from eating. His appetite earned him the title 'Glesca Glutton', and was celebrated throughout the west of Scotland. Originally a farm laborer, he abandoned settled employment and chose the life of the vagrant after his mother threw him out for eating her “oot o’ hoose ’n hame”. Many would pay to watch him devour tables of food, and he also made money from winning various gluttonous competitions such as pie eating. It was in this field that he became more widely known. He beat the ‘Yorkshire Pudding’, an English glutton of great renown. So great was his appetite that no one who wagered on his gastronomic powers were likely to lose. In fact it is recorded that he was only beaten once, and by a most curious dish - “a saucerful of oysters mixed with cream and ground lump sugar”.

Anyway, it's got a fancy and smart looking bar and has a real pub atmosphere with wooden tables for drinking or dining. True to my Scottish whimsey for a meal, I chose the Haggis, Neeps and Tatties. It was my first try for the Haggis and tasty though it be, it's a bit gritty, but when mixed with the Neeps (mashed turnips) and tatties (mashed potatoes) it is really quite excellent on the palate. I was suitably impressed in trying this dish as an experiment in something traditionally Scottish. I recommend trying it!

Rab Ha's was just the right experience I was hoping for in something with a Scottish taste. Good draught beer on tap too - cold in a tall glass - perfect way to wind down a day of touring. The place is actually a hotel with attached bar and restaurant and hails itself as a "Hidden gem in the heart of the Merchant City". Well I may not have found it on my own, but fortunately we had Ian as a local Glaswegian to guide us here, so I may tend to agree. I may be overzealous, but I give it the full 5 stars because it was excellent and just the Scottish experience in taste I was looking for.

Favorite Dish: Haggis, Neeps and Tatties - My first experience and pleasingly surprised it was quite delicious.

Rab Ha's street view Rab Ha's menu Bar area Restaurant area Haggis, Neeps & Tatties

Glasgow Hotels

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Etap Hotel Glasgow
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Glasgow

Comments

Glasgow Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Glasgow locals.
Map of Glasgow