Inveraray Restaurants

Oyster Bar al Fresco - Summer take away

Best Rated Restaurants in Inveraray

Furnace Inn: A seat by the fire

by scottishvisitor Updated Apr 4, 2011

We travelled the road often between Tarbert and Inveraray and spotted the staggered signs by the road side for this eatery - it had a take on the Master Card advert in the form of signs stating = Starter £1.50 - Main Course £4.50 - dessert £2.50 - seat by the fire - free! Well the fire was unlit, it was a warm spring and the prices advertised were their lowest. We were sucked in by the advertising on one occassion and enjoyed all this traditional inn had to offer. Service was friendly and efficient and the bar area was busy with locals and contracted workers all happily engaged in conversation. I'm glad clever but simple advertising led us to the Furnace Inn - a place where you felt relaxed and refreshed and fully satisfied = it is no wonder we discovered the little squirrel knocking on the door here!

Favorite Dish: I didn't feel particularly hungy so opted for the starter which was a little more expensive than the advertised price! I chose the prawn cocktail with salad and brown bread, most times I avoid prawns but these were cold water, local prawns, plump and delicious with a freshly landed taste which went well with the salad and wholesome brown bread = just enough for me. Kenny had a gammon steak and all the trimmings which he enjoyed to the full. Not a bad stop for a fill up - we both were happy here

• Travel with Pets

The Cottage Restaurant: Not the fanciest but good food

by scottishvisitor Updated Sep 16, 2009

As its name suggest this restaurant was housed in what was once a little cottage who's rooms have been turned into one long room. Tables were set on either side and there were lots of little nick nacks decorating this place. I did love their backwards clock and caused quite a stir with the other diners when I excitedly commented on it and took a photo - well its not everyday you see a clock with numbers the wrong way round and the hands turning backwards. Service was from a little hatch so I didn't expect much but we weren't disappointed with its simple and friendly style.

Favorite Dish: What this place lacks in glamour it more than makes up for this with its good home cooked food. I had chicken fillets with chips and a fruity side salad. Kenny enjoyed his chicken burger on a wholemeal bap with chips and a fresh lemon dressed side salad. A nice comfortable place for lunch or if you prefer breakfast or dinner too

Argyll Hotel: A Nice Resting Place

by scottishvisitor Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Argyll Hotel is an old traditional hotel with a very modern interior. We stopped here to have a drink in their spacious comfortable lounge. We settled ourselves and relaxed a while on the huge green leather couches to enjoy a drink from the bar and read some of the complimentary newspapers. We did look around this hotel - their restaurant looked inviting as did their supper menu. It was too early for us to order supper but we had already had a big lunch so we were happy to take a rest and be refreshed before our journey back to Tarbert.

• tracylacie's Profile Photo

Brambles: Wonderful Full Scottish Breakfast

by tracylacie Updated May 31, 2006

A variety of local dishes, the restaurant is decorated with local artwork and old photographs. There is even a garden area. On some saturday nights they even have local music.

Would advice reservations on Saturday Night it seems very popular with the locals

Favorite Dish: The full scottish breakfast is wonderful. If you don't like trying new and different things I wouldn't eat the Black Pudding....I tried it and it wasn't bad....but, not for the faint of heart!

• tracylacie's Profile Photo

The George Hotel: Must have dinner here!

by tracylacie Written May 31, 2006

This restraunt should be given an award....it was the best food I had in Scotland!! The menu offers a variety of meals at a reasonable to expensive price....but, worth every pound....both monetary and weight wise....!!!!

I would suggest reservations on weekends especially in the summer months!

Favorite Dish: They offer a wonderful Chicken dish with spinach and pasta!!! The Lamb is wonderful as well!!

• Castles and Palaces

• DAO's Profile Photo

THE GEORGE HOTEL: GASTROPUB AND GREAT BAR

by DAO Updated Oct 9, 2012

KING SCALLOPS AT THE GEORGE - INVERARY

I came across this really cool gastropub, bar, beer garden when I was having a very long day. My satnav in my car had taken me the worn way and I had to drive over 400 miles in 11 day instead of 200. On top of that there were signs north of Inverary telling me the road would close in about 1 hour. I was driving south! When I walked into the George I was impressed. It’s very dark and old worldly. Lots of stone, 4 large fireplaces and original wood features. The George was originally 2 houses built in 17770. It really is stepping back in time inside. They still use the fireplaces as well.

I was greeted warmly and I explained my long day and need to get served quickly. They also knew the road would close and I would be 35 miles on the wrong side of my hotel. They were very helpful and I chose 2 great sounding dishes. The whole menu looked delicious. When my starter came, I was surprised at the size of the scallops. Absolutely beautiful to look at and eat. My main course was fillet of pork on a mushroom risotto. Absolutely succulent meat and a very tasty dish. Because I still had miles to drive I had to pass on a great looking wine list and even a nice dram of whiskey. This was equally hard because of just how ell stocked and inviting the bar looked.

Considering I was in a hurry, I enjoyed my great meal, even if I was drinking diet coke.

The George has won at least one award and does change its menu. They source their beef and lamb from the West Highlands. Seafood is fresh from the nearby port of Tarbert and their salmon is from Loch Fyne – about 100 meters away! They have over 100 single malt whiskeys and real ales to wash down your very good quality food.

Food is from 12 noon to 9pm

Favorite Dish:
    I had a fantastic meal. My starter and main meal were described like this on the menu:
    Starter - Pan fried king scallops served on a bed of cauliflower emulsion, grilled chorizo and rocket.
    Main - Roasted Ayrshire pork fillet served on a bed of wild mushroom and sage risotto with cider jus, seared spinach and grilled streaky bacon.

I wish I had not been driving. The wine and whiskey list looked great. I had a diet coke.

• Business Travel

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Loch Fyne Oyster Bar and Tree Shop etc: Two Restaurants and a day out!

by Flying.Scotsman Written Oct 9, 2010
    The Rest and Be Thankful viewpoint

If you are looking for a day out from Glasgow where you can eat at a high class restaurant, see beautiful mountain scenery, beautiful coastal scenery, visit a brewery, and buy a tree, you should visit the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar and Tree shop near Cairndow, Loch Fyne near Inveraray. The Oyster Bar itself, is a moderately expensive dining room, which, in 2004, hosted a secret meeting between Godon Brown and John Prescott. For us lesser mortals and those wanting a lighter meal, there is the cafe in the Ardkinglas Tree Shop right next door. They have home made soup, local smoked salmon rolls and sandwiches, home baking, fair trade organic coffee, and even biodegradeable cutlery! There is also a gift shop, and the "Here We Are" centre behind the tree shop. This is a community centre with local history displays and is used as a study centre for Argyll College. There is a micro brewery a few minutes' drive away (or a medium walk) and even a tree house a short walk up the hill behind the Oyster Bar. On nice days in summertime, the Oyster Bar opens a take away kiosk. If this isn't enough, the scenery getting here is amazing! The Rest and Be Thankful must be one of the most beautiful viewpoints in Scotland.

• Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Inveraray

Comments

Inveraray Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Inveraray restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Inveraray sightseeing.