Inveraray Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Inveraray

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Stable Gallery: A small gallery

by ettiewyn Written Jul 11, 2012

This was the most unique shop I found in Inveraray, and even if I did not buy anything there, I enjoyed my browse. There are many different pictures, mostly watercolours by local artists which show scenes of the region. Some look very traditional, some take a more different approach. You can also buy prints, postcards and other stationary. The originals of course have their price, but other things seemed to be very affordable.

The gallery is located in a nice historical building, a converted stable.

Sweet Memories: Sweets Old Fashioned & Still Popular

by scottishvisitor Updated Sep 15, 2009

If you remember back to your childhood a sweetie shop crammed full of deliciously tempting boiled sweets trapped in glass jars then this shop is for you. The many shelves are lined top to bottom with jars and jars of old favourites. The choice of sweets is endless and I felt again like a kid in a candy shop not really knowing what to choose because the choice was so endless. If I had been a child I would have considered what I could afford - but as an adult I was more reserved - I do know what sugar can do to your teeth! With this in mind I do wonder what happened to the tray which the old lady held with mock sweets which I saw on a previous visit = apparently she didn't loose her teeth only her tray!

What to buy: I could list my favourites but the list would be too long = visit here and decide your own favourite sweetie! For a small bag of boilings you could expect to pay about 60 pence

• Travel with Pets

Purdies of Argyll: Organic Handmade Products

by scottishvisitor Updated Sep 15, 2009

Just passing the open door of this shop is enough to entice you inside. The delicate smells of flowers and herbs emitting from the many candles and bath products made my nose direct my feet inside. Here I found all of my favourite things including some great skin care products all organic and natural.

What to buy: I bought two tinned candles with sparkly bits on top one was angel gorse which I kept for myself - how I do love this smell and the other was candy floss which I knew Lorna would love. I also bought some pieces of handmade soap perfumed by lemon grass and tangerine.

What to pay: Prices are reasonable and the quality is first class. I know where I will be Christmas shopping this year maybe not in person but online - their site is worth a look.

• Travel with Pets

Highland Arts: Get your 'Hey Jimmy Hat' here

Tartan Trews

We saw a few of this small chain of shops during our trip. They all advertise their main shop and gallery on the Isle of Seil and are a real tourist magnet. All sorts of Scottish gimmicky things are sold here. One popular item is the 'Hey Jimmy Hat' which assumes every male in Scotland is called James and a lot are. The hat is a tartan bonnet with red hair attached. On our departure from the town I did see some tourist sporting these hats and did wonder would they really want their friends to see them dressed like this!

Scotch Corner: Tourist Tat a plenty

by scottishvisitor Updated Sep 15, 2009

For no apparent reason this shop had a 'no photography' sign clearly displayed. Ironically I had gone in to see if they had a camera chip. I asked the lady if she had camera chips and yes she did have one which fitted my camera. While we were chatting I asked about the no photography rule and she was as baffled as me. The shop was stuffed full of all kinds of tourist tat which seems to be popular and some useful stuff too.

What to buy: I had no reason to buy any of the many souvenirs but visitors from overseas would probably find something to amuse them. I did buy the camera chip and was a bit surprised when it turned out to be about the same price as any other shop. So no hiked prices here

Loch Fyne Whiskies: If you like Whiskey this is for you

by scottishvisitor Written Nov 10, 2005

Single Malts Galore

This shop had an abundance of rare malts with unpronouncable names. The whiskey usually comes from the Islands of the West Coast hence the Gaelic names. I love the names (will add later) but unfortunatly don't like the drink!!

What to buy: Buy by what name you fancy or price = they are usually expensive.

Apothecary: Great Name = Apothecary

by scottishvisitor Updated Nov 10, 2005

A Pharmacy by any other name

Could not resist this shot! Wow how many times might you see this old fashioned name? You usually see Boots or Super Drug in Scotland but Inverary wins through with this one. For a tiny place like Inverary it beats all others with 4 main streets!!

What to buy: Depends what's ailing you!!

• Rojo72's Profile Photo

Loch Fyne Whiskies: Enormous amounts of whisky

by Rojo72 Written Aug 10, 2004
    Me and Ronny outside Loch Fyne Whiskies

We stumbled upon this absolutely astonishing little shop on the central street of Inveraray. It isn't more than maybe 6 by 5 meters large but the walls are absolutely full of different kinds of whisky. We bought their own local blended brand "Loch Fyne Whisky" and I also bought some gift bottles of different single malts to give away.

There are also marmelades, cakes and stuff with whisky flavour.

A great shop and experience for a tired mind, this was!

What to buy: Whisky!

Instant Answers: Inveraray

Comments

Inveraray Shopping

Reviews and photos of Inveraray shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Inveraray sightseeing.