Island of Mull Restaurants

The Reef, Bunessan
    by nickandchris

Best Rated Restaurants in Island of Mull

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Forster's Home Smoked ...: Finest Smoked Mackerel....

by nickandchris Updated Aug 27, 2006

Raw ingredients

We don't bother going out for meals very often, not even on holiday. We don't take smart clothes and after a few days of wild camping our appearance is non too smart!!!
    The advantage of having our own boat meant that we could catch our own fish which we then smoked. Absolutely delicious.

Obtain one smoker (our's was bought for £35 ish)
    Catch and gut your mackerel.
    Fillet the fish.
    Cover in salt for two hours or so.
    Dry the fish, light the smoker.
    Lay a layer of wood chips in your smoker, place on top of heat and place fish skin side down on the grid.
    Cover with lid and adjust steam vent.
    15 mins later, a delicasy fit for a king.Made even more special by adding cracked black pepper (ground between two stones!) before cooking.

It was very fortunate there were a few people camped on the beach. I gave everyone some smoked mackerel (most said "I don't like mackerel" and then came to tell me how delicious it was!!!) Two families we supplied regularly which meant we could go out fishing again. I now have a large bag of smoked mackerel fillets in the freezer.

Unfortunately I don't have any evidence of the finished product, only the raw ingredients!!!

• Fishing
    • Sailing and Boating

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

The Reef: Local Seafood

by nickandchris Updated Jul 14, 2013

The Reef, Bunessan

2013.This is now a cafe, no longer a seafood place.
    I'm afraid we didn't actually eat here (I was feeling decidedly scruffy after a few days free-camping and had no decent clean clothes fit for a restaurant) but I liked the look of the place.
    This restaurant was taken over as a new enterprise by a fishing family last year and specialises in whatever seafood and fish they catch themselves. They also rear their own Highland beef and lamb.
    Outside is a board with the daily catch listed and from which boat it's come from. These are supplemented by other daily specials as well as a normal menu. It all sounded absolutely delicious and I suppose the prices weren't too outrageous, it's just we are well out of the habit of eating at restaurants.

Open April - Sept and booking is adviseable.

Favorite Dish: Naturally you would have to try the seafood.

• hevbell's Profile Photo

Fish n chip stand: EAT AL FRESCO

by hevbell Updated Jan 5, 2004

Scottish flags

There were a number of cafes and restaurants in the town but since it turned out to be such a nice afternoon I decided I didn't want to waste it sitting indoors. There was a fish and chip stand at the end of the harbour wall, next to the clock tower and since it seemed to be very popular with locals and tourists alike I decided to give it a go.

Favorite Dish: I'm not really one for battered fish so I went for the cheeseburger and a portion of chips - yum!!! Nice chips, good juicy burger and generous helpings!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo

CRAIGNURE INN: Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood!

by mtncorg Written Oct 2, 2007

The Craignure Inn

The pub of the inn serves as the local focal point for social gathering bringing in locals, passersby and many from the nearby campsite. The place was packed every night I was there ensuring great conversation. The food was great, as well, myself quickly digging into local mussels pulled from nearby Loch Spelve. Plenty of other specials to choose from as well - traditional good food.

Favorite Dish: The mussels from nearby Loch Spelve were grand as long as you saved enough room to dip your bread in the juices!

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Macdonald's Arms & The Mishnish: Enjoy the local pubs

by CdnJane Written Nov 10, 2002

What makes either of them so special... not a thing except that they are 2 locals that make you feel at home. In times past, Bobby McLeod used to entertain at the Mishnish, but Bobby is long gone. There is still entertainment I believe on a weekend night.
    Both of these establishments are on the main street of Tobermory, one at either end of the street. Both have their regulars.
    Both serve good pub grub (or they did when I was last there).

Favorite Dish: I've had good bar sandwiches at Macdonald's Arms and a good fish & chips at the Mishnish. I know half the enjoyment was just being in Tobermory.

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Bellachroy Hotel: Bellachroy Hotel

by hayward68 Written Aug 29, 2002

An early 17th century droving inn dating from 1608. It is said to be the longest continuously inhabited building on the Isle of Mull.
    I was here during Isle of Mull Music Festival and it was awesome. Everyone showed up with their instruments and played till the wee hours of the morning. I spent two very fun evenings/early mornings here. They've got a public bar area and a lounge area. You can even sit outside on a nice day.

Favorite Dish: The beer on tap. I kept drinking Tennant's Ember, which was probably why I met a future boyfriend here, I was drunk and introduced myself! lol!

• kat-m's Profile Photo

The Keel Row: Great views from here

by kat-m Written Jul 11, 2011

The Keel Row does a roaring trade, Being the only restaurant near to the Iona ferry it catches all the passing trade and of course is a change from wherever you might be staying nearby. We tried to reserve a table but were told to get there early and then it was a matter of waiting for a table. e arrived around 6.30pm and only waited 30minutes. We were not dissapointed the meal was lovely and was not overpriced given the spectacular location overlooking the beautiful harbour and the view to Iona.

Favorite Dish: We had beef stew served in a giant yorkshire pudding with veg and a side dish of chips .

• Religious Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Island of Mull

Comments

Island of Mull Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Island of Mull restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Island of Mull sightseeing.

View all Island of Mull hotels