Island of Mull Shopping

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Plenty Of Them: Tobermory

by nickandchris Updated Aug 26, 2006

Tobermory

I decided to list Tobermory under "shopping" as for anyone staying on Mull and suffering withdrawal symptoms from retail therapy, this is the place you'll aim for!!!I'm not even going to mention Balamory as I know nothing about the programme but we certainly didn't find it "in our face" although there were some obvious tourist hotspots on the way in to the village.
    We actually didn't buy anything here but just had a wander round on a brilliantly sunny afternoon. It's very picturesque with it's colourful buildings and boats and makes for a good photo on a bright day.
    Shops are a decent mixture of arty crafty gifts and every day items, they'd have to be to serve the locals.
    Tobermory seemed to cater well for diners with pubs, cafes and restaurants.

There are public toilets in the centre, the gents was extremely smelly as I walked past but the ladies was OK. Even toilet paper.
    There is parking along the harbour but there's also a large, free coach and car-park just to the right as you've come down the very steep approach road which is also very central. Well, come on, it's not a big place!!!

I was fully expecting Tobermory to be over-hyped and tourist tatty but was pleasantly suprised, especially being able to park so easily and for free. I must admit, after camping mainly in splendid isolation for the past week, I found the "crowds" in Tobermory a bit much (it wasn't really that busy, just we had become accustomed to our own company.)

• Architecture
    • Sailing and Boating

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Brown's: Licenced Ironmonger ... Interesting combination

by CdnJane Updated Apr 10, 2003

Brown's Carries a Mixture of Products

Brown's jumps out first because of the Blue and White of the outer walls. It is an Ironmonger (Hardware store for us North Americans), with some sporting goods, some automotive items, AND it is a wines & spirits shop. My great aunt used to say that it was the only licenced ironmongers shop in the Hebridean islands that also sold knitting wool! My line has always been that at Brown's you can buy a bottle of whiskey, a hammer and nails and then legally drink & drive! And please, let that be the ONLY way you drive after drinking.
    There is a bank on one side of Brown's, but in years gone by there was another on the other side as well, and the joke was "How is Brown's like the River Clyde?" Answer- "There is a bank on either side."

And yes, I am familiar with Brown's as it has been in the family since approx 1820 when my great-great-grandfather left Ardnamurchan Point lighthouse and bought the shop.

What to buy: Brown's has a great selection of "Scotch", wines and other spirits. There are also many items for the sailer, or for the home.

When my great-grandfather ran the shop (it is now run by the widow of my cousin) they also carried rounds of cheese AND also caskets, which saved those of the islands from having to go to the mainland.

You can also buy a fishing licence here for the lochs.

What to pay: Anywhere from a few pence to several pounds... depends what you are buying.

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Isle of Mull Weavers: Weaving in Style

by hayward68 Written Aug 29, 2002

Isle of Mull Weavers, they weave their own products and you can buy beautiful blankets, scarfs and woolen wear in traditional Scottish designs or in plain colours. I

What to buy: bought a lovely muted green scarf and a cream colour blanket and would have bought a sweater if my budget had allowed it.

Instant Answers: Island of Mull

Comments

Island of Mull Shopping

Reviews and photos of Island of Mull shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Island of Mull sightseeing.

View all Island of Mull hotels