Island of Mull Sports & Outdoors

• 2013 catch, all pollock. Size 12 adult wellie.
    2013 catch, all pollock. Size 12 adult...
    In remembrance......
    by nickandchris
  • Views of the Paps of Jura from our boat...
    Views of the Paps of Jura from our...

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Island of Mull

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Plenty of Fish Out There.....

by nickandchris Updated Jul 14, 2013

2013 catch, all pollock. Size 12 adult wellie.

When we travel to coastral Scotland, we always take our boat with us.We like to fish from the sea lochs (which tend to be calmer than the open sea) as well as the open sea when it is not rough.

Mull certainly proved to be a rewarding place for fishing, we caught many mackerel as well as some large pollock.

Please remember to throw back all undersized fish.

I have to admit we didn't actually see anyone catching anything from the shore or rocks.

Once we had caught sufficient mackerel, I filleted and salted them and then smoked them in our smoker.

2013 we fished on one day only, owing to the constant wind blowing. We caught some large pollock as well as lots of small pollock which we threw back. Disappointingly and worryingly, not a mackerel to be seen. What has happened to them??

Equipment: Beach rods, boat rods, spinners, feathers (my silver coloured feathers seemed to work far better than multi coloured feathers), bucket for the catch, rags to hold the fish with to release from the hooks, filleting knife.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Fishing

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

Fun On The Water

by nickandchris Updated Jul 24, 2012

Kayaking, Uisken Bay.

Obviously Mull is surrounded by sea as well as having a number of sea lochs, all ideal for boating and kayaking.

We are fortunate to own a 3.3 metre inflateable that packs away and fits in our motorhome. It takes us around 30 mins to have it inflated and boarded, then comes the hard work, carrying it down to the water and carrying our 6hp Yamaha outboard.The engine was brand new this year and carrying is made easier by it having a handle both Nick and I can hold at the same type, thus sharing the weight.

We've had the boat (Quicksilver) now for at least ten years and although it rarely gets used other than on our Scottish holidays, we believe it was worth every penny as we get tremendous pleasure from it. I particularly like to go out on the water when it is really calm in the evenings and the light is perfect for spotting seals, as well as porpoises and dolphins. Absolutely fantastic and we have actually had porpoises swimming around us, not to mention the seal that popped up in front of us having taken the mackerel from our hooks!!!

Equipment: Kayaks seemed a popular sport, far more so than sailing dingies. I guess they are more easily transported.

Whatever craft you intend to use, make sure you wear a life jacket.

The memorial pictured here, on a rock in Uisken Bay, is a reminder of how unpredictable the sea is. Please be careful.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Kayaking
    • Beaches

Tour of Mull Car Rally 2

by duncanlbrown Updated Nov 13, 2005

Radio stars, we are

We are now famous celbrity-type media stars - Doug and I were interviewed LIVE on the world-famous Oban FM. I feel like I should be charging you lot $1,000,000 for exclusive rights to my photos from now on.

Tour of Mull Car Rally 3

by duncanlbrown Written Nov 13, 2005

www.teambrowns.co.uk

In spite of my previous weather warnings, the last two years has seen this rally take place in beautiful sunshine - here is a pic of our team all ready to go, that is the 9th hole of Tobermory Golf Course behind them.

Tour of Mull Car Rally

by duncanlbrown Written Aug 30, 2005

This takes place on (usually) the second weekend in October every year - the roads (exepct the main A848 / A849) are closed on Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and Saturday evening for the cars to compete on, being timed to the second.

All the accomodation is booked months in advance and the ferries are jam-packed.

I compete with a friend from Aberdeen, and have done for the last 8 years. Our best finish so far is 6th out of 150 starters.

This is special interest really, but if you are in to Motorsport, it's worth the trip. Weather can be fickle through.

Equipment: Ski jacket
    T-short
    Sun glasses
    Wellies

Instant Answers: Island of Mull

Comments

Island of Mull Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Island of Mull sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Island of Mull sightseeing.

View all Island of Mull hotels