Oban Favorites

Getting ready to take the plunge
    by travelfrosch
  • "Come on in, the water's fine!"
    by travelfrosch
  • "Last one in is a rotten egg!"

Best Rated Favorites in Oban

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Go out of your way to discover hidden gems

by scottishvisitor Written Nov 16, 2005

The Anchorage

Favorite thing: Travelling around & stopping off when you see an interesting place name is a favourite thing of mine. You will be rewarded with spectacular scenery & hardly anyone about.

Fondest memory: Discovering places not yet known to me & which really need a return visit to find more lovely lochs & picture perfect places to visit.

• Hiking and Walking

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

The castle at the Isle of Mull

by Kodi01 Written Feb 26, 2003

Favorite thing: There is a castle to see at the Isle of Mull. Here it is in its' grand splendor and single statue of many lining the walkway.

Fondest memory: Having tea on the terrace with my new friend graham and also the dog chasing the locomotive train all the way to the castle.

• Eco-Tourism

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Morning Bird Bath

by travelfrosch Updated Mar 2, 2014

Getting ready to take the plunge

Favorite thing: On the way to gather breakfast supplies, I noticed several birds gathering along the bay. It was quite a sight, but unfortunately I had forgotten my camera. I did bring my camera the next morning, and sure enough, there were the birds again, though not quite as many as the previous morning. My bird identification skills have proven to be somewhat less than perfect over the years, but if I remember the nearby bird identification sign correctly, these were Black Guillemots.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Birdwatching

Dunstaffnage bay and castle

Dunstaffnage bay and castle

Favorite thing: Ladies and gentlemen, this was the scenery early in the morning just outside the window of my room.
    The hotel is just outside Oban, in a place called Dunbeg, and it is called Wide Mouthed Frog.
    It also has an astounding restaurant with fresh seafood.
    It is a bit chilly at dinner time to eat outside, but the view of the Dunstaffnage castle and the bay was great

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Views from the Sound of Mull

by CdnJane Written Jul 26, 2003

Lighthouse along the Sound of Mull

Favorite thing: One of my favourite views as I'm on the ferry out of Oban to or from the Isle of Mull is this view along the Sound of Mull. The clouds indicated rain... and we got drenched, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the view.

• Beaches

• shivan's Profile Photo

I was enjoying the sun....

by shivan Updated Aug 24, 2005

Me lazy in Oban

Favorite thing: ....aware it may be the last I'd get in Scotland.
    I must say I've been particularly lucky this year, because I got 50% sunny days and no rain at all!
    If you are lucky enough to come here in a sunny afternoon, Oban can be really enjoyable.
    Don't miss a walk along the marina and the tiny streets

The Bay

the bay

Favorite thing: This is why I was talking about sunny evenings.
    This is the scenery approaching the sunset.
    I am mad at sunset, you know it, and one like this repays me for all the miles I had to drive to come to Oban.
    Don't miss it.

Fishermen

the bay again

Favorite thing: This picture is not related to what I want to say here.
    There are many places where to have a nice dinner here in Oban, but I suggest not to miss the fisherman hut on the north pier, just behind the tourist shop (by the way, there is a great whiskies selection available there).
    At the hut you may taste really really fresh seafood, just boiled and prepared for you, for just a few pounds. A tradition to respect

Who guess what is this?

a bowls court

Favorite thing: It took me awhile to understand what that court actually was. To be honest I didn't argue the truth, but when I came back I saw people playing bowls there and what a surprise!
    That is why I didn't understand. Here in Italy people play bowls a lot but on narrow dusty lanes, not on gardens like that. Is it because of the exaggerated rain or because we in italy have everything, but in a bit worse shape than abroad?
    Yours the judgement.

• Redang's Profile Photo

General Info

by Redang Updated Nov 16, 2008

Tourism Office (Oba, Scotland U.K.)

Favorite thing: * Oban Tourist Information Centre

- Fax: (+44) 01631 56 42 73

- Internet: www.oban.org.uk
    - E. mail: info@oban.org.uk

Instant Answers: Oban

Comments

Oban Favorites

Reviews and photos of Oban favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oban sightseeing.