Oban Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Oban

Waypoint Bar and Grill: Delightful Seafood on Kerrera

by travelfrosch Updated Feb 4, 2014

The restaurant

This was the best meal we had in Scotland. Situated in the marina on the nearby island of Kerrera, Waypoint Bar and Grill offers a wonderful place for a meal, especially after enjoying one of the many walking trails on the island. An added advantage is that the ferry ride is free if you eat at the restaurant (show your receipt on the return trip). We sat outside and enjoyed the weather and the views. Service was excellent and the food was first-rate.

Waypoint Bar and Grill is open daily from May 1 - September 30.

Favorite Dish: I had an absolutely delicious baguette with fresh scallops and bacon. Sara had a huge bowl of mussels in garlic and white wine sauce. Waypoint prides itself on its wine list, but they also offer all varieties of Oban Bay ales in bottles. I washed my baguette down with a glass of Kilt Lifter Ale.

• Sailing and Boating

Cuan Mor: Microbrewery in Oban

by travelfrosch Updated Jan 29, 2014

Cuan Mor

Everyone knows Oban has its own whisky distillery, but did you know they had a beer brewery as well? Cuan Mor is the upscale but casual outlet for the Oban Bay Brewery. The restaurant features fine bay views, good service, tasty food... and the various Oban Bay Ales on draught, brewed in the back of the building. Also open on request is the small Brewery Bar, which paradoxically features a whisky tasting program.

Favorite Dish: I had the specialty of the house, Chicken Cuan Mor. It's a chicken breast stuffed with homemade sausage served with asparagus on a bed of mustard and whisky-infused mashed potatoes. Very nice. I paired my dish with a pint or three of tasty Oban Bay Kilt Lifter Ale. Sara had the Isle of Mull sea scallops, which she enjoyed.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Coasters: Quiet atmosphere and tasty food

by travelfrosch Written Jan 25, 2014

Coasters Wine Bar

As I was doing research, I noticed Coaster's calls itself a "Wine Bar." We mistook it for an upscale pub and had dinner there. The food and service were very good, with excellent views out onto Oban Bay. You need to try and get there early if you want one of the better seats, but we were happy with our view even from the back of the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: I had an upscale interpretation of fish and chips, while Sara had a tasty salmon dish. The "wine bar" also offered hand-pulled ales, a pint of which I enjoyed with my meal.

• Wine Tasting

Markie Dans: Good Food but Noisy Pub

by travelfrosch Written Jan 11, 2014

Markie Dans Pub

The weather was not the best, so the pub closest to the hostel was our choice for dinner on Sunday. Markie Dans is situated in the basement of Corran House on the Esplanade, across the street from the bay. When we entered, we were quite surprised how crowded and raucous it was on a late Sunday afternoon. We worked our way to a quiet(er) "snug" (private booth) and then ordered our meals and drinks at the bar. The food was fine and the service was quick and friendly, though some of the more inebriated patrons were not thrilled at our presence, and made us aware of it as we departed.

Favorite Dish: I had a prawn Marie Rose Panino, while Sara and Minifrosch split a plate of nachos. Well prepared and tasty. I washed my meal down with a pint of Rune cask-conditioned ale, which tasted very good, but I learned later that night it could well also be effective as a blood pressure medication.

Oyster Inn: eating in

by iaint Written Aug 27, 2013
    the place

The menu in the hotel restaurant looked promising, and the lure of not having to drive was too much for me.

It was wonderful. 6 oysters to start, then scallops. We both ordered the same thing. A bottle of New Zealand Gruner Veltliner added to the enjoyment.

We even pushed the boat out and had dessert. A chocolate tart, and a cranachan.

Lovely views out over the bay.

Service was helpful and friendly.

We had aperitifs & digestifs in the bar, which also serves food. Looked like the same menu, but in a more informal setting.

Favorite Dish: The scallops. Perfect.

• Luxury Travel

The Olive Garden: Great!

by iaint Written Aug 27, 2013

A lucky find. We'd arrived in town after a 3 hour drive, dumped the car in the first car park we found, and set out on foot to find lunch.

After rejecting a couple of possibilities, we liked the daily special in this place - langoustines.

We weren't disappointed. Mussels to start - one in cream sauce and the other in tomato. Then the langoustines & taglierini with seafood.

All delicious. Langoustines are hard work of course, but fun.

£64 for 2, including a bottle of water and 2 large glasses of white wine.

Recommended.

Favorite Dish: Has to be the langoustines. Sublime.

Ee-usk: 5 star

by iaint Written Aug 25, 2013
    right on the pier

Ee-usk is the phonetic version of the Gaelic word for fish. You can guess the rest...

It is located at the end of the North Pier, with wonderful views of the bay and surrounding landscape, plus all the harbour activity.

I had dressed crab followed by fish cakes. Crab is one of my top 5 foods, and this one was wonderful. The fish cakes were super too - salmon, mashed potato and leek. Spoiled myself with a glass of white Languedoc too.

OH had Thai fish cakes as a starter - lovely as well - and then a trio of salmon - cold smoked, hot smoked and poached (served cold).

Service was excellent. A busy place on a Saturday lunchtime in August, so worth booking (and eating earlier) to get the best of the service.

Would go back anytime.

Favorite Dish: The crab. Just perfect.

• the Seafood Temple oban: Fresh sea food to die for

by andrew2347 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Without doubt the Sea Food Temple is a fine dining experience with large fresh seafood meals.My wife and i had a most memorable meal here recently and are happy to travel 120 miles to repeat the experience in December.We took a 3 uk pounds taxi ride to its location but were very happy to walk back to our hotel.Be advised the portions are very generous so starve yourself before dining.Only open Thurs,Frid,Sat, Sun with two sittings ,i think from memory and 6 and 8pm.

Favorite Dish: The seafood chowder starter must have had a halfpound of fish in it.It was superb. my 3 fish fillets were so fresh served with mashed potatoes.My wife had a main dish of salmon hot and cold said it was suberb.Dont miss this restaurant.

• Photography

• Seafood Temple: real food, real people

by davyclam Updated Apr 4, 2011
    one of the charming staff

Rather a Hidden Gem, the Seafood Temple is a modest walk out of Oban on the Gallanach road, out past the Lifeboat Station. It's a 1930's public toilet which has been converted to a fantastic fresh seafood restaurant in a stunning location. The owner/chef, John, is a former fisherman who also owns the famous Local Seafood shack on the ferry pier in Oban. He sources all his seafood from previous colleagues still fishing so you just don't get any seafood fresher than this. With only 20 covers booking is essential for the 2 evening sittings at 6 and 8 pm. Already it's reputation has spread worldwide because of it's huge portions at unbelievably small prices. Whenever visit Oban I always try to get a booking here. The wines are well chosen and very reasonable (£12/bottle). John likes to come round and have a personal chat with all the diners to get feedback and is also a fount of local knowledge. He is a well-known local character and this contributes to a special experience.

Favorite Dish: There are so many, but I often choose either the Dressed Crab or Chowder for starters, then the "Duo" of the daily fish for mains. You won't get to the pudding...

• Fishing

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

McTavish's Kitchens: Tatties Neeps and Haggis - YUM!

by CdnJane Updated Apr 4, 2011

Downstairs is a self-service restaurant, with a good variety of food. They serve hot food, salads, home baking, coffee/tea cold drinks.

Upstairs is what they call their service restaurant, with menu. May to September they have a Scottish show from 8-10pm.

The restaurant is on George St., the main shopping street.

Favorite Dish: I love the (as described on their menu):
    Haggis & Neeps £ 7.95
    This famous Scottish dish comes highly recommended by our National Bard, Robert Burns. Served with 'Bashed Neeps' (Mashed Turnip) and Creamed Potatoes

I find the seasoning great, and enjoy the taste mixture with the Neeps and Tatties. I remember ordering it once and seeing the look on the server's face - "Silly tourist, bet she doesn't know what she's getting". He couldn't tell me if it was a Highland or Lowland haggis... highland haggis has a much wilder taste.

• Trains

• ange_famine's Profile Photo

The Spinnaker Cafe: A Scottish break

by ange_famine Written Jul 4, 2008

The Spinnaker cafe seems to be THE local cafe. There were a lot of old ladies there having an afternoon break of tea and scones.
    The atmosphere was simple and welcoming and the view over the bay was ideal.

Favorite Dish: We only went for coffee, hot chocolate, and a couple of scones, but you can get a full meal.

• Study Abroad

• ange_famine's Profile Photo

The Waterfront: Gorgeous Sea Food

by ange_famine Written Jul 4, 2008

The Waterfront is located on the quay, and within literally minutes of the train station.
    The restaurant is located upstairs but we stayed downstairs in the pub as it was quiet and we like a wooden atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: I opted for my favourite, the haggis, which was fried and was gorgeous. My friend had giant scampi. The choice is wide and you can sample freshly caught fish in batter, chowder, or mussels.

• antz's Profile Photo

Piazza: A little bit of Italy

by antz Written Aug 27, 2007

Piazza is a great place to go if you fancy something a little bit special, but not too expensive. A great menu offers a huge selection including the normal pizza and pasta, but often with a Scottish twist. The views from this restaurant are fantastic, as it sits on the North Pier looking out across Oban Bay but also out to the Island of Kererra and down the sound of Mull beyond.

We often come here to celebrate birthdays, leaving do's and the passing of Viva's (there always seems to be something to celebrate!)

Favorite Dish: My favourite meal here would include the Bruschetta, the Scozzese pizza and then finish off with a Banana Split (which I always have to share with my boyfriend as I cannot eat a whole one!)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Tigh an Truish: Fine Scottish Hospitality at it's best

by scottishvisitor Written Nov 12, 2005

Tigh an Truish what can thiis mean?

We went in here as it was nearing lunch time, but the food did not intrigue me the history did. After the Jacobite uprising this was one of the hideouts the Jacobites used to change from their trousers into their beloved kilts. Thank God thie kilt is not banned now!

• Hiking and Walking

• Local Shellfish: Best Place for seafood in Oban

by ricecloudnine Updated Jul 14, 2005

From the outside, this green shack may not look like much, but it's some of the best seafood you can find, all at reasonable prices. Steamed crab, freshly smoked salmon sandwiches, mussels, prawns, scallops... They'll even serve fresh oysters on the half-shell for 55 p apiece. It is a takeaway stand, but there are some benchs just next to the shack. Just be aware of gulls looking to come in and snatch you meal for themselves!

We ended up eating here all 3 days we were in Oban since it was so good. Just be aware that they close around 6pm, so get there early if you want to stop there for a dinner.

Depnds on how much you get, but you could get a meal for 5 pounds or less. More if you wanted to splurge.

Favorite Dish: Their garlic scallops were some of the best I've ever tasted. It's served with bread and the garlic taste isn't overpowering. They literally melt in your mouth.

Smoked salmon sandwich is a close second.

Instant Answers: Oban

Comments

Oban Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Oban restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oban sightseeing.