Oban Shopping

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Tesco: Oban Supermarket and More

by travelfrosch Written Jan 4, 2014

Tesco, Oban

Tesco, a common supermarket chain in Scotland, runs this store which is open long hours (6AM - Midnight Mon-Sat, 8AM - 10PM Sun), 7 days per week. If you are self-catering, this place will get you the meals and beverages you need at reasonable prices. When you do visit, save your receipt, as sometimes you get a small discount on your bill the next time you shop there.

What to buy: In addition to standard groceries, Tesco also features a post office, a cafe, a petrol (gas) station, a car wash, an ATM, and a selection of beer, wine, spirits, clothes, electronics, and video games.

What to pay: I'm no expert on prices in Scotland, but Tesco appeared to offer relatively reasonable prices for the area.

• LaineBelle's Profile Photo

Oban Distillery: Wonderful Scotch Whisky!

by LaineBelle Updated Nov 22, 2005
    Oban Distillery

I didn't take the tour of the distillery - I had toured another the day before and didn't feel like I needed to see another. Now I REALLY wish I had. It is one of Scotland's oldest sources of single malt scotch whisky.

It is described as:
    Medium sweet and lightly peated, slightly burnt heather quality.
    Smooth, lightly sweetand creamy with a very delicate peatiness.
    Smoky, dry and delicate.

I didn't have room in my luggage so didn't buy a bottle. Now I could kick myself - really hard. I should have found some way to bring a bottle or two back to the USA. I called my local liquor store when I returned and he priced it at $70+ per bottle. Ouch!

What to buy: If you are a Scotch Whisky drinker, this could be your dream Scotch.

What to pay: 14 year about 35 pounds with VAT

• Singles
    • Archeology

Instant Answers: Oban

Comments

Oban Shopping

Reviews and photos of Oban shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oban sightseeing.