Aberfeldy Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Aberfeldy

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Guided tour to Aberfeldy

by ettiewyn Updated Jul 11, 2012

Favorite thing: I visited Scotland in February, and I expected it to be very cold, with snow and stormy weather. Advise on VT confirmed this, and so I decided that I rather did not want to rely too much on public transport which could easily be delayed or cancelled due to bad weather conditions. On the other hand I wanted to get out of Edinburgh and, during my ten days in Scotland, wanted to see as much of the country as possible and to get a good impression of its different landscapes. I already knew that one day I would go back and visit places like Inverness, the Isle of Skye and other places in the north, so I rather saw this trip as an introduction to Scotland, but still I wanted to get as many impressions as possible.
    To make a long story short: What I needed were some guided tours!

I googled and found Rabbies, a tour company providing day trips from Edinburgh. I was fascinated by their itineraries and by their attitude and policy in general, and so I decided to book some tours with them.
    In the end, the weather was great during my trip, with hardly any rain and no snow at all, but I am still happy that I did the tours with Rabbies. The itineraries were very good, and the three different guides I got to know all did a great job. I think if you don't have much time in Scotland, these tours are a good possibility to see parts you otherwise wouldn't visit. Of course you can't see much, but you can get at least an impression of the highlands, the castles and lochs. What I like about Rabbies is their professionalism and the fact that they are friendly and really care about their customers. They use small vans, so the groups are really small, and lunch is not included, so you can bring your own food if you want to, there is no need to spend a lot of money on an expensive lunch or waste your time in a restaurant if you rather want to be out exploring.

I absolutely recommend Rabbies, and I plan to return to Scotland and to take some of their multi days tours as well - visiting more places of the highlands as well as the Orkneys and the Hebrides is very high on my bucket list!

Aberfeldy is included in their "Highland Lochs, Glens & Whisky" tour, which also takes in Dunkeld and Pitlochry as well as some other places. You can see the itinerary and the other details here. Our guide slightly changed our itinerary because it was winter and would get dark early, so she decided to show us some other things in order to make us see more before nightfall. It was ok because we were only two people on the tour and agreed to her plan.

Website: www.rabbies.com

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

The Birks of Aberfeldy

by ettiewyn Written Jul 8, 2012

Robert Burns

Favorite thing: Aberfeldy became particularly popular due to a poem written by the Scottish poet Robert Burns, „The Birks of Aberfeldy“. The text was written to a pre-existing melody in 1787 while Burns travelled around the highlands and rested in a wood close to Aberfeldy.

This is the text, taken from www.robertburns.org:

Bonie lassie, will ye go,
    Will ye go, will ye go,
    Bonie lassie, will ye go
    To the birks of Aberfeldy!

Now simmer blinks on flowery braes,
    And o'er the crystal streamlets plays;
    Come let us spend the lightsome days,
    In the birks of Aberfeldy.

While o'er their heads the hazels hing,
    The little birdies blythely sing,
    Or lightly flit on wanton wing,
    In the birks of Aberfeldy.

The braes ascend like lofty wa's,
    The foaming stream deep-roaring fa's,
    O'erhung wi' fragrant spreading shaws-
    The birks of Aberfeldy.

The hoary cliffs are crown'd wi' flowers,
    White o'er the linns the burnie pours,
    And rising, weets wi' misty showers
    The birks of Aberfeldy.

Let Fortune's gifts at randoe flee,
    They ne'er shall draw a wish frae me;
    Supremely blest wi' love and thee,
    In the birks of Aberfeldy.

I also found a nice video on youtube where you can listen to it, although I am not sure if it is the original melody.

Instant Answers: Aberfeldy

Comments

Aberfeldy Favorites

Reviews and photos of Aberfeldy favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aberfeldy sightseeing.