Aberfeldy Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Aberfeldy

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Dewar's Whisky Distillery - Tour

by ettiewyn Updated Jul 8, 2012

Everybody told me: "If you visit Scotland you HAVE to visit a whisky distillery" - I followed the advise, and I am glad I did. I found my visit to a distillery very interesting!

We did a guided tour that led through the different rooms and were shown the different stages of Whisky making. The guide was an elderly lady who was very enthusiastic and knowledgable about the topic, and she explained everything very well. I must admit that I did not understand everything because if you are not a native speaker, you don't understand some of technical terms involved in Whisky making, but I could still follow the process. What impressed me most were the different smells in the rooms, it was so fascinating. I never knew Whisky was made in such a way, and it was exciting to walk through all the different rooms, to see the machinery and ingredients involved, and to understand the necessary conditions and the skills of the people working here.

It is not allowed to take pictures inside the buildings, so I only have a few pictures of the exterior.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Dewar's Whisky Distillery - Museum & Shop

by ettiewyn Updated Jul 8, 2012

After our tour through the distillery, we were shown a film about the distillery's history. The film lasted about ten minutes and was presented in a room that was designed like a small, old fashioned cinema with comfortable seats - quite nice! The film was also interesting, explaining how the distillery was founded by John Dewar in 1846 and how it developed over the decades. On the other hand it is of course like a ten minute long advertisement...

There is a museum showing even more about the history and whisky making, but I must admit that by this time, I was quite tired and not too interested in learning even more details, and the other customer taking part in the tour felt the same, so we just strolled through the exhibitions quickly. Some of the things that caught a little more interest were a reconstructed traditional office and some historical pictures.

In the end you arrive in the shop and can take part in a whisky tasting. I did so and tried three different whiskys, it was very interesting to finally taste it after learning and seeing so much about it! It won't become my everyday drink, but it was an interesting experience ;-)
    There are whiskys of all kinds and sizes in the shop, and I bought a small bottle for my uncle. It was a very pretty bottle with a twelve year old whisky, and my uncle liked the gift very much. I think the price of £5 was ok.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• davidjo's Profile Photo

THE WATERMILL

by davidjo Written Apr 6, 2012

THE WATERMILL

The Watermill is a bookshop, cds, art gallery, homeware, cafe which is in a 3 floored converted oatmeal mill, which is still in use today. It was purchased by Michael Palin 7 years ago and has won the Independent Bookshop of the Year award. It has a large selection of Scottish books and childrens books too, not so many fiction. The cafe sells wonderful food and the ambience is special. It is open 7 days a week, 10-5, (sundays 11-5).

• Steph84's Profile Photo

Dewar's World of Whisky

by Steph84 Updated Apr 1, 2009
    Dewar's World of Whisky

I must admit I haven't visited Dewar's myself, but I've been told that if you're into whisky and whisky distilleries, this is a great place to go. Open all year round, but with slightly shorter opening times during winter.

• Steph84's Profile Photo

The birks of Aberfeldy/Falls of Moness

by Steph84 Updated Apr 1, 2009
    Falls of Moness. With birk!

There's a lovely little walk from the village centre up to the Falls of Moness and back. The 3-mile path takes you through beautiful woodlands, never wandering far from the brook and the falls. The Scottish poet Robert Burns was so enchanted about this wonderful spot of natural beauty that he wrote a poem about it - he's still sitting there, trying to catch the right words!

• Hiking and Walking

• weewatty's Profile Photo

Climb Schiehallion

by weewatty Written Dec 21, 2005

Schiehallion from Kinloch Rannoch

Dominating over the village of Kinloch Rannoch you will find the impressive peak of Schiehallion. With the summit at 1053m, you will often find it covered in the white stuff.

A popular walk is to be had leaving from the Braes of Foss car park, the summit and back is approx 6 miles in distance.

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

• weewatty's Profile Photo

White Water Rapids

by weewatty Updated Oct 31, 2004

River Tay @ Grandtully Bridge

The famous River Tay runs by Aberfeldy and at certain sections between Aberfeldy and Grandtully is superb for all manner of water activities, canooing and rafting especially.

After heavy rain or after melting snow the swollen river really is a sight to see.

Instant Answers: Aberfeldy

Comments

Aberfeldy Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Aberfeldy things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aberfeldy sightseeing.