Pitlochry Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Pitlochry

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

Walking Around Pt. 2

by Marpessa Updated Apr 19, 2007

Favorite thing: Another nice thing about Pitlochry is that also running parallel to the trainstation (but on the opposite side to Atholl Rd.), with a short walk you will find Loch Faskally and the River Tummel. Walking around this area is very nice, especially after it has been raining and the clouds are low and hanging over the mountains.

Also in this area you will find the Salmon ladder, where (at the right time of year) the salmon in Pitlochry swim upstream from the River Tummel bypassing the dam and getting to Loch Faskally to spawn.

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

Walking Around Pt. 1

by Marpessa Updated Apr 19, 2007

Houses surrounding the town

Favorite thing: Ok, so I was only in Pitlochry for a day, so I am making a couple of 'general' tips - as my memories are only 'in general'.

What I do strongly remember is that Pitlochry is a beautiful town set amongst some mountains (including Ben Vrackie) in the middle of Scotland. The main road, Atholl Rd., runs parallel to the train station and is filled with many shops to go shopping in (both for you Scottish/tartan needs and for everyday items/clothing as well). There are also numerous reastaurants and some pubs in beautiful buildings (something like the Victorian era I think). I remember the night I was there the streets were fairly lively at night with people out and having a good time, laughing and chatting.

And although I did not experiance everything Pitlochry has to offer, I advise you to check out the website below, which has more information on the town and things like the whiskey distillery (Blair Atholl Distillery - founded in 1798) and the Pitlochry Festival theatre.

• Luxury Travel

• lou31's Profile Photo

Gem of Perthshire

by lou31 Written Jun 28, 2005

Can you see the deer?

Favorite thing: I think the thing that stood out for me was the lovely countrside around the town. There was always somewhere new to explore. From the delightful scenic walk I took to Dunfallandy to the more challenging ones up into the forrests. All my photos show the true colour and atmosphere of the countryside. I haven't touched them up in any way.
    I visited in the Spring when everything was so green! I stayed for 3 days and have some wonderful memories.

Fondest memory: One of my special memories is of the nice old farmer who stopped one morning whileI was walking at Dunfallandy. I was making my way back and he offered me a lift which at the time a blessing. A light rain was falling and I was eager for my hot breakfast. He was a real character and we chatted away throughout the short drive.
    Another memory is the georgous countryside found up near Moulin. It had everything...green fields, winding roads, those cute little styles, great views and I even came across a deer!
    The forests were different again. Quiet, mysterious and they had that enchanted look about them!

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Pitlochry

Comments

Pitlochry Favorites

Reviews and photos of Pitlochry favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pitlochry sightseeing.