Fun things to do in Scotland

McLennan Arch

Most Viewed Things to Do in Scotland

• solopes's Profile Photo

Cheviot

by solopes Updated Mar 12, 2015

In my basic school I had to memorize the names of all the Portuguese rivers, mountains, railroads (and railway stations), and more. I had also to memorize some international names, one of them "Cheviote", I don't know why.

Fifty years later I remembered it when travelling from Edinburgh to Newcastle - it's the geographic element that signals the border between England and Scotland.

(how could I forget such important detail in a Portuguese child's education?)

Now, I know more - it's one of the best places in England to find two things: snow in spring, and the sheep who make the pulls that Fernanda made me carry back home.

Cheviot - UK Cheviot - UK Cheviot - UK Cheviot - UK
    • Eco-Tourism

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

~ Explorer Pass ~

by RavensWing Written Mar 10, 2015

We were standing in the line up to purchase our tickets to go into Edinburgh Castle and there was a poster promoting the "Explorer Pass". When we got to the wicket we asked what it was about.

There are two types of passes - a three-day pass (£29) and a seven-day pass (£38). We knew that we weren't going to be there long enough for the 7-day pass so we opted for the 3-day pass. On our itinerary was Edinburgh Castle (£16) and Stirling Castle(£14). By going to just those two Castles the "Explorer Pass" would be paid for - anything else that was on the list would be simply free. Also the 3 day pass is good for 5 days. So you have 5 days to use your 3 days. That's great just in case you happen to be going somewhere that wasn't on the list of the 78 attractions this pass covers. The 7 day pass is good for 14 days.

Not only does it save on the entrance fees; it also gives discounts on the audio tour at the Edinburgh Castle. Just because the attraction you are visiting isn't in the list --- when you are paying for your entrance ask if they have a discount because you have the "Explorer Pass". We were pleasantly surprised to find out that there were other places that did give a discount.

Explorer Pass

• davidjo's Profile Photo

HIGHLAND CATTLE-------FROM MONGOLIA ????

by davidjo Written Sep 19, 2014

If you are in the Highlands, keep your eyes open for Highland Cattle, magnificent beasts that have grazed the rugged countryside since the 6th century, but nobody knows for sure if they originated in Scotland or were imported by the Vikings. The most popular belief is that they were a product of two Asiatic breeds, 'Bos Longifrons' and the 'Bos Primigenius' that migrated from the Far East and Mongolia to the shores of the Black Sea. By 6,000 years ago they had migrated west to the shores of the Baltic, and later the Scando-Celt released them in the Highlands. The highlanders used to fish and farm so the cattle provided a source of milk, meat and yarn.

• kat-m's Profile Photo

Achiltabuie camping

by kat-m Written Sep 2, 2014

A lovely 5 days spent in Achiltibuie at the Port a Bhaigh camp site. A different trip for us as we normally wild camp, however the site was a refreshing change and considering we arrived at 7pm in the middle of a wind and rain storm we decided to take the easy option. The site is very picturesque overlooking the Summer Isles. A nice pebble beach and a causeway built a long time ago to allow access to the sea for our small dinghy. The scenery when you travel from Ullapool and on to the peninsula is amazing.

Spectacular scenery site from beach view out to sea
    • Camping
    • Fishing

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Stirling Castle

by Paul2001 Updated Aug 30, 2014

Stirling Castle is one of the finest castles in Scotland. I visited Stirling on a daytrip from Edinburgh just to see this remarkable castle. Sadly the palace was closed for renovation during my visit. Still much of the castle was still open so I did not leave disappointed.
    The rocky outcrop on which Stirling Castle sits has been the location of some sort of military fortification since the 7th century. It was "modernized" in 1540 by which I mean the castle was restored to look much like it does today. Since that time it was an important seat for the Kings of Scotland. This was probably because of it strategic position the Scottish landscape. It is almost half way between Glasgow and Edinburgh and at the dividing line between the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland. The castle as also served as the barracks headquarters for two highland regiments,of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, Today there two museums within the castle dedicated to these regiments. I highly recommend that you visit them especially if you have an interest in military history.
    It costs 14 pounds for an adult ticket. The Castle is open daily from 9am to 6pm in the summer months. In the winter it closes at 5pm.

Stirling Castle The main gate into the castle Dancers in historical dress The kitchen

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

My Hike around the hills over Fort William

by Paul2001 Updated Aug 19, 2014

Although I have posted this comment under "Things to Do" this review is also about the hazards of Scotland and how it can leave you a little disappointed. When I reached Fort William I decided that if the weather was agreeable I would climb up Ben Nevis. When I woke up my first morning in Fort William it was nice and sunny out. I thought yippee I would be able to make the climb. I felt I was up to it as I have climbed higher and steeper mountains although not recently. I knew that the weather in Scotland could be very changeable so I went to the tourist office to get their forecast for the day. They recommended that NOT climb up as it was suppose to rain and on this mountain this could mean snow. My heart sunk. Anyway I decided upon plan be and I would take a walk beneath the mountain along a trail that lead to an obscure Celtic ruin. So off I went.
    It was a very lovely day but I figured it would rain sometime in the afternoon. After walking over a hill directly above Fort William, I headed to a nice restaurant directly below Ben Nevis. This was around 1pm and there still was no sign of rain however I knew it was too late to make the climb up the mountain. Instead I set out for the Celtic ruin. It took me about two hours to get there. Along the way, the views of the mountains was stunning and a little irritating too as there was still no clouds. I knew I should have attempted the climb. Anyway I was hoping that the Celtic ruin would at least be interesting. It was not. Rather it was simply a lump of dirt and deserve ably obscure. On to itself I would rate it tourist trap but I did not pay any money to see it. I also did get to see some great scenery along the way so I was not too soured by the episode. I should also point out that the rain did indeed come but it was over night. In fact it rained the next three days in that part of Scotland.

Fort William The Celtic ruin with Ben Nevis beyond Ben Nevis Pathway in the hills over Fort William
    • Hiking and Walking

• solopes's Profile Photo

Edinburgh

by solopes Updated Jan 13, 2014

I didn't visit much in Scotland, but I enjoyed what I saw.

Edinburgh took most of our time, and, though being a dark and cold city, it is interesting and easy to see.

Next time (I hope there will be a next time!), I will try to find something that I missed in this trip: folk dance and a military tattoo.

Edinburgh - Scotland Edinburgh - Scotland Edinburgh - Scotland Edinburgh - Scotland Edinburgh - Scotland

• thinktink's Profile Photo

Killin Village Paths

by thinktink Written Oct 16, 2013

Walks in and around the Killin area of Perth/Kinross available on a leaflet provided by Loch Lomond & the Trossachs National Park.

There are spectacular views of the Lochs and Bens of the area and walks for all levels of experience. I took to the gentler walks due to several foot injuries and opted for the walk along the river and loch. It takes approximately 40 mins to complete the mini circuit from the old station car park.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Birdwatching
    • Fishing

Provand´s Lordship

by lina112 Written Sep 5, 2013

Opposite to St Mungo Museum stands the Provand's Lordship, the oldest house in Glasgow. Singular Scottish example of civil architecture of the fifteenth century, was erected in 1471 as a hospital chaplain residence of St Nicholas.

Frente al museo de St Mungo se erige la Provand´s Lordship, la casa mas antigua de Glasgow. Singular ejemplor de arquitectura civil escocesa del siglo XV, fue erigida en 1471 como residencia del capellán del hospital de St Nicholas.

Stirling Old Town

by lina112 Written Sep 5, 2013

Below the castle, the steep old town with cobblestone streets lined with architectural gems of the fifteenth and seventeenth centuries, is clearly different from the modern city. Its growth began when Stirling became royal burgh, and in the XV and XVI lifted most prosperous merchants in it their home.

Por debajo del castillo, el empinado casco antiguo, con sus calles de adoquines bordeadas de joyas arquitectónicas de los siglos XV y XVII, se distingue con claridad de la ciudad moderna. Su crecimiento empezó cuando Stirling se convirtió en burgo real, y en los siglos XV y XVI los comerciantes más prósperos levantaron en él sus casas.

Stirling Castle

by lina112 Updated Sep 5, 2013

Stirling Castle was one of the most important fortresses in Scotland during the Middle Ages and is situated on a volcanic outcrop. The current structure was erected and modified between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries, when it was the residence of the monarchs Esturado. The great hall and the gatehouse were erected by James IV.

El Castillo de Stirling fue una de las fortalezas más importantes en Escocia durante la Edad Media y está sita sobre un afloramiento volcánico. La estructura actual fue erigida y modificada entre los siglos XIV y XVI, cuando fue la residencia de los monarcas Esturado. El gran salon y la torre de entrada fueron erigidas por Jacobo IV.

Wallace monument

by lina112 Written Sep 5, 2013

Completed in 1869 after eight years construction, the 220 feet high Wallace Monument sits prominently on the Abbey Craig two miles north of the city of Stirling itself. It was from this prominent hilltop in 1297 that William Wallace watched the English army approach across Stirling Bridge before leading the Scots into the battle of the same name. The tower was built thanks to a fund raising campaignin the midst of renewed Scottish nationalist sentiment during the nineteenth century.

Torre situada en la cima del monte Abbey Craig, cerca de Stirling. Conmemora la figura de William Wallace, un soldado escocés del siglo XIII que luchó contra el Rey Eduardo I de Inglaterra en la Guerra de la independencia de Escocia. La torre se construyó gracias a una campaña de recaudación de fondos, en medio de un renovado sentimiento nacionalista escocés durante el siglo XIX. Además de esta subscripción pública, también fue financiado por algunos patronos extranjeros, incluido el líder italiano Giuseppe Garibaldi.

Glasgow Necropolis

by lina112 Written Sep 5, 2013

The Necropolis has been described as a 'unique representation of Victorian Glasgow, built when Glasgow was the second city of the empire. It reflects the feeling of confidence and wealth and security of that time. Over the years since then, some 50,000 people have been buried at the Necropolis, in around 3,500 tombs that extend anything up to 14 feet below the ground and which, on the rocky upper parts of the Necropolis, had to be excavated with the aid of blasting powder.

High Street

by lina112 Written Sep 1, 2013

Is a pedestrian street that cross the town center of Fort William and connected to a pedestrian underpass to the train and bus station. There are shops, restaurants, hotels where you can find all that you need. The Tourist Information Centre is also found at the High Street, at the Cameron Place.

Es la calle peatonal que cruza todo el centro de Fort William y a que conecta a la vez con una pasarela subterranea desde la estación de tren y autobus. La calle está plagada de tiendas, restaurantes, hotes. La oficina de turismo se encuentra en Cameron Place situada en la misma calle.

High Street Sunny High Street

Crannong Cruise

by lina112 Written Sep 1, 2013

We asked in the tourist information in Fort William for a cruise from there and Crannog was the one. Crannog Cruises offers a 90 minutes cruise of Loch Linnhe from the town pier. We went on a cloudy day but the wheater got well and it was a pleasant cruise. We enjoyed the most unique views of the southern slopes of Ben Nevis, and we passed a farm salmon and mussels. But the best part of the cruise it was see the seals resting in a small island on the way back to the pier. It cost 12.50 pounds per person.

Crannog Cruises ofrecen un crucero de hora y media a lo largo del lago Linnhe. El día estaba nublado pero mejoro a lo largo del viaje. Lo mejor son las vistas que ofrece el monte Ben Navis, los criaderos de mejillones y salmon y lo mejor de todos el pequeño islote con focas las cuales estaban descansando.

• Cruise

21 Reviews - 62 Photos
Leith Hotels
66 Reviews - 192 Photos

Instant Answers: Scotland

Comments

Scotland Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Scotland things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Scotland sightseeing.
Map of Scotland