Uig Travel Guide

• Camas Uig from Baile na Cille Church, Aug-01
    Camas Uig from Baile na Cille Church,...
  • Uig
    Baile na Cille Guest House

Uig Restaurants

• brianthetiger's Profile Photo

by brianthetiger Updated Nov 9, 2010

I think I've been to Gallan Head, with Andy as the owner, about 3 times now, having first fallen in love with the place a few years previous, going back to 2001 or 3 when Richard and Joe had created the restaurant as Bonaventure.
    So its now 1 or sometimes 2 nights in 2008, 9 and 10 that I've stayed (as it is great not to have to drive back) and dined at Gallan Head. Its the remoteness, the cliffs & scenery, the great food & wine, the beautiful surroundings (inside & outside), the friendliness .... its lots of things I really like.
    Oh ... and its the very comfortable couches in the open plan lounge area that also make waiting-to-be-seated or make relaxing-after-dinner a pleasure.
    But one bit of other advice, the restaurant is perfectly tidy and finished off but these are converted old RAF huts ... this adds to the character but some might be looking for a little less RAF feel and more 'something else', don't worry though, once you've picked up the spirit of the place it will feel like a home from home.

And that goes for the accommodation as well. Andy's done a great job with what he's got but there's no avoiding the limitations caused by the inflexible old RAF huts .... the best I can say is that Andy's rooms are a good place to sleep off a great night of wonderful food, lots of drink & good company.

Favorite Dish: The menu changes from time to time but for starters I love the Smoked Stornoway Haddock Fishcakes With a lemon & dill dressing.
    And this year I followed the starter with Breast of Chicken filled with Black Pudding, wrapped in Bacon, On a wild mushroom tagliatelle.
    When I've had great food I normally don't do sweets but I had the Rum Ice-cream and it was fantastic.

Instant Answers: Uig

Comments

Uig Travel Guide
Map of Uig