Skipness Local Customs

A Perfect place to hang a lead
    The Black Face Sheep

Most Recent Local Customs in Skipness

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Why Should We Open the Box?

by scottishvisitor Updated Jun 28, 2009

I love to visit Kirk Yards there is such a lot of history to be unearthed in these places. In Scotland they always carry guidelines under health and safety rules including 'Old tomb stones can collapse'- 'enter at your own risk 'and 'dogs are not allowed'. Given these warnings we visited the old Kirk Yard separately. I did observe Kenny lifting the lid of something in the Kirk yard and my thoughts were - 'where has curiosity taken him now'. When it was my turn to visit the Kirk Yard I was more than happy that curiosity had overtaken my Husband. I too had encountered the same boxes but did not have the strength to open the heavy lids to reveal the five late medieval recumbent stones. Far less take photographs of this most wonderful restoration project which has been preserved for the future but I must admit the photos are courtesy of Kenny - I couldn't manage to open the box and take a picture all at the same time.

Free Range Eggs & an Honesty Policy

by scottishvisitor Updated Jun 25, 2009

The Little Hen House

The little hen house was positioned on the path on the track to the Castle - a little way before we even saw the farmhouse but I think my guess was right it did belong to the farm. When they advertise 'free range eggs' this is exactly what they mean, around the farm and beyond we saw lots of hens, duck and turkeys roaming around happily and free. I laughed a lot when I read the hand written note tucked into the basket inside the hen house. It listed the various prices of the eggs and asked politely for buyers to leave surplus egg boxes for re use. I must take a mental note if I visit this area again to add empty egg boxes to my packing lists! We found a refreshing honesty policy repeated itself many times in these remote spots - just select your goods and leave the correct sum of money. Recycling maybe a new concept for some of us = but honesty is always the best policy!

Loose Sheep & Shepherd's Crooks

by scottishvisitor Updated Jun 25, 2009

A Perfect place to hang a lead

The Castle and the Abbey are set smack bang in the middle of a working farm. There were no signs to say 'No Dogs' most people we met here had a leashed dog with them. One small loose dog followed us to and fro (he seemed familiar with the territory - he probably belonged to the farm) We were rather worried about our own dog scaring the sheep but we needn't have bothered. The little dog saw them off as did my presence. The sheep roam free here - there are no fences or other enclosures. I was pleased to see the Scottish Blackface sheep amongst the flock. The Blackface were first farmed by Monks in the 12th. Century, they used their long coarse wool to make tweed clothing. Later in 1503 James lV King of Scotland established a herd of 5,000 Blackface Sheep. This breed of sheep are small in stature but very hardy - they pretty much look after themselves so are a popular breed for hill farms. If you see postcards of sheep in Scotland the Blackface is always in the picture!

Instant Answers: Skipness

Comments

Skipness Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Skipness local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Skipness sightseeing.