Thurso Off The Beaten Path

• Sinclair Bay cliffs near the castle ruins
    Sinclair Bay cliffs near the castle...
    by nanadear

• nanadear's Profile Photo

Family Castle

by nanadear Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Girnigoe Castle on Sinclair Bay

Well being of the Sinclair Clan, I couldn't very well skip our familial castle could I? So we searched the small town of Wick, Scotland and drove down a looooooooooong dirt rode to the Noss Head Lighthouse. It was closed as we did get there rather late, but still before sundown! We then tramped thru a sheep pasture, very friendly sheep BTW, and took pics of the ruins. They are slowly being restored. It was so very cool for me.

• Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking

• barkybite's Profile Photo

Selling Sheep in Scotland

by barkybite Written Sep 28, 2004

Most tourists don't get to sheep auctions. I hadn't planned to attend either, but the auction house happened to be next to the rail station; I was waiting for a train out of Thurso and I was curious about the amplified voice chanting something--not a word of which (other than the numbers) I could understand.

So I walked into the large building. Although there were no signs about an auction, the holding pens outside made it easy to know what the chanting was about. It was the auctioneer, and a sale was in progress.

The process was interesting. I've heard of certain types of auctions where the bidders signal with a twitch of the eyebrows or a nod, and something similar was going on here. The auctioneer, when trying to get a higher price, would look first to one side of the ring, then the other. Try as I did to discern who was bidding, I could see no indication other than the auctioneer's head.

The sheep would be brought into a pen in lots of between three and fifty. To my eye, they all appeared to be the same variety and age, although there were both black-faced and white-faced animals. I'm not sure they were fully mature animals, and I apologize for not capturing a better image of the sheep. Around fifteen men were huddled up to the rail, and another fifteen to twenty spectators were seated. The agreed price was always between 41 and 43.50. I learned later that was a price in Pounds Sterling per head--less than $75!

• interrailerz's Profile Photo

The cable tunnel to Iceland and the Faroers :)

by interrailerz Updated Apr 4, 2011
    between Thurso and Dunnet

Yes, here you can see the entrance of the manymany miles long tunnel. Whow!! And sheep behind that! Caithness countryside wow :))

(PS: it was a really very nice trip)

• interrailerz's Profile Photo

Walk to Dunnet

by interrailerz Written Apr 5, 2004

Lallalla shallalla

Dunnet Head is the northernmost point of the Mainland, its about 10-15 km east of Thurso. We took a bus to Castleton and had a nice walk. Yeah! :)

Instant Answers: Thurso

Comments

Thurso Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Thurso off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Thurso sightseeing.