Denbigh Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Denbigh

Denbigh Castle's ghosts

by budapest8 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Denbigh Castle, North Wales

He had sat in the same place as I had and felt the same things as I had, and we hadn't even discussed it previous to that. Later when most of the group had gone off to sleep, four of us stayed up and walked around the whole of the castle picking up various phenomena along the way. I found that on the left side of the building, I always felt light-headed (this was on ground level as well), but on the right I was fine.

The left side of the building is where the remaining battlements are located and the kitchen area. This is also the location of the castle well. It is believed that John DeLacey's eldest son fell off the battlement and plunged to his death into the well.

It was recorded on the night of the vigil that there was a scream heard coming from that area. Could this have been the ghostly cries of the poor victim? We will never know... quotes

Supernatural Encounters Association website: www.supernaturalencounters.co.uk

The Town walls

by Myfanwe Updated May 3, 2010
    Denbigh town walls

The Town Walls, dating from the late 13th Century, are integrated with those of the castle and are a fine well-preserved example of medieval building. They provide a splendid walk over a kilometre long, with a particularly fine stretch including the Countess Tower and the Goblin Tower. Access is via keys obtainable on deposit from the Library, or the castle custodian during the main season.

Leicesters Church

Leicester's Church

In the 16th century Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, held the Castle and Lordship between 1563 until he died in 1588. During this time he began the building of Leicester's Church, at the top of Bull Lane.

It is thought that he anticipated that the bishopric would be transferred from St Asaph to Denbigh but this never happened.

• Archeology

St Hilarys Chapel

St Hilary's Chapel

St Hilary's Chapel was completed 1305. The main parish church for Denbigh however remained St Marcella's at nearby Whitchurch. All but the tower of St Hilary's chapel was demolished in the 1920s; the lone tower can be seen on the green in front of the Castle.

• Archeology

Visit the Castle

Denbigh Castle

Denbigh Castle is one of the largest and strongest medieval Castles of the Welsh-English borderlands. Built on the top of a high limestone outcrop it commands a fine vantage point over the town of Denbigh and beyond. The Castle was started by Edward I's campaign commander - Henry De Lacy in 1282. The Castle has some great features which can be seen today, these include a fantastic drawbridge, portcullis and gates. The Castle was defended by seven towers and defensive town walls.

St Hilary's Chapel

The tower is all that remains of St Hilary's Chapel once a chapel of ease and built in the walled upper town of Denbigh around 1300, it was referred to as 'the chapel within the walls' in 1334.
    The chapel would probably have been replaced by the Earl of Leicester's great new church if it been completed.
    After the construction of St Mary's in 1874 the chapel fell into disuse and all apart fromthe tower was demolished in 1923.

• Religious Travel

Leicester's Church

The Remains of Leicester's Church are of the only large new church that was built in the reign of Elizabeth I. It was Begun by Robert Dudley the Earl of Leicester in 1578 and is thought that it was ment to be a replacement for the Cathedral at St Asaph and part of Robert Dudleys wish to make Denbigh the Capital of North Wales. Work was suspended in 1584 and the church was never completed.

Town Walls

Town Walls

Denbigh was a walled town and some very solid lengths of Denbigh's medieval town walls have lasted through the centuries with parts still connected to the castle the walls head out towards the Town.
    The Walls were built from 1282 along the same time as the castle forming a single architectural and defensive unit.

Denbigh Castle

The present Castle was started by Henry de Lacy in 1282 with the support of King Edward I but it was not the first castle on this site as the Welsh actually had a fortification on the rocky hill from the start of the 13th century and the site was probably still occupied by the Princes of Gwynedd when King Edward stormed Wales in 1282. Sadly nothing of the native built castle survived, but from historical documents, we know that it contained a hall, private chambers, a bakehouse, and a buttery.
    The building of the English Castle oblitarated any evidance of the Welsh castle with de Lacy following plans probably designed by Master James of St. George the great medieval engineer who was working closely with king Edward at that time and by 1284 Denbigh Castle and its connecting town with their great walls began to dominate its surroundings.

Although the Castle is 'in a much ruined state' some excellent conservation work has been done by CADW and it is easy to see how great it must once have been.

Adult - £3.00, Concession - £2.60, Family - £8.60
    Entry is free for Welsh residents aged 60 and over or 16 and under who have a valid pass and to members of CADW

Opening Times:

01.04.10 - 31.10.10: Monday - Sunday 10.00 - 17.00

01.11.10 - 31.03.11 The monument will be open (usually between 10.00 and 16.00) and unstaffed with no admission charge.

Denbigh Castle grounds August 2006

Stephen, Castle hill,Denbigh
    If the people who were at the Castle, ghost hunting, on Halloween this year are reading.That wasnt a white warewolf that scared the life out of you...it was my fluffy german shepherd looking at you through the gap in the wall! I walk around the Castle and through the woods and down goblin lane at all times of the night and day, and as of yet have not encountered anything supernatural. The carpark can be a scary place of an evening though...for very different reasons.
    Sun Jan 8 22:28:48 2006

Allen Roberts, born Denbigh 1949
    I used to live in Vale Street. As boys we used the pathway which runs alongside Howell's School to the Goblin Tower. Before the tower we would scale the rocks and climb over the town wall. This would give us access to the tower; we would then descend to the bottom, dark even on a bright day. There was never anything heard or seen nor were we aware of any stories!
    Wed Nov 16 10:40:00 2005

Alan, Denbigh
    The castle is an amazing place. As a child, I used to go there often, and I now take my son there regularly as we live quite close by. I believe that any ghostly "experiences" people have had are simply the result of overactive imaginations and by those who actively try to seek such experiences. I am open minded but I think if you look at it objectively, you'll realise it's just a rather beautiful old ruin in a spectacular setting, and only haunted by local (living) people who cherish it.
    Fri Oct 21 13:35:49 2005

Denbigh Castle, North Wales 2006

Jason from Barry
    Having spent what felt like every waking hour in the castle during my childhood, the result of which is I could probably draw a perfect plan from memory (this would include the tunnels that out of towners would be completely unaware as well as a couple of caves!). I can honestly say I have never encountered anything supernatural or untoward in the castle. However, I have encountered strange things in "Top" woods! By Garch hill(not sure of spelling, sorry!). But as a non-believer I simply put these down to childhood fears!
    Mon Apr 24 10:48:25 2006

Eryl Jones Denbigh
    Where i live now I'm in good view of the castle. I only need to glance behind me while writing this and there it is. I'll be glancing at it more often now I have browsed over this site.
    Sun Mar 5 10:59:29 2006

maria , stockport cheshire.
    is the castle accsessable during the evenings and im interested in the goblin tower, and the experiences people have had there, is that accessable too? if not how do we gain access we are hoping to visit the castle during the coming weekends, there are eight of us who like to visit places of paranormal interest , to see if we can pick up anything unusual via sound or camcorder , anyone know of any other places that are of interest around there, that we can get to easily, during the evening, to do our own investigations
    Mon Jan 30 14:37:01 2006

Lynda from Connecticut, USA
    My family is fron N. Wales and I've had the good fortune to be able to return every summer. A couple of years ago my sister, daughter and myself visited the castle. We had the key to the wall and were there vertually alone. As we walked up the steps of what I believe was the Goblin Tower, my daughter, who was in front of me, turned quickly around and said, "What did you do that for?" I asked her what she meant and she wanted to know why I had pulled her hair. (She has waist length hair) I hadn't touched her. We assumed it was the ghost of the young boy who plunged to his death.
    Sat Jan 21 16:23:16 2006

Denbigh Castle, North Wales 2006

Erin Cawthray, Denbigh
    I was at my friend's house who lives in post office lane by Denbigh castle, she was hiding from me in her mum's room. I turned around and all went cold a grey blur and the sound of clothes shuffling rushed past me into the bathroom. I went in hoping to find somthing but to my suprise nothing was there. My friend walked out of her mum's room she said she was in there the whole time. Since then I hear banging on the walls and footsteps down the corridor.
    Mon Aug 14 09:45:01 2006

Kirstin Griffiths, Huddersfield
    Does anyone know where I can obtain information on the Myddelton family of Denbigh Castle?
    Fri Aug 11 16:19:39 2006

jason - derby
    anybody got any info on the tunnels under the castle- thanks
    Wed Jul 19 07:57:26 2006

Meg Roberts, Denbigh
    Is Monica Kranzel (nee. Williams) from Florida, the same Monica who used to work at the firelighter factory with, Pat, Elaine, Eira, and the girls from Mold. Oh and me, Meg?
    Thu Jun 29 15:50:07 2006
    middleton, rhyl
    as i have said on the Bodelwyddan castle page, i am an EVP researcher, and i have visited Denbigh castle in the course of my local investigations. i have captured many evp's at Denbigh castle. on of which was an A class evp saying "we ask u to be quiet", this was very strange as i was recording in the middle of the chapel at the time. with the amount and quailty of evp's ive recorded at Debigh castle and within the walls of the town, i can confirm that Denbigh, at least for me, is a hot spot for evp activity.
    Wed May 17 07:42:03 2006

Denbigh Castle grounds August 2006

Ms Jones (Denbigh)
    I was up at Denbigh Castle one night with 3 of my friends at around 12pm, we played dares in the dark and I got dared to go and stand by the well on my own for 5 minutes, they ran off to the other side of the castle, so they could see me. I stood there and stood there, 2 minutes in I heard screaming coming from the other side of the well. I looked up but no one was there and a splash of water at the bottom of the well, I froze, my 5 minutes were up, my friends came back I told them what I heard they didn't believe me. Only 1 did she told me her dad told her a ghost story like that when she was little. So was I dreaming or was it a ghost that lost her baby in the well?
    Mon Jan 8 10:18:16 2007

s.l.r denbigh
    i am 25 years old and have lived in denbigh my whole life, when i was a child i used to play up there with my cousins, and when i hit my teens i used to drink up there like most teens at the time, but i never saw anything to scare me, yet just after i turned 23 i lived up by the castle, i was walking home one night after work when i looked up towards the castle and saw what appeared to be something float along the top of the wall, i thought i must have been tired so i went straight home and it was only when i thought about it later on that i started to feel scared!
    Mon Nov 6 08:43:07 2006

Phill Pritchard (Denbigh)
    My mates Anton and I did some expeditions in Denbigh Castle and we have seen many orbs, figures and heard noises one of which shouted get out. It was in a deep English voice. We have also heard footsteps from the chamber under the wooden bridge so I believe the s.e.a's vigil to be true.
    Wed Aug 23 09:27:40 2006

• Photography

A haunted Denbigh Castle, North Wales

Comments from locals and visitors after watching the BBC Wales FILM
    Are the Welsh more supersticious or could a tourist walking about the
    castle grounds at night experiance an encounter...Well it's well of
    the beaten track.

EYE WITNESS ACCOUNTS

Thomas, Denbigh
    Me and my friends often hang around the castle and woods and we once heard a moaning comning from goblins tower. I also saw a figure standing close to the well. I really think the castle is haunted.
    Wed Feb 28 11:10:21 2007

Alex H-Jones, St Asaph
    It is indeed very scary, I was up there one evening walking my rabbit and I saw what looked to be nurse forms guarding the walls around the well area. There appeared to be 3-4 beings that evening. I have never since returned.
    Mon Feb 26 09:36:04 2007

Stephen , Castle Hill, Denbigh
    As mentioned earlier, I often walk my dogs through the woods and castle at all hours of the night and day. It is important to point out that I am neither a believer or a nonbeliever and remain open minded, indeed it seems that my son is "sensitive" in these matters and has had experiences in the past. I encountered a apparition at the foot of Goblin Tower only last week as I decended the steps from the cottage drive. It was a rainy night and it was particularly dark (around 12.15 am). It was the dogs that first alerted me to something and as I approached I saw a hooded figure with a long coat. There was a strange blue glow about this figure which made it look weird. On closer inspection it turned out to be another dog walker with a long coat and the glow was caused by his mobile phone which he was checking for messages. Funnily enough I scared the life out of this guy as I walked past him. I guess Im not a sensitive but also normal things can be thrown out of proportion depending on frame of mind....I'll keep looking and let you know, if you see something in the woods on a dark night, before freaking out shout out Stephen, as it could just be me.
    Mon Feb 12 11:00:00 2007

Denbigh Castle's ghosts

Denbigh Castle walls 2006

During the first 45 minute session I was in the Goblin Tower with my team of four members, the other two teams of five being located around various parts of the castle. I sat myself on a window ledge in the tower looking down into the darkness with a torch to help me see.

After about 10 minutes, I began to feel very nervous as if something was coming up the stone steps from the bottom of the tower. I lasted for about five minutes more and had to move to another area.

At this time one of the female members of the group (M) was feeling very nervous and said she had seen a small red ball of light floating around the tower.

I then decided to venture down to the bottom of the tower with a male member of the team (S) and as I got half way down, my legs became very weak and my head began to spin. I had to hold onto the wall for support. The feeling I was getting of unease was also noted by (S).

It wasn't until the early hours of the morning that I spoke to Mark O'Driscoll, who had also gone to the Tower with his team about two hours after my team had been there. I asked him how he felt during the session, and he recounted the exact same feelings of dread that I had experienced much earlier.

Instant Answers: Denbigh

Comments

Denbigh Travel Guide

Denbigh Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Denbigh things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Denbigh sightseeing.