Solva Travel Guide

Gorse in bloom

Solva Favorites

• biloxiboy's Profile Photo

by biloxiboy Written Jun 10, 2012

Favorite thing: My wife and I love Solva, and have spent a number of happy holidays there.
    If you want a quiet destination to wind down from everyday life, then this is the place, everything from walking around the headland at low tide, enjoying a quiet drink and meal at one of the 3 pubs in lower solva, you cannot beat this place.
    We have rented a small cottage in Lower Solva for a few years now, and to get up about 7.30am for an early morning stroll to the harbour, (leaving my wife asleep in bed), is something I love doing, totally peacefull start to the day, (sad or what?).
    If you want to dance the night away this is not for you, but for those of us approaching our vintage(?) years, then it is well worth a visit.

Fondest memory: The peace and quiet, even at busy times there seems to be a tranquility about the village.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Seniors

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

by aaaarrgh Updated Dec 14, 2004

Favorite thing: David Gray, 'sensitive singer-songwriter' of brilliant songs such as "Please Forgive Me" and "Babylon", grew up in Solva. David's father ran the multi-coloured Window on Wales gift shop in Main Street, Lower Solva. I lived in Solva before David Gray was famous, so never knowingly met him.

That reminds me of my least favorite thing about Solva - David Gray's father. He was a strange, paranoid guy who once threw my sister and me out of his shop because he thought we were 'spying' on behalf of another shopkeeper!!!

Fondest memory: For 20 years from 1979, Lower Solva was the location of Britain's second ever Butterfly Farm (the first was Syon House in London)!!Maybe if you look closely behind the large Georgian house on Main Street, you will see the remains of the vast glasshouses on the hill. The butterflies would occasionally escape and you could find these enormous exotic insects mixing with the 'cabbage whites', 'small blues' and 'fritillaries' on the hillside.

Also Christmas 1982 was memorable. Three feet of snow fell and nobody could get a vehicle into, or out of the village for a week. We missed a week of school and sledded down the steep main road on bakers' trays. Harbour House Restaurant made a vast cauldron of hot soup to eat. We walked a mile to the nearest farm for fresh milk.

• Zoo

• Solva Hotels

0 Hotels in Solva

Instant Answers: Solva

Comments

Solva Travel Guide
Map of Solva