Caernarfon Restaurants

by Balam
    by Balam

Most Recent Restaurants in Caernarfon

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Caffi Maes: Lloyd George knew my father - possibly !

by sourbugger Written Sep 22, 2012
    I knew your father.....

This Welsh language can't be that difficult. Even I can guess that 'Caffi' should be 'Cafe' (in French) which translates as 'Caff' to a Londoner. Come on invent your own words !

This cafe on the main square serves a very reasonable breakfast , and if it's not bucketing with rain (about 2 days a year) then the cafe affords a very pleasant view of the impressive castle and the sea beyond. Opposite the cafe stands a statue of Lloyd George. He represented the town as a MP for many years and even ended up as a PM during WW1. This is the only time that a Welshman has attained such high office in the UK. It's surprising that he was originally a provincial solictor rather than an eton-educated barrister. Perhaps social mobility wasn't so difficult as the social history books would have us believe. An interesting point to muse on over your plebian bacon sarnies (thumbs up on that one) at the Caffi Maes.

• Bwyty Ogof Y Ddraig Caernarfon Restaurant: Taste A Piece Of Wales

by lukewilliams Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Ogof Y Ddraig

Bwyty Ogof Y Ddraig is nestled within the town walls of historic Caernarfon. It is Welsh themed and has Celtic decor throughout. The ground floor is deep red in colour, has flame and coloured lighting and has a very busy atmosphere. Whereas the first floor is a green colour, the lights are dimmed down low and the sound of running water can be heard from our water feature. Wherever you choose to eat your food I'm sure you'd agree that ?Visiting Ogof y Ddraig (Translated as The Dragons Cave) is more of an experience than just eating out? Daily post taste test 2004

Favorite Dish: Their ?-la-C?rte menu is reasonably priced and all meals are cooked to order using fresh local produce where possible. The menu is well balanced to suit all tastes. We serve a wide selection of Meat, Poultry, Seafood and Vegetarian meals, all of which are homemade. To accompany your meal, there are a selection of fine wines available from around the world. I had the welsh lamb it was fantastic

• Mountain Climbing
    • Castles and Palaces

The Black Boy Inn: Sadly dissapointing

by Balam Updated Mar 21, 2011

The Black Boy Inn

Ever since my first visit to the Black Boy Inn in Easter 2009 i have wanted to call in again and try some of their great looking food so for my 40th Birthday while on a trip around various places in North Wales I had decided that I would like to spend my Actual birthday in Caernarfonon (Sunday April 11th 2010). and so Chose the Black Boy Inn for Dinner.

The Black Boy Inn was built around 1522 and is said to be one of the oldest inns in North Wales It was originally 2 Inns the 'King's Arms' and the 'Fleur de Lys' and only when one landlord bought the other out was The Black Boy Inn created becoming very much the same as it is today.
    We had called in earlier in the day just for a drink and to have a look at the menu.

By the time we arrived to eat at 1945 We went to the restaurant side were there was a few spare tables and asked for a table for two, Although there was one free the waitress asked if we would like to go and get some drinks while she got the table ready. We went to the bar area and got some drinks staying there for about 10 minutes until The waitress came and told us our table was ready. We went in and sat at one of the same tables that were free earlier and although maybe knife and forks were put on I don't really see why we had to wait 10 minutes to sit down.
    The restaurant area was busy but there was still a couple of free tables still although there was only really one waitress taking orders and bringing food out, another girl and a lad made the odd appearance from the kitchen to bring food out.
    I had already made up my mind to have the Mixed Grill and after another 10 minute wait the waitress took our order coming back shortly after to inform me that there were no mixed grills left. I had another look at the menu and asked for Game pie which came with Mashed Potato and Veg but asked for Chips instead of Mash. I was informed that they will not change the menu, something which i found to be quite strange and not very customer friendly. The only reason i could come up with for it was that the computer till ordering system would not give her that option. Something other more customer friendly places get over by making a quick trip into the Kitchen and informing the chef that Table 5 or 6 Would like something different
    In the end I opted for Sirloin Steak Which came with Chips, Tomato and a Mushroom. I was 3rd choice lucky and 45 minutes after we had walked in our food arrived.

The Steak was cooked perfectly and was delicious which made up for the chips (Which came in a separate bowl) That had been cooked for a little too long on a temperature that was a little too low becoming overdone looking but a bit too soft.
    After our main course we looked at the sweet menu and I opted for profiteroles, while we were waiting the girl who came out of the kitchen occasionally went to the till and then put our bill on the table. We gave it her back and asked if we could actually have the bill when we had finished our meal as we were still waiting for our sweet. She asked how long we had been waiting and my answer of 7 minutes and 45 seconds which not a long time certainly seemed to get her moving, she apologised taking the bill away and going to the kitchen from which shortly after our desserts were brought with an apology from the Chef.

The food is nice here and it is a really nice old building that is well worth a visit however I was quite disappointed overall and on future visits to Caernarfon if I call in The Black Boy Inn it will sadly probably be only for a drink.

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo

The Black Boy Inn: Great food-vs-Terrible Service

by Myfanwe Updated May 9, 2010

The Black Boy Inn

We visited the Black Boy Inn to Celebrate Gareth's (Balam) 40th Birthday. Whilst I could not fault the food here - it was delicious. Sadly the service and waiting times really let the place down. Our visit was in April so not during the height of the tourist season although saying hat, the reastaurant was very busy. It really did seem the two girls and the occasional boy, serving in the restaurant could have done with an extra pair of hands - or two! After waiting ten minutes for a table, we sat in the restaurant area and ordered our food. Gareth ordered mixed grill only to be told it was off the menu, his second choice was Game Pie which came with mash only he wanted it with chips; he was told the chef cannot change the meals so could not substitute mash with chips! His third choice was sirloin steak which he enjoyed but it was a bit of a pallava getting there!! I ordered duck with plum sauce which was absolutely delicious. Afterwards we decided to order desert, we had to wait for the desert menu, for the order to be taken and it took so long for the deserts to come that the other waitress thought we were waiting for the bill and promptly plonked this on our table. Shocked and surprised, we told her we don't usually have our bill before we've finished our meal. She then skulked out to the kitchen and our deserts arrived with apologies from the Chef. The deserts were great as were the meals, it's a pity the service wasn't up to the same standard.

Castell: Very Smart

by Balam Updated Apr 21, 2010

The Castell

The Castell used to be a bit of a scruffy drinking mans pub, last year we called in for a drink but i did not do a tip about it, i don't really know why i suppose i just never got round to it. we called in for a drink this year (2010) and i was really suprised at it's remarkable transformation from a Drinkers pub to a very smart Bar Restaurant.
    We only had a drink as although there was what appeared to be a seperate dining area the menu's were not readily available to view and as we were only lookin for a light lunch I suppose we did not want to make the commitment of sitting in the eating area or asking for the menu. I feel it would have been much better if some menu's had been left around or written on a chalk board perhaps.
    The food that was brought out for diners did look nice though so it is on my list for a future visit.

Honour, Peking and Cantonese Restaurant: Nice Chinese

by Balam Updated Mar 31, 2009

Honour Peking and Cantonese Restaurant,Caernarfon

This is a nice Chinese Restaurant just on Caernarfons busy main square situated just outside the City walls.
    Although the decor seemed a little tired looking or maybe just slightly out of date the food was great and service was fast and very friendly.
    We had a set meal and there was plenty of food,

• Singles

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Y Tebot Bach - Tea Room: Y Tebot Bach - Tea Room

by sue_stone Written May 13, 2006

Tea & Welsh Cakes

After our visit to the castle, we needed a little snack. We had a walk around the old-town area looking at the café options, and decided upon Y Tebot Bach.

Y Tebot Bach is a small tea room, located right near the castle. Lonely Planet claim it is the nicest of the tea rooms near the castle, which we read after we had chosen it, so we did well!

It is small and cosy, with friendly staff and simple yet tasty looking meals on offer. You can have lunch here, as most of the other patrons were doing, or if like us you had a huge breakfast, you can just stop in for a drink and a snack.

Favorite Dish: So, still full from breakfast, we decided that we would just have a snack. We both ordered a pot of tea (mine decaf). To eat, I had a locally made Shortbread biscuit and Alex had some 'Welsh Cakes', which looked a little like flat scones, and were served with butter and jam.

It was the perfect sized snack for us, and soon we were rejuvenated and back on the road to check out some more of the beautiful Welsh countryside.

• Zmrzlina's Profile Photo

Molly's: Sunday Lunch is Not To Be Missed

by Zmrzlina Written Jul 21, 2003

This restaurant looks like any average Welsh restaurant, but their Sunday lunch is so very cheap and so very filling. And we had the most charming young woman wait on us. Very fussy about getting the cloth napkin to fan just right.

Favorite Dish: Oh I wish I had noted all the dishes I ate, but I didn't. I just know I liked it.

• neilward's Profile Photo

The Bell Cafe: Ding Dong !!

by neilward Written Sep 6, 2009

Well worth a visit.

It was cold and windy...So guess what???
    James and I had 2 mugs of steaming Hot Chocolate !!!!
    Well worth £3.00
    They certainly did the trick.

Favorite Dish: Hot Chocolate drinks.

Instant Answers: Caernarfon

Comments

Caernarfon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Caernarfon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Caernarfon sightseeing.